Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilcor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms Reply with quote

So I've prettied everything up with new padding, new paint and new upholstery, and I'm afraid I'm going to tear it all up reattaching the seat backs to the bottoms. (Shop manual: Press the ends apart so they go over the studs. Right.)

Does anyone know a trick? Is there something I'm supposed to know that makes this easy? This is my fourth Thing resto, so this is not a new one. Just seems way harder, if not impossible, this time.

The seat adjusters seem to get badly in the way of this operation. Is it easier if they're removed?

Appreciate any helpful tips. Or, for that matter, any tips at all.

Will Corbin
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms Reply with quote

Thing Shop has a good Youtube video and so does Wolfsburg West. Just did mine a couple of days ago and it went fine after after watching the videos. You will need a piece of vinyl or something to protect the bottom cushion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms Reply with quote

Watch The Thing Shop video on recovering seats. I'm waiting on TMI covers ordered 3 weeks ago. It was difficult to separate the back from the bottom,
I think the trick is to do one side at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odx74LsjMQw
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms Reply with quote

Just did mine last week. They will go on, you just have to apply some muscle. Make sure the backrest arms are over the vinyl, then have at it.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
wilcor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reassembling seat backs to seat bottoms Reply with quote

The Thing Shop video did the trick. (I had googled the subject matter many different ways but didn't come up with that useful bit.)

Took about three minutes per seat when I positioned the pieces properly. I was trying to engage the tilt mechanism as part of the reassembly. Can't be done that way. And the secret is in the initial angle of attack.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Will
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: