Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

OK, Jim has stepped up and offered me a solution. I'm not really at liberty to disclose what it is (he can if he wants), it's not perfect but helps for now.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are my pics of the new exhaust clearance and the block from summit that fits with the 90 degree hoses.

I don't see why this is such a big issue on this thread. The new design is clearly an improvement. Everybody just calm down. figuring sh*t out is half the fun of doing something like this.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

jfu507,
4stars, nice post.

Are the aircraft clamps tight enough for fittings? Will the plastic handles melt?
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Excellent jfu057.
Looks like the EZ-Clip fittings?
Have you run the system yet?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:

Are the aircraft clamps tight enough for fittings? Will the plastic handles melt?

the home brew clamps are there because I was too cheap to buy the ez clip pliers for the rings and regular pig nose pliers don't work for them. They have been holding for almost a month without any issue or drop in pressures. So, I think they are working but I'll wait and see what it has in it after winter Smile

The plastic doesn't seem to get all that hot there. I did change to the offset muffler at the same time though, so that might not be the case if you have the larger one. It sits much closer to where the hoses are.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Excellent jfu057.
Looks like the EZ-Clip fittings?
Have you run the system yet?

Yes, it's up and running and working in the heatwave Smile
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Thanks for working through this, folks.

It looks like the elegant solution will be a similar block with fittings straight up(?). It’s a shame that Jim didn’t call out the easily anticipated fit issues with some/many/most of the existing custom a/c configurations (it seems that any engine conversion is a custom configuration) but I appreciate his follow-up.

I also appreciate all of the early-adopters who explore and share and make implementation much easier for those of us who follow. Having just completed another trouble-free multi-day trip in triple-digit temps I have to say I love my Bostig and functioning a/c. The Vanagon is so much better with both. Thanks, y’all!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the solution. I wonder if the hoses with a current EZ-clip installation would just turn and connect properly without redoing the clips, but buying a few more in advance might be best. Looks like straight up connectors would work even better but I guess it's about how you attach the hoses to clear the serpentine belt anyway.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Jim, telling your customers that their existing a/c systems are all wrong and your product is right is not helping. It's quite clear you didn't prototype the adapter with a functioning a/c system.
I'm basing this statement on your own photos of using the cool new mapping laser and software.

1) I didn't say that. I said that I didn't design for everyone that has existing AC

2) "It's quite clear you didn't prototype the adapter with a functioning a/c system." true, no need. I did 90 degree blocks 13 years ago in 2005 with the v1.0. And I know they work and I know how big they are. You don't have my CAD assemblies. You don't know what I'm thinking. You should also be able to see in the photos that thing that looks like an AC compressor, because it is, with plenty of clearance for those 90 degree blocks. Yeah discon/recon sucks, but it isn't a big deal at the end of the day.

It certainly is a big deal if you're in the middle of the job and not expecting it... and can't do anything about it then that sucks! And for that I'm really sorry MsTaboo, not my intention.

Was anyone else affected by this at this point? I think it's only MsTaboo right now? There are 3 more possibles that might be affected that I haven't heard from, the rest are unaffected.

Cheers,

Jim Akiba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Just a quick follow up on this. We're facing a evacuation order because of a bad fire just up the valley from us (families a little ways further up the valley have already been ordered out), so I'm rushing to get ready to scram.

Instead of waiting for the different a/c block Jim is sending me, I just capped off the a/c compressor and lines so I could finish installing the new catifold.
I did receive the alternate block from Summit, but I'm gonna be a test for Jim's block so waiting to refill the a/c.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vta-045018/overview/
These are the three available blocks for the FS10 compressor.

The install went fairly easy except I did elongate some holes in the inner shield so I could get all the fasteners through the Walker cat and into the outer shield.
One other thing to mention for people doing a replacement install, make sure you take the time to check the oil dip stick holder against the heat shields and make needed adjustments.
I forgot about it until the very end and had a bit of fussing to get the new bends with everything in place.
Here are a some extra photos.

(make any changes at your own discretion, this worked for me, YMMV)

I was able to get all the fasteners into the heat shields with a bit of fussing.
A little bit concerned that the lower brace that supports the cat will transfer heat to the block (maybe a standoff made of something heat resistant?)

You can see how much extra room the new system creates.

Took the van for a quick warmup run last night, did not notice any difference in driving but the rear compartment over the engine lid was definitely cooler.
So, once again I have to say I really like the idea that Jim went with despite the problems with a/c clearance.
I still say it would have helped to tilt the catifold upward away from the engine block, increasing clearance and airflow between the catifold and the block. IMHO
Kudos to Bostig/Jim for working to make his conversion kit better and better.

Now back to packing up the trailer and the van with our valuables. Hope we get some rain soon. Neutral

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

It's good to see this shaping up well after a rough start.

Here's hoping the fires slow down soon.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

OK, I got the steel compressor block from Bostig and after some delays got out and did some test fitting.

Here's the block compared to the 45* aluminum block. Main benefit of this block is it's made of steel, so pretty much bulletproof.

And installed on the compressor. Bit of a tight fit on the suction side for the nut on the fittings.

Unfortunately the 90* fittings I have hit the main coolant hose when doing a rear hose route. It may be that 45* fittings will arch over the hose.

Ended up using the aluminum 45* compressor block.

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of 45* EZ-Clip fittings so I can use the steel block. I have doubts about the strength of the aluminum tubes on the 45* compressor block.
If you use the 45* block be very careful when tightening the fitting nuts to keep a wrench on the block side. Tube will twist very easily. Space is tight and I ended up tightening the fittings to the block first and then installing the block to the compressor.

We're still under forest fire evacuation alert here, but got a little rain last night so hopefully the worst is over and we won't have to scram.

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Where did you get the metal valve cover thingys in this picture?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:
Where did you get the metal valve cover thingys...
The bright silver one is stock, the other I made to help block heat from the old exhaust header. With the new catifold setup I've been thinking about removing both.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
shizzon wrote:
The bright silver one is stock, the other I made to help block heat from the old exhaust header. With the new catifold setup I've been thinking about removing both.

Sorry to head off-topic, but did those valve/cam cover heat shields help reduce warpage and leaking? My valve cover leaks at the corners every 4,000 - 10,000 miles whether it needs to or not. Very Happy My next step is the cast valve cover but your heat shields are interesting if they help.

Abscate wrote:

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
shizzon wrote:

Sorry to head off-topic, but did those valve/cam cover heat shields help reduce warpage and leaking? My valve cover leaks at the corners every 4,000 - 10,000 miles whether it needs to or not. Very Happy My next step is the cast valve cover but your heat shields are interesting if they help.
Is your engine missing the stock heat shield (the silver one)?
I added the extra one to this zero mile engine when I noticed some melting of the cover near the header on my older engine. Although I have never had any problems with leaks from the cover.
Do you know the part number of the cast cover (seen pictures of it), but not sure what the part number is, or if available here in N.A?
That would be some cool bling, but I wonder if it would transfer extra heat to the engine lid? (as you can tell, I'm all about trying to keep it cool in the engine bay Wink )

Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Ms Taboo,

Could you show a pic of how you have the ac hoses routed through the rear of your engine bay?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Bcassin wrote:
MsTaboo,
Could you show a pic of how you have the ac hoses routed through the rear of your engine bay?
Sure. I'll post a better picture later today, but it's fairly straightforward, they loop back and up over the license plate door into the space between the body and the cam cover. From there they pass towards the air box and then into the driver's side D pillar.
I mounted the coolant overflow bottle on the forward bulkhead for more room. I also used the new smaller diameter barrier hose which allows easier bends and takes up less space than the older stuff.
(note; my setup is a bit different than the current kits as it's a collection of old/new and my own mods)
Edit: new picture.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

I'm starting my RG9 exhaust upgrade this weekend.

The old RG1 cat finally popped its oxygen sensor port, so it was time to make the change.

I also needed to rebuild the hoses for the AC system near the engine, so I get a 2-for-1 on this job.

Here's some photos of the existing RG1 system, and some rehabilitation of the AC lines. I am using the 45 degree FS10 block and new 90 degree hose ends. I'll update this thread later when I've got the rest put together.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Do you know the part number of the cast cover (seen pictures of it), but not sure what the part number is, or if available here in N.A?
That would be some cool bling, but I wonder if it would transfer extra heat to the engine lid? (as you can tell, I'm all about trying to keep it cool in the engine bay Wink )

Here's the Ford Contour aluminum valve cover I bought. I'll post pics when it's installed in a week or do.

Ford Engine Valve Cover F6RZ-6582-BA 16V ZETEC Contour Mystique 2.0L

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Engine-Valve-Cover-F...SwaPNb7HjM

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: