Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop or Sunroof for Karmann Ghia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fresno james
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen Smile Cool

I am itching to jump on this project myself at the moment !!!! Wink

Trevor ,
The og color appears to be lizard green with a dark green roof ...

Although it was sprayed a VERY generous coat of seagull grey type of color when we first found the car ....

Was hell to strip that stuff off .... Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Will Lennan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Rag top in ghia Reply with quote

ALL aftermarket rag top look bad in VWs.
If you are going to put one in put in a ORIGINAL GOLDIE sun roof. They look factory and dont leak.
Thats correct, if you put the cushion under the front lip ,when sealed it will not allow water to leak in the car.
I put a factory goldie in a ghia 20 years ago. The car is now my sons car and he shows it often.
Look under my name and search pics. You will see the car.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I put a factory goldie in a ghia 20 years ago. The car is now my sons car and he shows it often.
Look under my name and search pics. You will see the car.

I saw the old photo of your Ghia when it was still gold- I remember this car! I saw it in person at my first Kelley Park meet 20 years ago. Was parked at the curb by the swapmeet side entrance at that time. I even spoke to you about it, and you explained it was straight-forward to implant the Beetle sunroof because it had the same contour side-to-side as in the Beetle. You just needed to shorten the side rails and the sunroof itself about what- 11"? It was for sale at the time ($1400?)- I have a few photos of it too.

I always remember your Ghia when somebody posts a sunroof question, because it really did look like it was done well and was a proper fit. I'm also really glad that you kept it, finished it, and that your son is now enjoying it.

I bought a '64 Ghia coupe right around that time and still have it, though it does not run at moment. And there is no sunroof in it!
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop or Sunroof for Karmann Ghia? Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic but...
I was looking for a karmann ghia 2 years ago but due to some personal reasons didn't proceed with a purchase.
Unfortunately I had found here in Greece a 72 model with golde sunroof.... which is not available anymore.
Did anyone ever fit a beetle golde sunroof to a Karmann ghia?
Anyone knows if this is possible and if those sunroofs are the same?
Regards
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop or Sunroof for Karmann Ghia? Reply with quote

Nikos, I don't think a Beetle metal sunroof will work on a Ghia roof. This is probably not because of the width and contour of the Beetle panel, but the length (front to rear). I have a '77 Standard Beetle sunroof project car in my garage. I could not measure the outer metal panel because I have lots of things piled on top of the roof, and because the gap is taped up all around Rolling Eyes . However, inside the car, the dimensions of the headliner opening in the roof (not the headliner panel on the sunroof itself) is 39 Cm front to rear and ~66 Cm side-to-side. Now remember that the entire metal panel retracts rearward into the roof. I don't think there is nearly enough length of Ghia roof to contain this length (39 Cm x 2 = 78 Cm).

Here's a shot from the Gallery of an early Ghia with a Golde conversion. Look how the support rails on the underside of the roof extend all the way back to the front of the rear window inner frame. This particular Ghia appears to have a simple sliding sunroof which you pull back after unlocking it. There is no rotating crank such as found on Beetles as of the '64 model year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A Beetle metal roof would only open about half way before the rear edge of the sunroof panel would hit against the rear window frame.

You can get a good estimate of the Golde roof panel relative length in this overhead shot. The length of the panel is less than half of the roof length.

Here are a few shots I took of a '68 Ghia with a Golde crank metal sunroof in Germany. You can see that the general crank mechanism is very similar to that of a Beetle.

Search in the gallery under https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop or Sunroof for Karmann Ghia? Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info.
I am wondering if it's worth to copy that sunroof
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Kicks ass

Looks like ass

I know this old topic,,can you give me the measurement of the ragtop fabric I have one with 84cm x90cm can you confirm this the same measurement with the golde rag in your pic?
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: