Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery strap too short.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Perhaps with newer batteries taller is the reason my WW battery strap won't reach by almost 3 inches. What are some of the solutions to extend it besides designing a longer bolt down hole? Or perhaps I ordered/was sent the wrong strap? this is for 12 volt 67 bus. I see nothing in my search.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

67s don't have a strap, they use a clamp

See this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240883

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

And, although not necessary to bolt it, part 84 is a special bolt that cuts through the rust and acid muck if.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Why is that bolt so long it only goes through sheet metal unless I'm getting all this wrong.

BarryL wrote:
And, although not necessary to bolt it, part 84 is a special bolt that cuts through the rust and acid muck if.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Post a picture of your battery tray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Why is that bolt so long it only goes through sheet metal unless I'm getting all this wrong.

because the captive nut that the bolt threads into is on a bit of an angle, on a V shaped plate of sorts. that, and it helps with variances in battery casing thickness. the battery tray should also have a C shaped channel for the battery to slide in and the clamp pinches the whole mess together

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

BarryL wrote:

The bracket is upside down and backward (sorry) and missing the lock washer. See Everett's diagram.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

The tray I bought was for a pre 67 bus probably 66 which has the loop for a traditional strap, 10 years ago I was a novice about a lot of bus information. I am not replacing that metal battery tray, well not in the near future anyway.

Therefore knowing that how is it that the strap is too short and what are people doing as an easy fix? I thought of taking hollow tubing and longer bolt for the opposite side so the hook can reach and yes I can always drill another hole and buy an aftermarket hold down battery bracket. I can't imagine I am the only one with this problem. I'll get a photo today.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Not in a Bus but since I was driving the car off-road, the original clamp was not enough to keep the battery in place so I made a bracket to secure it out of a section of angle iron & threaded rod.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
The tray I bought was for a pre 67 bus probably 66 which has the loop for a traditional strap

LAGrunthaner wrote:
short and what are people doing as an easy fix?

Don't thread the nut all the way down on the captive bolt on the tray.

The threads lower down on my bolt are ruined, so I can only thread the nut down half an inch or so. That leaves the strap loose over the 12V Bosch battery that I have in my truck.

I have to put a length of 2x4 on top of the battery to increase the height so I can clamp it down firmly. That also keeps the strap clear of the terminals so I don't risk shorting to the body (12V battery covers are like rocking horse poo). It's also the block of wood that I use on my trolley jack. I cut a notch cut in it to clear the center pin if I'm lifting by the front beam. Using it on the battery means I always know where that special block of wood it is, and it reminds me to disconnect the battery (usually Rolling Eyes ) when I'm working on the truck.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Thanks Who.Me?, I would like to use the 66 strap being I bought it, although I like what you designed. Back to the drawing board.

Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
The tray I bought was for a pre 67 bus probably 66 which has the loop for a traditional strap

LAGrunthaner wrote:
short and what are people doing as an easy fix?

Don't thread the nut all the way down on the captive bolt on the tray.

The threads lower down on my bolt are ruined, so I can only thread the nut down half an inch or so. That leaves the strap loose over the 12V Bosch battery that I have in my truck.

I have to put a length of 2x4 on top of the battery to increase the height so I can clamp it down firmly. That also keeps the strap clear of the terminals so I don't risk shorting to the body (12V battery covers are like rocking horse poo). It's also the block of wood that I use on my trolley jack. I cut a notch cut in it to clear the center pin if I'm lifting by the front beam. Using it on the battery means I always know where that special block of wood it is, and it reminds me to disconnect the battery (usually Rolling Eyes ) when I'm working on the truck.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

I’ve fixed this two ways:
1(easiest)- use a coupling nut and a small piece of all thread or cut off bolt to lengthen stud.
2- you can use the end of an old gas tank strap to cut and weld the battery strap to the correct length. Cut it so the seam isn’t seen behind the battery.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks Who.Me?, I would like to use the 66 strap being I bought it

Are different vendors selling different length straps? When I needed a strap, I bought this one from Autocraft here in the UK that says it's for all years. It is too loose even with a 12V battery (because I can only secure it part way down the stud). http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-All+Vehi...5-67_1968/

I don't suppose you've ended up with half of a Type 1 strap like this?... http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-All+Vehi...6-66_3599/

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

OMG Krustybus I just realized you are 100% correct with your solution, threaded rod or even longer bolt either way that would be an easy fix which I will try. Thanks

Krustybus wrote:
1(easiest)- use a coupling nut and a small piece of all thread or cut off bolt to lengthen stud.
2- you can use the end of an old gas tank strap to cut and weld the battery strap to the correct length. Cut it so the seam isn’t seen behind the battery.

No, Who.Me? it's not a half strap but interesting either way. What I would like to know is why the strap will not go over my 12 volt battery, I will assume 12 volt batteries are higher than the 6 volt. Is this correct? If this is so what do owners of pre 67 with straps do when they switch over to the 12 volt system? I like Krustybus's idea. Pictures to follow.

Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks Who.Me?, I would like to use the 66 strap being I bought it

Are different vendors selling different length straps? When I needed a strap, I bought this one from Autocraft here in the UK that says it's for all years. It is too loose even with a 12V battery (because I can only secure it part way down the stud). http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-All+Vehi...5-67_1968/

I don't suppose you've ended up with half of a Type 1 strap like this?... http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-All+Vehi...6-66_3599/

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

If you can get a battery box that fits pretty closely to the L/R side of the battery, it is a good investment to get a box. Keeps the battery acid that the batteries tend to sweat out of the top, from getting to the body work and causing more rust.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I will assume 12 volt batteries are higher than the 6 volt. Is this correct?

Battery choice may the problem.

I googled the battery in TDCTDI's picture above. Walmart's website says it's 8.9 inches high and 6.9 wide (226mm x 175mm).

I'm using a Bosch S3 065 battery that is 175mm high x 175mm wide.

A strap would need to be 100mm longer (about 4 inches) to go up and over TDCTDI's battery than the Bosch.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
OMG Krustybus I just realized you are 100% correct with your solution, threaded rod or even longer bolt either way that would be an easy fix which I will try. Thanks

Krustybus wrote:

You put the "all nut" onto the existing stud then go up from there with the "all thread" , which I'm sure you got that.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
What I would like to know is why the strap will not go over my 12 volt battery, I will assume 12 volt batteries are higher than the 6 volt. Is this correct? If this is so what do owners of pre 67 with straps do when they switch over to the 12 volt system?

Depends on how tall your battery is and it should have a cover. 6 volts had a cover that actually had a place for the strap to lay on.
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Linda, here is my setup in my '66 bus converted to 12 volt. Tall battery like a 6 volt but it is a 12 volt with cutouts in the battery cover.

'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Fits perfect with a 12V optima

suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Battery strap too short. Reply with quote

Linda, here is a picture of my 12V Interstate battery shaped like a 6V from an old thread and other ideas.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8167955&highlight=#8167955
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: