Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Grill Mesh Insert
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoagy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

Just a quickie. Does anyone know what colour the mesh inserts would be if new. Just painted the car but the inserts have faded after 60 years. Wanta clean them up.

Thanks

Hoagy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

Mine have always been a raw, but dull metal- but I did re-spray a set a grey metallic just to get them looking better. I had some wheel paint left in a can. To knock off the gloss and metallic sheen a bit, I rubbed them with a terry towel/cloth after they flash dried- they look like factory fresh in my opinion.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

When I restore a car, I usually just media blast them and a coat of clear to prevent surface rust from forming. Nice, simple & clean look.

But in the past, I’ve heard and seen some mesh screens restored with a Tan colored flocking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
When I restore a car, I usually just media blast them and a coat of clear to prevent surface rust from forming. Nice, simple & clean look.

But in the past, I’ve heard and seen some mesh screens restored with a Tan colored flocking.

My all original ‘65 is flocked, it seems to be more like a greyish white than tan.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

Flocking, or oxidation?
Hoagy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

Thanks all. I ended up painting them black. Looks good gave it a bit of a pop. Will post shortly.
Thanks again.
Hoagy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Flocking, or oxidation?

Mine appeared to have been flocked. Very fuzzy.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

My '65 is tan and flocked on the front side, as is my former Zenith Blue '67. Looking from the rear, it's just bare wire. It seems only the front of the mesh received the coating.

1967 front

1967 rear (from the same car)

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

They were all finished in an off white flocking.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

Whats flocking vs spray paint?
I just thought they were fuzzy due to years of dust. Laughing
Does anyone have a source for flocking paint?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-te...ibers.html

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grill Mesh Insert Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
My '65 is tan and flocked on the front side, as is my former Zenith Blue '67. Looking from the rear, it's just bare wire. It seems only the front of the mesh received the coating.

1967 front

1967 rear (from the same car)

That’s exactly how my ‘65’s grill mesh looks like as I mentioned earlier, thanks for the pics. I actually forgot all about this thread. I was going to snap a pic of mine to show KTphil since he didn’t believe me and thought I was confusing oxidation for flocking. They are 100% flocked.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: