Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Has anyone found a substitute for the NLA rubber boot that seals the opening between the syncro front shift fork and the plastic tube that surrounds the rear part of the shift fork? I guess it's not all that critical a part, but now that everything has been been removed and cleaned up I'd hate to allow dirt back in there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Is this it?
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...251711167F
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

I used a Selector shaft boot, not perfect but

kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Microbusdelixe, that part is different. It's the boot that goes around the rear bushing adjacent to the transmission.

mackaymanx, thanks, I can see how that part may work. I don't have access to a new one today and wonder if a tie rod boot may work. I may have time to go to a local store and look around.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

That shift shaft protector did not come with my either of my syncros. I wonder how common they are in USA. Was this an option here in USA? Was mine removed before I bought it? Driving in slushy snow I have had the universal joint freeze up making shifting very difficult, so I understand the advantage of this protector tube.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

My understanding is that the shaft protector came only on the later syncros. I'm not sure of the cutoff year.

See attached. I think the shaft protector includes parts 5 (251711184C), 6 (hose clamp), 37, 39, 40 (2 hose clamps), 38 and 36-32. It's a lot of bits and pieces, and while it definitely helps keep dirt and dust off the center bushing and u-joint, it also makes removal and reinstall more difficult.

On a side note, years ago the plastic tabs on the front shift fork (part 19) disintegrated, and at the time no repair was available, so I replaced it with an entire new shift rod from a 2WD (my only durable option, I was told). But now I've finally repaired the syncro tabs (using the T3 kit) and am swapping the original syncro shift fork back in. I compared the two side by side, and there are slight differences in the shape. I hope by re-installing the original syncro fork, plus cleaning everything up, that shifting will improve, as it's always been a little hesitant going into first.
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

So, just checking in on this - the internet deems this part non-existent.
Is that true?
The selector shaft boot seems like a good option
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Hi Nat!

Do you have the rest of the shifter protector tube?

If not use the rear shifter boots and bushing.

Otherwise that boots looks like the 091 rear shift rod boot on early Vanagons.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Hey!
Yes, I have the protection tubes.
Thanks for the tip- I'll poke around.
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

This one?

211711183B

looks interesting - wonder what the diameter of the pipe it goes over is?

The selector shaft boot fits quite well actually.
Here is the hardware store pipe it works on (40 mm)
And what appears to be the gas filler hose remnant that is on the other end.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

No I was thinking more 251711167A

The black plastic tube is 75mm and is basic drain pipe made by Geberit I recall Wink

I have never seen the portion before towards the front of the van, is it the grey pipe pictured ??
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more clear -
yes, the gray tube is the forward section of protection - 37 on the parts diagram above. The rubber coupling in my picture is #39

Oh, but 251711167A does not have the flat section that would sit over the plastic pipe and allow a clamp, like the original, and the 211711183B part I found.

Need to find out what diameter the pipe in the early bus that 211711183B fit over.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Bus depot can have it no?

https://www.busdepot.com/251711184c
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Does anyone have an update on a replacement for this boot?

I'm looking at using a universal steering rack boot.

The od of the outer pipe is 40mm. The od if the linkage rod is 20mm.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

What I have done for this kind of boot in the past is get some supple leather and a couple of band clamps. So long as you have a goodly overlap on the leather and the exposed edge is pointing downward it will do a pretty dang good job of keeping dirt out of the tube. If you want to you can use a sewing awl the stitch up the seam.

I have a leather shifter boot on my old Land Cruiser that must by 35 years old at this point in time, far out lasting the original factory boot.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Not the answer you are looking for but they could be available in the future. https://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171299
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Not the answer you are looking for but they could be available in the future. https://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171299

Sorry, I won't have anything to do with that group. It's their choice to be this way.

I'll keep looking and I'm sure that (as previously has happened) when I find a product that will fit, it'll suddenly appear in that group without my name being mentioned.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Bicycle tire tube and Zip-ty's for a short term solution.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Does anyone have an update on a replacement for this boot?

I'm looking at using a universal steering rack boot.

The od of the outer pipe is 40mm. The od if the linkage rod is 20mm.

MG

I found that the a shaft shifter bushing fits almost perfectly in the 20mm end of a steering shaft boot and the large end fits perfectly over the PVC tube

I used a slightly worn shifter shaft bushing (what I had) and opened up the grove to fit the larger male groove in the steering boot

I failed to get a picture of the bushing in place - boot was very tight and tricky to get on, but a band clamp held it on pretty securely. Would have been good to use a new bushing - used one was oily, could have sealed the grooves with silicone better as it does not need to slide in the shaft.

Whole thing is a bit tight in that space - but works great (sorry, pics uploaded upside down for some reason)

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Availabilty of syncro shifter boot 251711184C or a substitute Reply with quote

Just FYI, part #251-711-184C seems to be available in Europe.
I've been looking for this boot for a while, wish one of our North American venders would bring it in.

https://www.bus-ok.de/T25-Rubber-boot-gear-rod-front-Syncro-884-792-OEM-partnr-251711184-C
https://www.justkampers.com/251711184c-front-shiftrod-boot-vw-t25-syncro-1984-1992.html
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/rubber-boot-t3-syncro-gear-rod-to-plastic-tube.html

I've been using a cobbled together seal made from foam rubber and zip ties, works but not stock and adds a bit of friction.
My original one had fallen apart like the OP's.

This boot is only for later model Syncros with the plastic pipe to protect the shift rod from ice and mud, #5 in the diagram above.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: