Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit sunroof
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

I have a ’79 parts car I’m stripping that has a factory sunroof. Is it worth it to cut out the sunroof to put in my restoration car? Are they chronically trouble or pretty reliable?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

You won't be "cutting out the sunroof", you'll need to do a roof graft. There is a second inner structure that the sunroof slides back into with drains at all four corners. My suggestion, if you want a sunroof, buy a complete car with one in it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

I personally do not like sunroofs and would pay extra not to have one. There is just too much troubles with them.

Invest your money/time on a good A/C system.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

X2 -sunroofs destroy cars,
probably the main reason it's a parts car now

Unless you have covered parking and some serious skills; the only reason to cut it out would be to sell parts on ebay for someone else to chase the nightmare- I mean dream.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

Definition of sunroof.... calibrated water leak

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

I have had 4 VWs now with the sun roof option, zero issues with any of them and I like them. That said will not be a simple job the change over onto a non sun roof car. That will involve major body work to do it right.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice but I took a closer look at the sunroof and its not a slider. It may not even be factory, it has a pop-open handle in the back and hinges up several inches. The glass has has a baked-on spotted net or some such screenlike thing. Does that sound like a VW option for the ‘79?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

What you described sounds like a typical aftermarket sunroof from the 1980s/90s to me.

Not original VW, could be used on any car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit sunroof Reply with quote

VW actually made a dealer installed glass sunroof that was very well designed that had drains at all four corners. Those were great. I removed a few of those out of some VW fox cars. Look for the VW logo near the handle. These were also designed so that the glass could easily be removed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: