Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

yea, i think it is possible to upgrade to the newer shift rod bushing holder under the shifter without cutting the tunnel open. spot welds holding the existing bracket in should be easy enough to see from the top. I imagine with a drill, hammer, and chisel you could remove the old one. it would be tricky but not impossible to snake the old bracket out and new bracket in from the hole where the rod couples with the trans at the back of the tunnel. use some house wire to snake it through. you could pre drill some guide holes on the new bracket using the old one as a guide and hold it in place temporarily with some sheet metal screws, then plug weld from the top.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Read the latest Dune Buggies and Hot VW's- good story on how to replace the bracket.Very easy.
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

That is just the coolest Bug I think Ive ever seen! What a beauty!

-Brother Chuck

mas00 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brother Chucks VWs:

1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

If you scroll down about 20 posts-you will see how my second VW truck I am building from scratch is progressing.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

A little off topic but I was in San Antonio and ran a VW shop in 1972 ..where did your uncle have his shop and what was the name. Unfortunately, I did not know of anybody doing this kind of conversion. Later I worked for VW dealership on the southside....he probably knew it well.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
That is just the coolest Bug I think Ive ever seen! What a beauty!

-Brother Chuck

mas00 wrote:

thanks Chuck.. she's been a pain in the a$$ but hopefully it will be all worth it in the end... and that end seems about invisible at this point haha
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
A little off topic but I was in San Antonio and ran a VW shop in 1972 ..where did your uncle have his shop and what was the name. Unfortunately, I did not know of anybody doing this kind of conversion. Later I worked for VW dealership on the southside....he probably knew it well.

My Uncle never owned a shop.. He actually hung out with a old drug dealer that owned a mechanic shop and he hung out at the mechanic shop. That's where he learned how to work on cars, paint, chop em up and pretty much do everything, and experiment.

The conversion was done in Kerrville, but my whole family grew up on the south side, even myself until I was a teenager. There was one shop there famous called Buggy Warehouse but they moved far about 15-20 miles out of SA. My uncle knew all the mechanic/paint guys in SA and all his good friends worked on cars. He told me he's owned over 100 cars in his day.

He said he buddy the other day called because he was selling a Mercury Comet for only $800. Anyways.. he is basically passing on down the "mechanic vw trade" to me by helping me with my bug-truck, which I'm forever in his debt. He is too old to work on anything by himself but I guess I'm injecting a little life back in to an old gear head.

Last name is Moreno.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

August 18th Update.

Seems like things are moving at a snails pace.. rainy weather, family birthday's to attend to, but finally had a struggling day today. The transmission is in, and the back axles are on. I need to purchase a set of rubber 0-rings for the rear axle. They didn't come with the transmission gasket kit. So I wasn't able to put the brakes and wheels on.

The transmission is a bit hard to turn the back axles which my uncle said it shouldn't be that way, but we started to turn them for a while and they loosened up. He said maybe once the weight of the wheels, disc, and brakes maybe things will be a bit easier and more in alignment. Not sure.

Still trying to look into information about replacing the shift rod bushing, and bracket and then I "SHOULD" be done with the chassis. I got to hammer/crack off some of the fiber glass on the back near the window and lucky for me underneath is metal!! So I'm a little happy as I was worried I was going to have to find some metal and weld the back and it might be all bondo/fiber glass.

Bad thing is my work is going to start picking up making me more tired than I already am and I'm also going out of the country for 2 weeks in September so.. slow it goes. I was hoping to have this whole thing done by the end of the year, but it is not looking good. Sad

Last weekend I did however gut the car "fully ". All the windows, rubber seals and electrical are gone. I have all original windows with vw logo on them so that's good. The electrical will be whole beast and I will worry about it when i get there, which seems far away. Until next time buggers!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Thanks
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

thanks
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Any more pictures of the restoration?
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

no I went out of the country for two weeks and it's basically been rain every week since. My car is not in a garage so I can't work on it. This weekend was the first time I got to start on it in about two months and I ran into some problems. The rear bearing on the axle won't go on. I purchased a set of extra gaskets and right now with five on one side there is still a huge gap like space for about eight more gaskets which doesn't seem right to me so I'm trying to figure out what's wrong as this is pretty much the last thing I need to get the back end together and I can get it back to an inside garage to work on the rest while I blast the body.

I just got my computer back as well because I had to order a new charging adapter as my last one shorted out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: