Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm trying my hand (first time) at rebuilding a 1600 DP motor. I got everything together (I've been following the Bug Me Videos) except for the flywheel and clutch. I noticed that when I push and pull the pulley the crank will move back and forth. The main bearing at the front of the engine does not move when the crank does. When I placed the bearings, everything felt snug.
Then when I turn the motor by hand there is a point in the rotation where the pulley wheel will push out and then pull back in towards the motor. Trying to figure out what's wrong. Again, I have not installed the flywheel yet. Any ideas on what my next step should be or if this is normal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

set your endplay, install flywheel , tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs at least then rotate crank. then get back to thread
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
set your endplay, install flywheel , tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs at least then rotate crank. then get back to thread

Can't set endplay without flywheel being installed first right? Again total neb here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

Correct, the endplay is set by installing a set of three shims between the #1 bearing and the flywheel with it bolted/torqued properly to the crank.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs ? thats wrong
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

^ Disclaimer, the above advice is a start, not the entire process.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

Correct , two shims , torque flywheel (100# or more), measure endplay. Subract.004 ", result should be third shim thickness , remove flywheel, add third shim, torque flywheel again, recheck endplay . If in spec . (.003-.005). Good to go. Remove flywheel , install crank seal, install o ring , using appropriate libricants ( Bentley has this) , reinstall flywheel , torque to spec, 270 ft/lbs . Done. Good luck, dont forget to report back
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! So, it seems that the movement of the crankshaft doesn't seem to be a concern at this point. Best thing to do is finish out the build by installing flywheel, setting endplay and going from there.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

Just make sure that if you have the distributor drive gear installed and it's 2 washers that you have the distributor on and clamped in so the brass gear does not get in a bind against the distributor drive gear if it pushes it up.
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft. Reply with quote

It's been a year, but I literally just got this engine finally pulled altogether. Once I installed the flywheel I was able to set the endplay to exact specs and everything was tight as could be; no movement. Bench started it and ran it to seal the piston rings. Things ran great. Thanks for the tips. Thought I'd give an update.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: