Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

I doubt this would work but....

Can the 2.1 WBX cat bolt up to a 1.9 WBX muffler? Is the 2.1 cat outlet ID the same size as the 1.9 muffler inlet ID?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

Ok. I think I finally found an answer.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581391&highlight=1.9+muffler

It seems the 2.1 cat will bolt to a 1.9 muffler but there is about 0.25" difference in ID and the tail pipe could end up indexed incorrectly but thats easy to fix.

I'm planning/building an exhaust for an ABA jetta engine swap. I have a super low mileage 2.1 cat and muffler but the 1.9 muffler is shorter, lighter and has a shorter inlet stub. If I'm not mistaken, the Tiico uses a 1.9 muffler and this is what FAS had suggested or suggests for a muffler.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

I did my own muffler shoot out and ended up fitting this to the 1.9. Others on here have done the same with decent results. Flows well. Not loud. I used a CAT delete pipe to have the flanges with some pipe attached. Cut to fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17783
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'd searched for 5" round mufflers to no real avail but that length looks good (close to the 1.9 length?) and in my case, a 6" should fit albeit kind of low relative to the rear skirt.

Nice tip re: cat delete pipe. Thanks. I recall running into some difficulty last time I went to source WBX type flanges at my FLAPS. I know they exist though as I used some on one of my first exhaust builds.

I'd prefer to have a removable cat but if I have to, I'll weld in a universal type.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

Yeah. 5" round is limited. I did the Walker Exhaust chime-in and a 5" was for a LeBaron or something. It was poopoo. Chucked it into the recycle bin. You'd be pleasantly surprised with the 17783. The offset of the in n out allows for clocking it to taste. And I think its able to be flipped end for end.
Its a basic turbo muffler, in the round, that has small curved pieces inside that help direct the flow from front to back. better than a glass pack.
As for the CAT delete, yes again, Cut it in half and you have two flanged nipps to build onto.

As an answer to the first post, I was able to find, secure and install a 2.1 CAT to the 1.9 exhaust. Minor tweaking of the welded side flanges but easy peasy. As far as the ID between the two, I found it a moot point as long as it would work for Cali Smog checks.

So do what ya gotta do with whats at hand but put this on your christmas list.
No disappointments
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

you can also try a 1988 ford F150 muffler cheap and just needs flanges added to it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

Thanks Regis. And thanks for the added info. All good. And yes; being able to index the muffler is of great use here. As is, with my 2.1 muffler mock positioned close to the rear apron, it's about a hand width thickness away from the engine crank pulley. Since the engine sits at the WBX position, and has been lowered at the carrier mount brackets, the muffler will hang lower than OE, I'm wondering if that low hang creates more potential of igniting tall grass in hot dry climes. But then an oval muffler would sit even lower.

ajdenette: thanks. I'd considered the Ford muffler option but would assume it's longer and heavier than a 1.9 muffler. I'm taking weight, position, sound levels into consideration but overall, I think a lighter muffler would lessen the chance of cracks between muffler and cat. Then again, I may mount the cat inline with the body as it is on my 15º ABA swap so in that case, I could mount the muffler to both diesel Vanagon mounts off engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
... You'd be pleasantly surprised with the 17783. The offset of the in n out allows for clocking it to taste. And I think its able to be flipped end for end.
Its a basic turbo muffler, in the round, that has small curved pieces inside that help direct the flow from front to back.

so I did a little searching. It seems the 18" body length Walker 17783 is not reversible:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=130026&jsn=3

but a similar 14" body length Dynomax is reverse-able. (I'd get web results for 'Dynomax, Walker' so either may be made by the same company):

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers/super-turbo-offset-offset.html

Assuming it has 2 internal tubes, I wonder how much an 8" difference in tube length affects exhaust noise levels?

The Walker 2.1 WBX Quietflow I had on my 15º ABA had 3 tubes. I highly doubt this is the case but since the Walker 17783 is not reverse-able, I wonder if it has 3 tubes vs the Dynomax 17742 which most likely has 2?

My old 2.1 WBX Quietflow cut in half (it's possible I got the flow logic wrong but it gives the idea behind it)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt up 2.1 Catalytic converter (cat) to 1.9 Muffler? Reply with quote

Cool.. Good on ya for doing the research. Couldn't remember off hand.
Being that the 17783 has offsets on both sides, the inlet would be most likely be on the D side of Dynomax. It would clock just the same as if it were reversible. Sometimes an arrow is embossed onto the shell.. It is a direct fit for the Nissan pick up.

Good luck with your search.

http://www.dynomax.com/downloads/product-catalog/2015_dynomax_superturbo_secure.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: