Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel injector comparison
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: fuel injector comparison Reply with quote

with my engine rebuild, i had installed 4 new 'disc' injectors from O'Reilly. have ran them for 7,500 miles and swapped them out today with some OEM Bosch ones i rebuilt. short story = the disc type (brand names under GP Sorensen, Tomco, etc) i have do not perform as well as the Bosch.

first, a clear shot of pintle vs disc injectors

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now, comparison of nozzle length of the OEM Bosch (on very bottom) vs the GP Sorensen ones i bought. notice the length difference of how far the nozzle projects into the intake manifold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here's what i noticed, seat-of-the-pants driving but a definite change:

- cold start is same HOWEVER, power to take off from cold start is better. i could feel a bog with the disc type that just was much less with the pintle.

- 1st gear is stronger when cold, no difference when warm. HOWEVER, second, third, and 4th were stronger. i'd describe it as 'zippy-er', quicker to rev. more confidence in 4th during cruising at 60-70mph as it just felt stronger.

- idle is about the same, same roughness/smoothness.

for those that are interested, i rehabbed by injectors by removing the inlet filter, a hot soak in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour with some purple simple green HD, flushed with a mixture of naptha, gasoline, and 2 stroke oil (i added some chainsaw gas to prevent corrosion after cleaning). could see the spray pattern nicely in my test rig powered by cheapo $24 pump Bosch clone>filter>pressure regulator>container to catch regulator outfall.

[/img]

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector comparison Reply with quote

Does not surprise me one bit. Port injection can greatly be affected by how the spray hits the intake valve. Thanks for posting this as a reference for what Stock looks like compared to Off the Shelf ‘Close Enough ‘ parts replacement.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: