Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

Guys,

I was fortunate last year to acquire a nice original SO 23 Westfalia. With the purchase came an original slopping Westfalia roof rack.

I have not yet used the roof rack. Before I try for the first time, was hoping one of the members might share how they install the roof rack on the bus without scratching or damaging the roof rail paint.

What about the guys with "show" buses. How do you carefully install and remove? Was thinking maybe a thin piece of rubber between the paint and the clamp?

I searched the topics, but did not find any advice on this point.

Replies with tips or best practices are greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

First know this- ALL racks scratch paint. They wiggle going down the road and can rub through whatever protection you try to put on them. If you are convinced your rubber strips are perfect- your clamps will chew through, etc. But you can wrap rubber "condoms" around the gutter blades and the clamps. Rubber hose can be split for the blades too and a short section of clear large diameter hose can be slipped around the clamp.

Two people are needed to install these on the show buses-always. Walk up from behind the bus and the first one who sneezes buys the paint repair.

One person- To plop the thing down on old paint- I simply walk up to the side of the bus with the rack flat against me- and with a smooth heft- lift it up above the roof rail- still holding it vertically and set it gently into the gutter. Then I SLOWLY ease it down from the gutter I'm resting it in until the other side is resting on the opposite side.

If your not finding bus info here- visit the accessory forums and the T1 and T3 threads as well for rack advice.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

So, I bought a one owner SO-42 westy. It came with a rack, but didn't have a scratch on the original paint. It was a tourist delivery bus, and when they got it home, the rack didn't fit in the garage. So they stuck the rack in the attic.

Fast forward 6 years (last month), and I get a call from the original owners son. He was cleaning out his moms house and found a box with all of the maintenance receipts from the bus, from day one. In that box was another envelope, pictured below.

That rack was only taken off that bus once before I got it, and there are imprints on the little pads from the rack clamps. I can only assume that they were there when the bus was delivered new.

I have always used electrical tape on the clamp ends, but I think I will re-install these on that bus.

Anyone else ever see these? Maybe they are common and I never knew it. Maybe the owner made them? All signs point to them being there from new...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

It surprises me none-the-slightest that your beautiful bus had these Drew. Smile
Bradford

They do have a manufactured look to them- and has me thinking that a short section of (bear with me) shower door sweeper could almost duplicate that profile once kinked. More importantly, am I seeing these before Lind? Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

I was going to forward to Lind, but have not yet... They look like they were cut from a long strip, not manufactured individually. They are more silver than they appear in the photo.
lo-lo55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

For the rack 'feet' I use heavy duty furniture felt that usually goes under table legs to protect hardwood floors, and for the clamp rubber glued on from an old cycle tube. Folded down where the gutter meets the side panel, the end of the clamp rubs there too. Just a repro rack though.

For fitting two person if possible, or lay a heavy blanket over the roof and place rack ontop and slide if necessary to position, and fit one side at a time. Unfortunately some damage to the gutters over time is inevitable.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

Seen these on another Westy as well. Looked almost like abba zabba. Definitely a cool find and something that should be reproduced if possible.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

I have used a product designed for tool handles called Dip-it or Plasti-dip something. It is a rubberized coating and you dip the feet of the rack and the clamps and let it dry. Takes a few coats if I recall correctly. Works excellent, no scratches and if you want to get it off it will come off reasonably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

Drew Ogden wrote:
I was going to forward to Lind, but have not yet... They look like they were cut from a long strip, not manufactured individually. They are more silver than they appear in the photo.

Is that the same stuff they used on the tent rail?

I’ve seen seals on so-42 clamps before. I thought they were light grey, don’t think ive seen any that nice before. Nice find. Thanks for sharing.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

My '65 SO42 had those as well.

Drew Ogden wrote:
So, I bought a one owner SO-42 westy. It came with a rack, but didn't have a scratch on the original paint. It was a tourist delivery bus, and when they got it home, the rack didn't fit in the garage. So they stuck the rack in the attic.

Fast forward 6 years (last month), and I get a call from the original owners son. He was cleaning out his moms house and found a box with all of the maintenance receipts from the bus, from day one. In that box was another envelope, pictured below.

That rack was only taken off that bus once before I got it, and there are imprints on the little pads from the rack clamps. I can only assume that they were there when the bus was delivered new.

I have always used electrical tape on the clamp ends, but I think I will re-install these on that bus.

Anyone else ever see these? Maybe they are common and I never knew it. Maybe the owner made them? All signs point to them being there from new...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
An aluminum pop rivet broke on my tent rail. A piece of what was between the tent rail & rain gutter fell out. It was plastic, very thin (thinner than the clamp / gutter protector) and its width was how tall the rain gutter is high.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
campingbox wrote:
An aluminum pop rivet broke on my tent rail. A piece of what was between the tent rail & rain gutter fell out. It was plastic, very thin (thinner than the clamp / gutter protector) and its width was how tall the rain gutter is high.

I had that too... it was white if I remember correctly but it didn't survive the repaint

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

Cut down side window seals work good for the clamps.

Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
Cut down side window seals work good for the clamps.

Ditto

thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Advice regarding Westfalia roof rack. Tips on how to attach Reply with quote

Guys,

Excellent suggestions & tips.

Really appreciate everyone sharing their insights!

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: