Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwlego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Hi all,

a few days ago I got the "Birth Certificate"of my February 1950 Hebmuller. The car was delivered in two tone L203 schwarz/black and L202 korallenrot / coral red.

Unfortunately, the car right now is freshly painted in black and ivory. Thats how I bought it a few months ago. Since I like the original combination better and anyway I want to have it in the original combination, I need to repaint the sides.

I saw a discussion in another forum, that the three digit color codes have only been introduced later and that coral red was previously labeled L50.

Is this true and does anybody have a definite answer on this question? Anybody having the same color code on a Hebmuller?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks and best regards

Richard
4-43 Type 82e KdF
5-43 Type 82e KdF
8-46 Standard
7-48 Standard
9-48 early Export
7-49 Standard
2-50 Hebmüller
4-50 Export
10-51 Export ragtop
10-50 Barndoor Minibus
5-52 Export
8-52 Barndoor Magirus fire truck
3-53 Barndoor Smoothgate Pickup
6-53 Barndoor Ambulance
9-54 Barndoor Deluxe Samba
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the early colour codes you're after...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevm wrote:
These are the early colour codes you're after...

I don´t think that helps him much.
What is LM 70 , LM 40 , LM 80 ?
A code of an actual paint company, wich fits the coral red, would be usefull.
There where some Hebs with red sides painted during the last years.
The owners must have had some kind of color code at the paint shop.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Hello. Has there been any resolution to the L202 paint mixing formula? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Go with Glasurit and you'll get an honest tone.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Going with Glasurit would be fine, but what mixing code is there for base clear? There are so many coral reds out there, but Heb specifies L202. That is my dilemma. It is not the L50 that Split Karmann’s used.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Go online and find a Glasurit supplier in your area. Call them and see if they can find that # on their computer. If it comes up, you'll get an exact match. Mine did. I bought a gallon of paint a month ago and it matches perfectly my 10 year old stuff.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

It is not so easy to find the correct paint code for "Korallenrot". As there were two different Volkswagen "Korallenrot" paints along the years. The first one was used 1949-1952 on Hebmuller and Karmann convertibles, for the two tone paint scheme coralred/black (besides of the ivory/black scheme).

In the later Fifties there was another Volkswagen bug paint available with unfortunately the same name: Korallenrot. This one is clearly lighter and more in a "salmon" tone than the earlier deeper red "Korallenrot" correct to 49/50 Hebs and 49/52 split Karmann verts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Until this point, no body came up with the correct sample or mixing formula for the 49-52 korallenrot . Still looking to find it. Help is wanted Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Hello Peter, I was able to look inside the semaphore pocket of 428 and mix a color matching the coral red. I believe I still have the color sample and a batch of paint in my shop. I was able to share the code with Bill 309 who used it recently. Regards, Matt
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

I have a PPG basecoat/clearcoat formula that I was able to match from
The semaphore pockets of Heb 428
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

A recent restoration on Heb 309 with L202 that was matched from a small
area inside the semaphore pocket of Heb 428. The decision was to go with the red color that was used on the car back in 1965/66.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hebmueller color code L202 (korallenrot) Reply with quote

Great news from heb 428... thanks. Looks realy good.
Since a few days i am informed from a heb owner that underneath a wrong color by coïncidence, the original Korallenrot was found.
Due to other things on his mind, there is no hurry to take of the outer paint as it was found on a spot outside the normal view and discovered due to a small damage. The goal is to undo a part of the paint, polish it and scan it to get an exact formula for Korallenrot on a 100% original redpaint from the factory.
Do not ask for further info on the car or owner as it will be not answered from my side. looking forward to mix it.
peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: