Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1992 Cabriolet Engine Swap
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: 1992 Cabriolet Engine Swap Reply with quote

I have a 1992 Cabriolet with an excellent body, but no engine or transmission. What engine would be the easiest and most reliable to put in this car. It is standard transmission. I am new to Water cooled VWs. I would like to buy a complete donor car. What would you suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Cabriolet Engine Swap Reply with quote

Do you have all the electronic parts that are attached to the engine [injectors, sensors, etc]? If not, donor car that is exactly the same.

There are a couple different fuel systems in that year Cabriolet. Make certain if you have a California version, you get a California donor. Federal with Federal.

If your looking for more power, then there are other options, but I think your biggest issue is not with the engine, but what parts you have left that will control what parts you are going to give it. If you give it the wrong parts, you will be wishing you started with a donor car with the right parts.

Keep with the 020 transmission. There are some slight differences [axle size and input shaft size] they they are somewhat easy to resolve. The Cabriolet should have the larger 100mm CV axles.
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Cabriolet Engine Swap Reply with quote

For an "easy" install I'd buy a MK3 and put motor&trans in. Techtonics Tuning makes a downpipe to facilitate install. I"d rewire the car to mk3 fusebox. Ditch as much of original wiring as possible. You would have a scan capable car. It would be emissions compliant to the mk3 standard. I"d look for an obd1 motor just to avoid having to install the evap system. Flanges for driveshafts on a Mk3 are 100 mm. Standard cabriolet 100mm version shafts will fit .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: