Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual-post antenna?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Juan's, Amos or Andy's ride with that curb feeler antenna on it.

It's not that I don't like it.
It just looks like a cheesy afterthought.
Cheap.

The stock telescoping antenna works well for me, and it for sure hasn't ever caught me taking a nap while running through a car wash or tossing a Covercraft winter cover on it.
It's right there on the cowl in front of me.

A guy would have to be led by a seeing eye dog to miss it, or just plainly have DMP issues.

The mast supported antenna is not a dual post antenna BTW.
It's correct nomenclature is a Cowl Mount Antenna with the upper support appendage holding the top portion of the mast to the body of the vehicle--wherever might you have in affixed.

These were primarily used by aftermarket jobber's after they installed a radio to Van at the dealership that were radio delete from the factory--most were earlier Vanagons.
Most all of the later Vans came with the telescoping antennas mounted--no springs, no upper mast supports.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - Jed likes it! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25t3vanagon-pillar-mounted-arial/

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After chronic breakage from driving through branches, I finally installed the spring-loaded antenna. Several years later it is still permanantly affixed. Only minor complaint is that the spring gets some light rust on it:

narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
That ^^^ looks sweet! Nice, easy install - I can see this happening sometime soon! Short of a
"shark-fin" on the brow of the luggage rack, that's about as far out of the way as you can get...

Thanks! Cool

- Dave

PS: The Amazon link doesn't show the top mount - is it included in the package?

Mine has one. I'm adding additional booster for long distance clarity.

Booster
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I don't like it.
It limits what you can do & can't do.

I like the option of being able to telescope the antenna down into the front cowl.
Now if I feel like it I can run the Van through a car wash without snapping it off, or I can park the van just about anywhere without thinking some goofy kid will snap it off, or bend it into a Z for me.
If they can see that antenna, they can bend it for you.

I'll stick with the stock telescoping into the front cowl & hidden antenna.

Works for me.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

My replacement Hirschmann became the victim of a low bundle of branches on my cherry tree a while back, so I bought a dual-post antenna on Ebay for $10. Oddly enough, it was listed as a replacement for a '74-'84 Nissan 310 and 710.

I thought about it, but couldn't see drilling another hole in the nose to side-mount it. So, I went ahead and ordered another Hirschmann.

This one is from Van Cafe, and is much more stout than the last Hirschmann I had. It's slightly darker metal as opposed to the bright chrome of the last one too.

I got the original from OEM VW in Co. Springs way back when, and have no reason to believe that it wasn't the real deal. This new one is heavier, though.

I don't like the chrome base, but it's a slightly different shape than the black one I had before so I couldn't reuse that one. I also miss the "VW" imprint.

We'll see how long this one lasts.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narendra.vw wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
That ^^^ looks sweet! Nice, easy install - I can see this happening sometime soon! Short of a
"shark-fin" on the brow of the luggage rack, that's about as far out of the way as you can get...

Thanks! Cool

- Dave

PS: The Amazon link doesn't show the top mount - is it included in the package?

Mine has one. I'm adding additional booster for long distance clarity.

Booster

That booster isnt going to work for long ranve coverage. The problem is related to the wave length of the signal and that stubby little coil anfenna hidden in the sharkfin being a poor substitute.

Youd be way better off with a Euro style antenna with a longer anfenna like pictured above. You could probably get one from almost any junkyard. The are easy to remove generally. A nice point is also that fhe factory ones often have built in satellite or gps receivers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

We'll see how long this one lasts.

126 days, to be exact. Bent it beyond repair when I caught a branch while reversing out of the driveway this morning. Mad

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Not remembering to shove the antenna down when moving about & under trees, is almost as crazy as forgetting to use the TP after you have a healthy BM.

It's a good, healthy habit to get into.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Not remembering to shove the antenna down when moving about & under trees, is almost as crazy as forgetting to use the TP after you have a healthy BM.

It's a good, healthy habit to get into.

Duly noted on both accounts!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

10-4 !
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Pretty basic math TK...10-4=6.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Two and two is Twenty two Bobby.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Two and two is Twenty two Bobby.

No wonder the Chicago school system is a failure. Leave the " and " out and it might be. Anyway that Hershman aunt-enna I got from you years ago has served me well. Its advisable to push it down whilst going through a car wash least it exists the wash broken if you don't. Installing them can be a pain but they pull in some far far away stations that a coat hanger wouldn't. Stay safe in the Windy City, Chicago aint Sinatras kind of Town anymore. Crying or Very sad
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

The Hirschmanm has worked out real good for me also Bobby, pretty good product.

Whats another And between friend's?
Just screwing around anyway.

The Windy is holding all kinds of records nowadays.

Unsavory, but notable records.

Nuts & way outa control.
I don't frequent the city, hardly ever.
The payoffs are pretty dismal & bleak.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

I shy away from those spring mounted antennae's due to an experience of one breaking a windshield years ago.

I forget the exact circumstances but it was slapped down hard onto the glass.

My Van came with one mounted on the RF 1/4 panel, I cut it off, I hate them that much!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

What did you do with the hole on the cowel Dave?
Surely you plugged it with something---right?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Another vote for the good old fashioned retracting steel Hirschmann. I keep the little key thing in the glovebox to pull it up with in case I don't have anything with me. It pulls in nice station distance out west here.

On Chicago, I drove through there on the tollway twice a couple weeks ago late at night and noticed a complete lack of patrol vehicles. I grew up in the area and it was always reassuring to see one in freeway traffic every little bit or so just cruising in traffic. Made a family guy like me happy that if I had to change a flat on the side of the road, a patrol car would likely go by every few minutes, or perhaps stop to be sure we were OK, etc. Kind of eerie to see zero police presence. Gave it a "no man's land" kind of feel and prompted me to ask one of the kids in back to pass up a certain box with a lock on it where it was conforming to transport rules. I chose to violate those rules the rest of the way past a formerly friendly city......
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
VanDwellerFeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Here is a different type for you to check out. As near as I can determine this was a dealer add-on to a base level Westy that didn't have the factory antenna on the driver's side. This has been great ~ never snags, tough spring, good reception. Not sure where you'd pick one up but I'm sure not too hard to find.

I used to have that one on the drivers side but it would flop all over in high winds. Wish I tried to fix it instead of installing the one from gowesty. It doesn't quite cover the hole as well and I think I get a little leak from it. Sorry to resurrect this old post but curious if you've found any more info on these.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dual-post antenna? Reply with quote

Exhuming this thread for updates, and for some vintage bad TK...

I broke yet another Hirschmann antenna over the weekend. By my count, this is my sixth on five Vanagons. Some might say I'm the problem. And they could be right.

I'm not installing another Hirschmann. I ordered this block off plate from Uniwerks instead:

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/vanagon-antenna-blank-plate/

Question, does anybody have a recommendation for a good hidden antenna? What to buy, where to mount? There are a bunch available but figured I'd check here first.

Thanks

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: