Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved***
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) Reply with quote

***Solved***

So guess what? What I did was:

1. Re-set the valve clearance to zero.
2. Started it for just a few seconds.
3. Re-set the valve clearance to 1 1/2 turn preload.

No cat, no anything else, and here is the result -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) Reply with quote

kreissig wrote:
two years ago when it passed with a blow-by condition. It actually failed first. I went home and backed off the pre-load on the valves, took it back and it passed.

jberger wrote:
That said, your comment above is very interesting to me... you backed off the preload.. how much?

kreissig wrote:

I just did the same thing as two years ago. I set the preload at 1 and 1/2 turns instead of 2.

kreissig wrote:
***Solved***

Re-set the valve clearance to 1 1/2 turn preload.

Yay!
and the prize for refreshing your memory about the solution goes to jberger Smile
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
kreissig wrote:
two years ago when it passed with a blow-by condition. It actually failed first. I went home and backed off the pre-load on the valves, took it back and it passed.

jberger wrote:
That said, your comment above is very interesting to me... you backed off the preload.. how much?

kreissig wrote:

I just did the same thing as two years ago. I set the preload at 1 and 1/2 turns instead of 2.

kreissig wrote:
***Solved***

Re-set the valve clearance to 1 1/2 turn preload.

Yay!
and the prize for refreshing your memory about the solution goes to jberger Smile

That's true Jon! I did some other things at that time, so I was not sure if that was the silver bullet. But.....hell, maybe it was. It seems so now!
Very Happy
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for giving a follow-up. I'll remember this if my Syncro ever has similar symptoms. Enjoy that 2.2!
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Let me remove the wine goggles first.
So I'm seeing it run that clean, I mean those numbers, without a Cat?
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

I believe the numbers are with his current catalytic converter, just not a different new cat.
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. It's my original CAT (Rocky Mountain Westy made system).

It also may not be as efficient now, but passing.
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Here we go in 2018...

This was with a leaking seat on injector no# 3

This is with injectors back from Mr. Injector, new wires, cap, rotor, coil, cat. O2 sensor, no vacuum leaks, and 5 degrees BTDC, good grounds, new body-to-motor ground strap...ect...

I've now used Sea Foam in the intake and re-gap'd the plugs to .035 and adjusted the valves to 1.5 times in - but I'm thinking I'm going to back off 1/4 turn more.

I will retard the timing to 3 degrees.

Vanistan 2.2

Billet throttle Body

Vacuum Switching Module

The idle-adjustment screw (allen on top) has virtually no effect on idle speed - yes with the O2 sensor disconnected and the RPM signal to Stabilizer disconnected....no effect.

Hmmmm???

At lest it always idles at about 850
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Did you ever end up checking compression?

I about nuked my van after throwing parts at it for weeks and multiple failed (oregon DEQ) emissions tests until I just did a compression/leak down test and found out I had a bad intake valve set on one cylinder. it caused extremely high HC numbers, and the van ran great under load above 1k RPM.
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

@Mikesarge

Hi...yea I did. Its good across all cylinders. I've got this aggressive cam for the 2.2 so....I'm thinking it has a bit to do with it.

Although...I've never cleaned out the Plenum with Sea Foam before, so I hope to see an effect from that.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Your cam has a bit to do with it.. but only because you are doing the idle tests. Remove the driveshaft and take it to a dyno smog station. Don't point out that it is AWD. The rolling road test is much more forgiving on digifant FI. I just smog'd my 2.4 (this version is running the RJE cam) with excellent results. Adjusting your valves 1/2 a turn will not work either as the preload drops to zero after you run it for a moment.

J

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Ha... that one was from 2016 I forgot.. With stock exhaust

This is from 2018 with the RMW exhaust.

The only trick with my 2.4 is the idle is soooo lumpy that the machine will not read the exhaust for the test to start. You either have to stuff a rag in the tail pipe with the probe or I have made a tail pipe adapter that necks the outlet down to 1 1/4". This creates enough back pressure and still allows it to run ok.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Quote:
The only trick with my 2.4 is the idle is soooo lumpy that the machine will not read the exhaust for the test to start.

I've had the same issue in Oregon with my RJE 2.2. Never got to the level of timing or valve adjustments though. Just a HOT cat.
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Thanks @jberger for the info. I have a guy that looks past my Billet TB and VSM, but he would not roll it....I'm sure of it.

I tried to go one other place and they mentioned my TB and flagged the VSM as modifying the EGR system!

Oh well...these places do and write what they want, even though I explained what it was.

I've got one more card to play - then I'll post the results.

Thanks for the feedback again.
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Syncro CA smog (Vanistan 2.2) ***Solved*** Reply with quote

Kreissig,
any updates?

I'm having similar issue with a low mile Vanistan engine. Valve adjustments have seem to help, but the engine is not holding a vacuum. Running too rich to pass smog. Suspect injectors, valves not correctly seating and maintaining a vacuum. Grounds, oxygen sensor, hoses have been checked. Also wonder that the RMW cat may have failed given it was running rich.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: