Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Great to clarify for the OP. Thanks! Snapping a CV bolt in the midst of a trip would suck. Though Michigan in the summer is a great place to be stranded!! (Grew up in Holland, MI)...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

rpureber wrote:
Is there any reason I can't/shouldn't pull the entire assembly or at least the "trouble" side and pack from there? I am at my brother-in-law's house right now so I am lucky enough that he has a flat driveway, a bunch of tools, workspace and another car to run to the store.

It looks like shoving some grease in there or even disassembling it, cleaning, reassemble, grease pack and re-install would be the way to go. I'm guessing the only easier way would be an entire axle/CVs assembly to swap out... and that sounds like overkill as well as not likely to be able to source the part(s) locally at the last minute.

I'm still doing some research so I apologize if I just said something obviously stupid. I'm going to look testing that radiator ran relay and possible replacement if it's not working correctly. The previous owner just replaced the fan since it was making noise in certain conditions (what a nice guy!) so I'm guessing the relay is separate from the fan assembly and it was not replaced. I'd rather not burn out a fresh fan (or kill the brand new battery the P.O. also installed for me!... again, super nice guy).

Thanks SOOOO much for the help and avoiding any ribbing for lack of knowledge. I'm not new to on-the-road breakdowns, however, they've been with my aircooleds and the Vanagon is going to be a learning process for me.

I agree with Doug and Mark. You don't want to take it apart unless you have new parts in hand (+ time & money). It's easy to open a can of worms on these vehicles, and you are still in the troubleshoot phase as you've yet to confirm the root cause of the noise - so don't buy anything yet.. Squirting grease in there is safe and will confirm thats your problem. It will also keep it going until you are ready to rebuild your axles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

UPDATE: So... I investigated the fan and decided it can wait. Pulling the neg. battery cable resets it.

I did a test drive and The Wife concurred... the rear driver's outer CV had a case of the clicky-clickies. Full well knowing it might be overkill... since I have the driveway, tools, auto parts runner car and a brother-in-law/shop hand I decided to just pull the axle. No time like the present to learn me something. The outer CV was dry/gummie and after cleaning you could see some groves/marring. I disassembled both CVs on that side, cleaned them up what I'd call 85% sufficient... reassembled, regreased and reinstalled. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but I took it out for a few... up to 50mph for a short bit and did some of the driving activities that made it talk before... all seems quiet for now.

We're skipping Chicago (it was just an overnight anyway) and re-routing to the next destination. Luckily we're with family so they'll tolerate us for another 12 hours or so.

Thank you VERY much for all of the help. I realize I probably could have just crammed some grease in there and hoped for the best... but since this was the best possible situation to do the work... why not (hopefully I don't eat those words).

Yoinked apart:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Groovy (yea... I might have some new parts in my future):

Cleaned (`ish) and ready to assemble and grease up:

Bro, check out how much I can curl:

Sore neck syndrome from the neck crane:

Post test-drive, saddened to miss the Chicago deep dish... happy to drive another day:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Good work!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Pplease don’t ever work under a car on a jack again

Promise me , please.

Please.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

x2...SERIOUSLY.

...and borrow a pair of closed toe shoes... Evil or Very Mad

Still, good work to have done...& best wishes for a good trip! Cool

- Dabe

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Nice job. That's got to feel good to have gotten a little grease under your nails and squared away the CV lube. Yeah, the one's got a pretty funky wear issue and I'm surprised it quieted down for you. Seems like that big divot would make a click each revolution.

So where's your next destination if Chicago's out? I personally crave the Giordano's, or Gino's East but would also pass that up to spend some time with my bro in law - especially wrenching with him.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

I'll X's 300 that no good working under just the support of a jack, trusting an O-ring to keep you alive..
at the least slide the tire back under the van to give your XYV body part 8inches less crushed.

now onto the CV joints..

YOU MUST RE-TORQUE ALL THE BOLTS WITHIN 50-100 MILES.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

YOU MUST RE-TORQUE ALL THE BOLTS WITHIN 50-100 MILES.

It is a good idea to check that none have loosened but it is not an absolute that quickly. I will put my flame suit on and say that I have never in my almost 1,000,000 miles and 40 years and likely 50+ axle removals on all my vehicles (VW and Porsche) checked the torque on CV joints at that interval. I will check it next time I have it on a lift, but that is usually 1000's of miles later. I have never had one loosen in that interval. But this is only my personal data point and there are plenty of others who have had cv bolts loosen.

BTW, I think that my technique of snugging them all with a ratchet, then torque all to 24 ftlbs then all to 36 ft lbs keeps the parts aligned and tensioned very well during installation.

The Western Syncro build
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

I realize working under the jack is not ideal... but that's how it worked out. I appreciate the concern. I do most of my light-duty car work in flip flops, I wasn't too worried with dropping the axle on my foot.

I was a little surprised with the wear on the outside. I figure I'll probably get some new parts and replace when they get talky again. I spent the evening with family so I haven't driven it since the test drive... I have a little dread in hearing it click again, but it is what it is and hopefully it's enough to get us home.

Skipping the true Chicago deep dish is a little bit of a let down... but rushing to leave only to roll in at 10pm after the day's work wasn't too appealing either. We're driving to Bloomington today... basically dinner and a concert, then on to Omaha tomorrow before getting back to Denver Sunday.

...to answer the earlier question, it has the 2'' GoWesty lift springs and Old Man Emu shocks. I put the grooved CV on the inner (transmission) side since as I understand it that's the less "stressful" side. Though I could be wrong.

Last edited by rpureber on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

I checked my CV's after ~200 miles and found they loosened a quarter of a turn.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

OP, good idea to buy a couple lobro CV's with grease and boots and keep them in the bus until you get around to replacing them. This way if you are on the road when they go bad you'll have the parts you need. BTDT.

The Western Syncro build
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Put the wheel you took off under the tranny or a frame member or something with some wood or whatever on top of it so it's really close to the vehicle if you have to work under it with just a jack, which I understand can happen roadside. Hopefully, it would catch the vehicle if it slipped rather than your body doing so.

I do this even when using jackstands as extra extra back up. The person - friend of his, really- my brother-in-law sold his house to was killed when his vehicle fell on him. Has made me really hypervigilant on this issue.
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Put the wheel you took off under the tranny or a frame member or something with some wood or whatever on top of it so it's really close to the vehicle if you have to work under it with just a jack, which I understand can happen roadside. Hopefully, it would catch the vehicle if it slipped rather than your body doing so.

I like that solution and wish I would have thought about it yesterday. Thanks for the advice.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

As dobryan said, Lobro.
You'll be sorry if you fall to the temptation of going with other than that.

I bought 3 sets of "other".
None of them lasted longer than about 1,000 miles.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

X2 or x3 on the Lobros.
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

We just rolled into Bloomington, IL and everything seems fine. I have to pull the negative battery cable if it got hot enough to kick on the rad. fan but no noise from the CV yet. I chetcked the bolts in Ann Arbor, MI and they were good but that was only 65 miles. I plan to check them again in the AM before we leave for Omaha.
Alluvial Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Definitely go with Lobro CVs. I just bought a set from Van Cafe with new Lobro boots too. There is a bunch of info on this site about polishing the inner and outer race of the CVs to make them smoother and supposedly maybe last longer but I'm not sure that is worth the effort, maybe, maybe not. I did my CVs in sandals too, so you're in good company there. Hey, I live in San Diego, it's how we work. Nice can of IPA on the ground too. It's always a well deserved treat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

Nice - bet you're glad to be clear of the Chicago area and outbound for tomorrow's Labor Day melee, vs trying to pass through it. Our college age daughter is going to be right in the melee from O'Hare to Michigan so I'm a fretting Dad at the moment.

Doug
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible CV going out on the road between Detroit and Chicago Reply with quote

rpureber wrote:
I realize working under the jack is not ideal... but that's how it worked out.

You're understating it. It's not just 'not ideal'. Saying that's just 'how it worked out' is a total cop out. Next time go the FLAPS and plunk down $30 on a set of 2 ton jack stands. Drop them off at Goodwill if you don't want to keep them for next time. I've actually been witness to a jack failing on someone else working on a car and they were seriously injured. It was really stressful rescuing them from their stupidity. No fun and completely avoidable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: