Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

point gap/dwell
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:
If the points look ugly, sometimes you can get away with cleaning them up with a "point file" or "ignition file".

I own several point files. I find that "sometimes" is more like "seldom"... and none of them are worth using. Not on the hardened steel points that have been sold the last several decades.

Aren't the ignition points usually made from / tipped with tungsten, or something like that? In any case, I agree that they seem to be super-hard stuff, and those files will usually barely touch them, unless the pitting / deposits are pretty small.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:
If the points look ugly, sometimes you can get away with cleaning them up with a "point file" or "ignition file".

I own several point files. I find that "sometimes" is more like "seldom"... and none of them are worth using. Not on the hardened steel points that have been sold the last several decades.

Aren't the ignition points usually made from / tipped with tungsten, or something like that? In any case, I agree that they seem to be super-hard stuff, and those files will usually barely touch them, unless the pitting / deposits are pretty small.

That plus the questionable quality/hardness of the files available today to purchase makes it much less likely to have any success in 'filing' the points.

I have a file, but it's for the off chance that I have mis-placed my spare points set. Emergency "get it home because I have no service to call AAA" kind of thing.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

So they don’t make files hard enough to file points any longer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

"Filing" "sanding" or "scratching" anything requires you to use a tool which is has a higher hardness than the item you are attempting to file.

If your points' material is softer than your file, the points are filed by the file.

If your file's material is softer than the points, the file is 'filed' by the points.

It's an interesting topic, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Frodge wrote:

"Filing" "sanding" or "scratching" anything requires you to use a tool which is has a higher hardness than the item you are attempting to file.

If your points' material is softer than your file, the points are filed by the file.

If your file's material is softer than the points, the file is 'filed' by the points.

It's an interesting topic, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale

I understand that. I have files that will file points down. I’ve done it before.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

I understand that. I have files that will file points down. I’ve done it before.

Okay, hang on to it. It's just the new 'normal' with tools and parts- poor quality and poor materials.

China made stuff just isn't always up to spec, ya know? We've all experienced the poor quality control of some manufacturers.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Maybe eBay you can get some old files that will work. I personally stay away from chinesium.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

I also buy nos points. I try to get all the oem stuff when i can. It’s around.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Yesterday I discovered that these points can be split into 2 by compressing the spring and pulling it off. It made filing the points much easier working on 2 separate pieces.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Maybe eBay you can get some old files that will work. I personally stay away from chinesium.

Boy not me, I have a cot in back room of harbor freight. Oh I love it so. Very Happy
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Frodge wrote:

Boy not me, I have a cot in back room of harbor freight. Oh I love it so. Very Happy

I learned that lesson a long time ago.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: point gap/dwell Reply with quote

Quote:
filing the points much easier working on 2 separate pieces.

Are the points still parallel after that?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: