Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Convertible Top Replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince, Very nice job.
I just have a few suggestions that will make your life a bit easier. Number one, Pick up some #20 Wiss shears in stead of those medical scissors. Number two, Never use aerosol glue for a top as there is not enough solids in them to hold long term. Use contact cement. Automotive grade would be best but you can use the standard stuff from your local hardware store. You will be able to brush it or spray it. You will not need to use screws to hold things in place. The glue will do the work. Number three, Based on the staple size, it looks like you are using a hand gun. If so pick up a cheap air gun. This will save your hand. Number four, Use #9 blades instead of Exacto knives. Cheaper and better control.
Did you put in the window cable? (Cable that runs from the body up and around the window then down to the other side of the body.) This is a must. It draws the top down and provides pressure for the window seal.

BTW, Very impressed with the fit of the header! Most people screw this up.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustoms wrote:

Did you put in the window cable? (Cable that runs from the body up and around the window then down to the other side of the body.) This is a must. It draws the top down and provides pressure for the window seal.

I must have read this thread 300 times in the last year, prepping myself for the top install that's I'm finally starting.

My car is a 62 - so I don't have the cable that vince put around the back, and instead uses staples. I have the cables for the door frames and the springs - but I have not seen this one you're mentioning. Can you help me with a reference to it?

Thanks!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
kustoms wrote:

I must have read this thread 300 times in the last year, prepping myself for the top install that's I'm finally starting.

My car is a 62 - so I don't have the cable that vince put around the back, and instead uses staples. I have the cables for the door frames and the springs - but I have not seen this one you're mentioning. Can you help me with a reference to it?

Thanks!

That cable is for later verts with the glass rear window /69.5 and newer.
It helps keep the seal tight against the glass.not something your going to need.
h20rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Rear bow attachment. Reply with quote

Before starting my install, I wanted to check on how to install the rear wood bow. Should it be fastened down with screws? glued? (72 Ghia)
Thanks
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal bow that the wood bow fits into has holes in the bottom side for countersink screws to go into and then into the wood.

I'm doing a 72 Ghia vert now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h20rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tiambert. Just what I needed. Smile
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the wood bow needs to be mounted a certain way into the metal bow. The OG wood bow has a raised lip on the top side that runs the length of the bow. It should be to the rear of the top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post sources for the M3.7 closed-back finishing washers (VW part no. N115781):

http://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/golf-und-co./golf...-top-3.7mm

and in M4...

(Nickel over brass)
http://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/4mm-5mm-6mm-met...p-washers/

and...

ebay member: northenmoi (stainless M4)
veedub13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Hi this info has been extremely useful.

Working on a 1971 changing the glass and covers. After multiple adjustments, I still can't get a good fit. There are gaps between the glass and soft top cover at the bottom sides. Looks about 10mm off. The centre part of the glass fits fine, but the sides don't. Are there other adjustments I can make?

Pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

veedub13 wrote:
Working on a 1971 changing the glass and covers. After multiple adjustments, I still can't get a good fit. There are gaps between the glass and soft top cover at the bottom sides. Looks about 10mm off. The centre part of the glass fits fine, but the sides don't. Are there other adjustments I can make?

Hi veedub13, First, that's a beautiful color combination! Also, what type of padding did you use between the frame and the top cover?

As to your question, similar small gaps resulted when I replaced the top on my '71. At the time I hypothesized that a possible remedy might have been to adjust the position of the rear window hinges further upward, but as [email protected] pointed out (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297091) that adjustment is limited by the rear cowling. Since the rear window hinge adjustment has a ripple effect on measurements throughout the installation, the only way to test the hypothesis would be to start over, so I thank the German engineers who thought to add the rain gutters to the rear window frame and the drain tubes over the wheel arches, as I haven't had any leaks even in severe downpours of rain.
veedub13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
veedub13 wrote:

Hi veedub13, First, that's a beautiful color combination! Also, what type of padding did you use between the frame and the top cover?

As to your question, similar small gaps resulted when I replaced the top on my '71. At the time I hypothesized that a possible remedy might have been to adjust the position of the rear window hinges further upward, but as [email protected] pointed out (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297091) that adjustment is limited by the rear cowling. Since the rear window hinge adjustment has a ripple effect on measurements throughout the installation, the only way to test the hypothesis would be to start over, so I thank the German engineers who thought to add the rain gutters to the rear window frame and the drain tubes over the wheel arches, as I haven't had any leaks even in severe downpours of rain.

Hey thanks very much for the reply. Padding is just foam that upholsterers use. Unfortunately, some parts of the top were pinched and poked through and I'll need to replace the entire top altogether. I'm also going to attempt to re-measure and fit everything again to get this glass to fit properly.
Brisyb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Hi Ghiaaddict, do you happen to have a softcopy, or know where I can get, of the Convertible Top, Model 14 manual you show in your post.

I have a 1971 model and am rebuilding the top so correct measurements etc. are needed.
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Brisyb wrote:
Hi Ghiaaddict, do you happen to have a softcopy, or know where I can get, of the Convertible Top, Model 14 manual you show in your post.

I have a 1971 model and am rebuilding the top so correct measurements etc. are needed.

Ghiaaddict (Vince) hasn't been on here since 2014. I've called him several times and received no answer and no way to leave a message.

Not sure what has happened to him. If anyone has any info on his well being please let us know.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Brisyb wrote:

I think I got my copy when I ordered a new top from Chuck's. It came with it.

However I did not find it to be much help. The pretty much just followed the instructions and videos here on the forum.
Karmannwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Padding in 3 parts with in the middle horsehair(coconut)
Does anyone have experience with this?, what is the top.
Total thickness is 4 cm is this normal?

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

That thickness is correct. The material is coconut husk sandwiched with a modern furniture padding. It is way better that using foam that will decay in a few short years. I would prefer using 100% husk but that might be difficult to find. I know Rugier Huber did stock it, but I've not seen any other supplier. Maybe if you know a furniture restorer that might provide a clue of where to get that stuff.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Who or what is Rugier Huber? Have a link?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Who or what is Rugier Huber? Have a link?

He is a German supplier
https://www.vintagecarparts.de/
But his shop has been closed since April.
Sad
Nicholas
Karmannwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

This paddind I bought at a German supplier. Maybe you can buy this here appart.

https://cabrio.de/de/

Triumpf tr4 1963
Karmann ghia 1969 (in restauration)

Wilfried.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible Top Replacement Reply with quote

Interesting...I notice he has the wooden bows as well.
The prices aren't super crazy either, for a European supply.
Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: