Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What color green is this
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

wow!.that came out nice.did u make a home made enclosed tent?,or right out in the open??!!...awesome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

out in the open. I do have a few bugs that I hope buff out but i think that is fitting
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

That turned out very nice Tony!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

It looks killer......backyard paint job, I love it. Several years back I was painting the hood of a 500 SEL Mercedes we had, the clear coat had gone south and the body shops around here wanted more than the car was worth to repair it.

I befriended a local auto paint shop manager and used his knowledge to help me refinish the hood and blend it to the fenders. He explained the concept of color sanding and buffing and told me half the "professional" body shops had makeshift paint booths and nearly all of them sanded and buffed clear coat. The color goes on like primer and just put enough clear on to make color sanding viable......great job!

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

Every time I try to paint outdoors there is an insect hatch of some sort timed perfectly to the same hour! Rolling Eyes
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:
I forgot to put the pics in. Here they are

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I LOVE GREEN! Dancing THAT LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT! Drool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

Thanks every one. I took it to a couple local body men to see if they would paint it first. They seemed not to be interested because it was fiber glass. So I just did it myself. I have painted a few other VW's that I had restored and I think this one has came out the best.
Now what about that Flat black stripe. Should I or Should i not
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

do the stripe in vinyl, so that if you change your mind it will just peel off
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

^ Yep. Wait for the paint to cure out a couple more weeks, then stripe in vinyl. Any local sign shop can help you with that. Depending on your interior color choice, you might want to put a secondary pinstripe on either side of the main stripe in a matching color.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

As an 'outdoorsman' myself; 'Nice job', Bugs. Well done.

I also agree with the stripe ...and the use of vinyl. You might want to change the stripe color once a month - it's easier than paint.

Jim
Manx #2614
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

I never thought of vinyl. Good idea. I'm not sure where to look for that. Letterman7 you said a sign shop. I will have to find one
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

I might have laid out the stripe in paint and cleared over all of it. Not a huge fan of vinyl. I know there are different qualities for vinyl film, so get good stuff if you do it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

hard to say what it would look like.whether u would like it or not.maybe u can photo shop a stripe in your pic with your computer.then u may have a better idea whether U would like it or not.most computers have a built in app to do that.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:
I never thought of vinyl. Good idea. I'm not sure where to look for that. Letterman7 you said a sign shop. I will have to find one

I am a sign shop if you can't find one locally. Can do color comps (within reason) and cut the stripes for you. Easy enough to lay down with instructions.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

Tony, I had Fast Signs at the US RT 60 / Dunbar Bridge make some last minute Sponsor decals for my buggy when we ran the NORRA 1000 in April. They are vinyl and high quality.

They may be able to make the stripes you want off of a pattern. May suggest a line fade on the sides of the main stripe.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. I will give them a call. Im not sure what a line fade is. What is that
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

A fade is coming off of the edge 1/16 inch with open to green, then 3/4 inch black stripe. Then 1/4 inch green, followed by 1/2 inch black stripe. Then 1/2 inch green followed by 1/8 black stripe.

Makes it look like the main stripe fades into the base color.

2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

I forgot I used a 15 dollar spray gun to shoot that paint. Not to bad. I use them once throw them away and get another
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:

Vinyl Stripes are available on that large Internet auction site...

I have a 3M brand Matte Black vinyl stripe on my Honda Beat -

Thanks to TDCTDI for catching my car in his Ghia photo at recent Cars & Coffee...

Bryan
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What color green is this Reply with quote

Great color choice and love the body lines of your buggy. ..I don't think I have ever seen that style before...great looking paint job too!...I also agree on the vinyl stripes. ..way easier to just rip them off if you're not happy. ..FYI...make sure to tell the vinyl guy not to dig his exacto knife into your paint job...I originally trusted the Ford dealership as they bragged about how good their guy was...I came out looking like shit, so when we drove 5 hours to a quality vinyl guy and he informed me that the dealership guy dug his exacto knife clean down into the metal hood on our brand new 2005 Mustang GT...luckily the second guy was able to cover it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: