Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed emissions & EGR disconnected
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Latunn2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Failed emissions & EGR disconnected Reply with quote

I went for my first emissions test in my 82 vanagon and failed the CO portion of it. While looking around to see if I have an O2 sensor (I dont) I found that the previous owner cut and crimped the tube from the EGR filter into the pipe that leads to the catalytic converter (in the pic it is above where it is labeled "CO test point"). Could this be causing the failure? Why would someone disconnect it? Any ideas of things I can do to help the CO emissions passing? The van is running well, but it does smell like gas. I already plan to mess with the idle screw. Any other tips?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed emissions & ERG disconnected Reply with quote

The EGR system will rust out and the replacement parts are expensive. I don't think that is why you failed.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed emissions & ERG disconnected Reply with quote

Latunn2 wrote:
I already plan to mess with the idle screw. Any other tips?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed emissions & EGR disconnected Reply with quote

EGR will cause NOx issues, not CO.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Failed emissions & EGR disconnected Reply with quote

Can you give us the Test Readings= helps to diagnose =
Still have Fuel Injection on the Engine ? No Carbs... Items we need to know-

Easy things that increase CO, Dirty Engine Air Filter, Dirty engine oil that may be loaded up with Hydrocarbons if you’re running Rich to begin with
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Failed emissions & EGR disconnected Reply with quote

The catalytic convertor may have also been gutted out. The screw you want to mess with is the screw in the air flow sensor. From the factory, it would have had an aluminum tamper proof plug covering it. Counter clockwise leans it out.

You are going to have to get the engine running as lean as possible without a misfire. Some states may fail you just because the EGR plumbing and filter are missing. Sounds like they are only interested in what comes out the tailpipe.

When was the last time it was tuned up?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: