Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid Question... Anyone know the weight capacity on the fiberglass pop top from a 1978 VW Westy? How much can I pile on top of it, before it's too much? (Putting solar panels on it, say 100 lbs'sh) Plan on making brackets, and drilling into the frame of the pop top...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Please disregard my question. Just going to do the non-stupid thing and put on lighter solar panels so I don't have to worry about it. Found some light, under 10 lbs, and flexible panels Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Search solar panels here on the samba - you would have seen what others have done.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kavyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am moving into an older home with an attached garage below it. Unfortunately the bus is too tall to get in, but would fit once inside of the garage. I don't think that letting out the air is going to get me enough room. I am wondering if I would be able to remove the wheels and put the drum brakes on a wheel dolly like that linked below and push it in?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

Thank you!
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know the technical name for this spade connector that snaps into the brake light switch plastic connector? Any idea on where to get them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kavyp wrote:
I am moving into an older home with an attached garage below it. Unfortunately the bus is too tall to get in, but would fit once inside of the garage. I don't think that letting out the air is going to get me enough room. I am wondering if I would be able to remove the wheels and put the drum brakes on a wheel dolly like that linked below and push it in?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

Thank you!

Sounds like that will work, but I hope your bus isn't a daily driver?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:
Does anyone know the technical name for this spade connector that snaps into the brake light switch plastic connector? Any idea on where to get them?

Thanks!

It goes by many names.

Right angle spade connector
https://www.belmetric.com/noninsulated-connectors-...-5381.html

Right angle L type crimp connector
https://www.amazon.com/6-3mm-Right-Angle-Terminal-...gle+l+type

Flag spade connector
https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Insulated-Disconne...Src=detail
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It looks like the original ones have a small tab on them that allows them to snap into the plastic connector... just thinking it might be a special type of flag connector...?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:
It looks like the original ones have a small tab on them that allows them to snap into the plastic connector... just thinking it might be a special type of flag connector...?

It does for just that reason. That first one listed may have the tang to push out to do so. Hard to tell.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kavyp wrote:

Thank you!

As long as it is off the backing plates and the drum is secured to the hub like there is a wheel attached. Making not sit on the backing plate might put you hanging off the edge of that dolly though, which might flip the dolly. So it's a toss up really. (sorry, probably not the definitive answer you were looking for)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ratwell has a good write up on electrical connectors if anyone is looking for this information.

The flag connectors that snap into the plastic connectors are called "FASTIN-FASTON" by AMP. Ratwell recommends https://www.digikey.com/ as a supplier.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Will the 1972 center seat fit in my 1976? I tried searching but couldnt come up with anything. I figured I'm asking something with an obvious answer Rolling Eyes or I've missed the "all encompassing seat thread cross reference chart." lol

Found someone with NOS 1972 Center seats and the detailed photos look like they are in incredible condition. Removed in 1973 and stored in his basement until a week ago. $725 each
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
Will the 1972 center seat fit in my 1976? I tried searching but couldnt come up with anything. I figured I'm asking something with an obvious answer Rolling Eyes or I've missed the "all encompassing seat thread cross reference chart." lol

Found someone with NOS 1972 Center seats and the detailed photos look like they are in incredible condition. Removed in 1973 and stored in his basement until a week ago. $725 each

Wow, that's rater optomistic Shocked

The middle seat will fit fine, the rear uses a different mount for the backrest and will require some creativity on your part to adapt.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That's how I got my 3/4 center seat, I'm still searching for that foot vent I got with it. I've squirreled it away somewhere.
They were buried in the garage when they sold their family Bus, they told the guy to come back for it after they cleaned up. He never did. Their mechanic mentioned it to me, called them up, said come and get it. No cost!!!

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Do flywheel shims need to be oiled or greased when they are installed?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

Yes, they are a bearing just like any other on the crankshaft.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

So use grease on them then?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

So use grease on them then?

Sure, or oil or assembly lube.

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Exactly where does the felt ring go? I don't see any recess for it to sit in. Does the bolt plate hold it in?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1.8 Type 4 Cylinder Head set I picked up this past weekend for $40.
These are indeed 1.8’s, correct? 41x34 valve, or so I roughly mic’d.
Part #021101371J
Part #021101371S

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 380 of 515

Jump to: