Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

The other day I picked up a 1964 Beetle that I have been eyeing for some time. I bought it from a family friend who purchased it from the original owner about ten years ago. The original owner was an older lady's who lived in downtown Montreal and passed away. My friend drove the car the first couple of years they had it and then it sat for the last six years.

I towed the little bug home and quickly set to work learning about beetles as I have only rreally wrenched on my bus for the past two decades.

I have so many questions and I hope you Beetle guys are patient. I frequent the baywindow bus forums daily but never come over here.

Bug hasn't been washed in six years. Covered in dust and paint is faded bad.

At home with the bus.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1815192.jpg[/image

Dents and dings on every fender but mostly original paint except for spray bomb touch ups and fender fixes.

Some rust on the fender lips. I'm guessing there are no replacement metal for the lips and I'll have to fabricate them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1815189.jpg[/img

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

You are going to need to replace the heater channels....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1815188.jpg

Just put up a "WTB" ad for lower rear fender sections. Someone somewhere will get hit on the front of the fender and the rear will be fine.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Congrats on your new toy! Get the Bentley VW repair manual and also the Muir manual for "Compleat Idiots." These will help you navigate repairs.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Have the idiot guide already. Going to buy the Bentley asap.

Eric forgive my lack of knowledge but I thought and was hoping I could cut out and weld in new pieces to what I thought was the rocker panel. Are you saying this outer lip is a part of the heater channel? That would explain why I couldn't find a rocker in the replacement panels.

As for the fenders I really need a new driver's rear and will post an ad. The others I like your idea of removing lower sections from damaged fenders.

Can someone tell me if the interior upholstery is original?

Craig

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Nice.
Yes, the upholstery looks like the 64 only cord pattern
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:

Eric forgive my lack of knowledge but I thought and was hoping I could cut out and weld in new pieces to what I thought was the rocker panel. Are you saying this outer lip is a part of the heater channel? That would explain why I couldn't find a rocker in the replacement panels.

Yes heater channel. If it is that bad there, the rest of the channel is not far behind from falling apart.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

First thing I noted were the seats looking original and in very good shape. The passenger door panel looks great! The car doesn't appear to have a lot of wear; the e brake handle looks never used, the top of the shifter column below the knob doesn't appear to have any paint worn off, the carpet at the lower corner of driver's door isn't worn and the pedals don't have much wear. Curious as to the mileage showing on the odo?

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Eric thanks for the clarification. You are probably right about the inside of the channel. I'll know when I start to dig in. I don't mind rust repair and know too well about what often lies in behind. Check out my bus build in my signature line. The floor pans are original and the only other rust besides the fenders is the rear inner wheel wells. In the meantime I did find this piece but it looks simple enough to make myself with some captive nut welded to backside.

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/BugTo67RustRepair/113801047.html

The interior in the car is so clean. The door panels are perfect, the dash, the headliner and yes I believe there isn't a lot of mileage on the car. The rubber pedal covers are original and only have a little wear. The odometer has 2200 miles so it's rolled over for sure. All the knocks and dings I'm tacking up to downtown parking in the city.

Here is a shot of the engine. It's been replaced with an AE code with a 34 pict. I'm now trying to get the carb to idle properly. I think I'll need to pull it and clean it out.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

I'm surprised with that little wear showing that it had rolled. Perhaps more distance miles than local. No matter which, it's nice to have the original interior in such nice shape Cool

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Id get used german stock fenders, stay away from aftermarket repros, they are mostly all junk, thin, poorly shaped. this nice bugs deserves good used originals.

Neat little Bug you got there.

There appears to be some repaint overspray in the spare tire well. the round cover in the spare wheel well should be black, not red.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Turns out the odometer has 20238 miles on it not 2000. completely misread that. I thought the first number was tenths of a mile.

Learned this morning that the radio even works! My son and his friend were in car last night and must have left it on. Th volume was so faint I couldn't notice. The voulme know is super tight. Is there some way to free it up so it turns more freely?

Also got the carb running and idling better. Loosened the idle jet an 1/8th of a turn. Must have been bottoming out.

Lastly I should. My bug a deluxe? How do you tell.

There is no overspray in the spare tire compartment that I can see.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

You could try a tiny amount of penetrating oil on the radio switch shaft where it goes into the body of the radio. Repeat till it loosens up.

Could be the Beetle was traded in and the dealer put in new upholstery, door panels and carpet to clean it up.

Standard Beetle would have less "chrome", and black knobs.

You should also be able to tell from from the chassi number and front VIN plate.
MOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Lookin good cant wait to see it!
Next summer we can do some bug trips instead of bus Cool
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. You'll have to pop by and check it out.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Turns out the odometer has 20238 miles on it not 2000. completely misread that. I thought the first number was tenths of a mile.

Learned this morning that the radio even works! My son and his friend were in car last night and must have left it on. Th volume was so faint I couldn't notice. The voulme know is super tight. Is there some way to free it up so it turns more freely?

My bug a deluxe? How do you tell.

There is no overspray in the spare tire compartment that I can see.

It is entirely possible that 20,238 is the actual mileage (not rolled over) given the wear. My '65 had 11,650 when I bought it (it now has around 11,660), so they're out there!

Cool that it has a Blaupunkt AND that it works. While those were certainly proper optional equipment, most were Sapphires.

Bugs destined for US delivery were all Deluxes. They had many distinguishing features, most notably on the outside would be "ram protection" (the towel bars, aka overriders and bumper guards), hood and side body trim (as pointed out above), and most notably on the inside would be the two-spoke steering wheel with chrome horn bar and Wolfsburg crest, dash trim, fuel gauge, and full headliner. If you order a birth certificate, it will tell you all you want to know, even if the engine is original to the car (you have to provide them with the engine number in your request.)

If the trunk apron area wasn't resprayed, somebody purposefully sprayed the three access covers red. They are black from the factory.

rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Congrats on your find!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
If the trunk apron area wasn't resprayed, somebody purposefully sprayed the three access covers red. They are black from the factory.

Here is a thread I started about that inspection cover abnormality in certain 1964 bugs

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434733&highlight=
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

WOW!! ...I have NEVER seen a 54 year old beetle with such a pristine original rear bumper! That's amazing!! Did the front bumper survive too??
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

Rare to find a mid '60's Beetle with such good interior.

As to the front trunk, I'd say it was partially repainted/spot-painted but with a brush, not sprayed. Look at the ledge just under the washer reservoir and between the silver colored paint code sticker. You can see that the red gets slightly lighter more to the left of the sticker. Also evidence of paint run in the horizontal seam below the washer reservoir shelf. The semi-round access cover at the left side has the same shade of the lighter red. To the right of the paint sticker, you can see a slanted section of the lighter red. Such a hard edge would be indicative of brush application. My suggestion is to remove all 3 of those covers (single screw holds each one), scuff the surface with #320 wet sandpaper, wipe clean, and spray paint with semi-gloss black. The spare tire will hide most of that anyway so it should not be a worry.

FYI per this thread on equivalent paints, Rust-O-Leum's Regal Red is a very close match to your Ruby Red. I have a '67 Beetle project that I want to paint Ruby Red so that I've tried to memorize the Rust-O-Leum color. It's likely that the brushed-on paint in your trunk is that Rust-O-Leum color. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424324&highlight=spray
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 ruby red sun roof new addition to the family Reply with quote

That's a spectacular spare tire well for a 64 that appears to be sporting its original paint. Likely brake fluid dripped down and ate the paint in that area and someone cleaned it up and touched it up with a brush. No big deal. I'd gladly trade the shape mine have been in for that and not even touch it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: