Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Lift Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Quote:
Very cool, Broseph! I've been debating the 1.5" Cavevan pucks myself and was nervous about the torsion bars up front. You also added new shocks at the same time, correct? Was that necessary, or moreso, would I be dumb not to do shocks too?

Thanks man!

I don't know if stiffer shocks are "necessary". The van probably is fine with OEM shocks. It was designed to to be a cargo van for global applications with a strong suspension right out of the factory.

I do like Bilstein HD 4600 shocks, used them on several Tacomas and Tundras, but it's just a shock, maybe a bit stiffer compression than OEM. You don't get extended length, it's just an OEM replacement shock that maybe is a bit stiffer.

Also, the front Bilstein HD's are on national backorder right now, I'm still waiting on the fronts I ordered two months ago. The front OEM shocks I have on the '03 are fine, I've cornered it on winding Colorado roads, they feel solid.

Lifting the torsion bars, just set them to a height you feel won't put the CV's at a bad angle. The bars look like they can allow four inches of lift, but then you get into CV angles and the shocks are extended to their max.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Furgoman_u wrote:
Hi everybody.
We are right now with the same dilema.
We need to lift the van to put bigger offroad tyres. The van has 302.000 km and perhaps it is a good moment to upgrade the suspension.
So we are the Cavevan lift kit or go for a broke and install the Seikel lift kit with new springs and shocks.
What do you think? Sooner or later the shocks are going be replaced.

I believe you can put stiffer LWB rear springs on your standard wheel base van. Stiffer spring, it's a different part number than the standard spring.

I believe because you have a Syncro you don't need a lift to fit bigger tires. Even with a Syncro there is a limit for tire size, probably 225/70/16.
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

why does the GoWesty lift kit come with 3 spacers (1/2")?
slorider02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

lucksp wrote:
why does the GoWesty lift kit come with 3 spacers (1/2")?

It's for the EVC the driver side rear needs 2 spacers because of the added weight.
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Ok that makes sense from the docs I’ve read. So the 3rd spacer is also for rear?

For a 1.5” lift lift I’d need to buy more spacers right. I haven’t seen what the expected height change is with this.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

lucksp wrote:
Ok that makes sense from the docs I’ve read. So the 3rd spacer is also for rear?

For a 1.5” lift lift I’d need to buy more spacers right. I haven’t seen what the expected height change is with this.

Call Cole at cavevan.com, he'll give you all the details, also may do some maintenance for you.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

I have two sets of 1.5" spacers I would sell. PM me if you want a set.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

I think that I need some new shocks for my 2002 EVC. Currently have 85K on the machine. AT about 40K I swapped out the shocks for some Monroe truck/RVs. I recall that they seemed to firm up the ride some then. However they seem super soft now.

This is our families van that my father keeps so I have not driven is much. In his advanced age he does not use it much anymore and ask that I take possession of. We have had it since new. When I got it a couple of months ago I was surprised how soft the suspension was. Coming in and out of driveway you felt it, cornering you felt it. No biggie this is a camper van. But traveling down long desert highways, the cross wind and undulations in the road would cause difficult handling issues. Scary, couldn't even drive the speed limit. NEver recall having this issue. I use to hot rod this thing all over the sierra's when it was newer and remember it handling great.

I have been looking at getting Bilstein HD's. I have had alot of experience with these shocks in various trucks but never in a EVC. Does this shock have enough dampening for the EVC? DO I need the Go-Westy XHDs. Anyone compare the two back to back in a EVC?

What about all the other HD shocks. I see Sachs and Meyle also make some shocks for the EVC. The Meyle look like it has a bigger shock body 2.5-3"(?). Anyone have experience with these?

Any input would be appreciated.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

I have Bilstein XDs on my Weekender, and they handle great. In a duel between Sachs and Meyle, I'd take the former every time. I think Sachs is OE to these vans and they really do make very good shocks. An EVC is a very heavy beast, so you may want to step up to Fox shocks, which I believe GW also sells.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

I think that I need some new shocks for my 2002 EVC. Currently have 85K on the machine. AT about 40K I swapped out the shocks for some Monroe truck/RVs. I recall that they seemed to firm up the ride some then. However they seem super soft now.

This is our families van that my father keeps so I have not driven is much. In his advanced age he does not use it much anymore and ask that I take possession of. We have had it since new. When I got it a couple of months ago I was surprised how soft the suspension was. Coming in and out of driveway you felt it, cornering you felt it. No biggie this is a camper van. But traveling down long desert highways, the cross wind and undulations in the road would cause difficult handling issues. Scary, couldn't even drive the speed limit. NEver recall having this issue. I use to hot rod this thing all over the sierra's when it was newer and remember it handling great.

I have been looking at getting Bilstein HD's. I have had alot of experience with these shocks in various trucks but never in a EVC. Does this shock have enough dampening for the EVC? DO I need the Go-Westy XHDs. Anyone compare the two back to back in a EVC?

What about all the other HD shocks. I see Sachs and Meyle also make some shocks for the EVC. The Meyle look like it has a bigger shock body 2.5-3"(?). Anyone have experience with these?

Any input would be appreciated.

I bought Bilstein 4600's. Did not know there was Meyle shocks from Autohaus - https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/14182353-1267150018?...UNEALw_wcB

4600's did well onroad and offroad loaded to 5600lbs.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I have Bilstein XDs on my Weekender, and they handle great. In a duel between Sachs and Meyle, I'd take the former every time. I think Sachs is OE to these vans and they really do make very good shocks. An EVC is a very heavy beast, so you may want to step up to Fox shocks, which I believe GW also sells.

So you have the Extra Heavy Duties and they are not too heavily dampened for a Weekender? And between the Sachs and Meyle you'd go for the Sachs. Thanks.

Broseph Stalin wrote:

I bought Bilstein 4600's. Did not know there was Meyle shocks from Autohaus - https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/14182353-1267150018?...UNEALw_wcB

The Meyle shocks have the oversized shock body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ANyone ever run these?

THe Sachs 105-819 also have an oversized body and are said to be HD. These are not the shocks that came on our EVC.

Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

So you have the Extra Heavy Duties and they are not too heavily dampened for a Weekender? And between the Sachs and Meyle you'd go for the Sachs. Thanks.

Broseph Stalin wrote:

The Meyle shocks have the oversized shock body.

ANyone ever run these?

THe Sachs 105-819 also have an oversized body and are said to be HD. These are not the shocks that came on our EVC.

I'm a big fan of strong shocks with more oil capacity. I would have bought the Meyles if I knew they were available. Fading can be a problem loaded to 5600lbs+ and repeated cycling on twisty roads and offroad.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Potentially stupid question...how can I tell if my van has been lifted? Based upon a couple of the images at the beginning of the thread, I think mine may already have a kit installed. Is there a measurement that would tell for sure?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Potentially stupid question...how can I tell if my van has been lifted? Based upon a couple of the images at the beginning of the thread, I think mine may already have a kit installed. Is there a measurement that would tell for sure?

If your LP tank skid has more than six inches ground clearance, you're lifted.
Looks like your EVC has been lifted already to get the 16" wheels on, the 16" tires won't work without a lift in the front. Look at the top of the rear coils for pucks. The front you'll probably see a lot more thread on the torsion bar T-bars compared to stock height.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:

Lifting these vans seem to really be returning to stock height. By now all of our vans have sagged in the front. Seems like the torsion bars started to sag after a couple of thousand miles. From the factory the front and rear where mostly level. Look at this picture from a brochure of the van new. Notice how level it is and the space between the top of the wheel well and the top of the tire.

This is my van a few months ago. Notice the rake. My van has been lifted an inch and a half or so.

So if your van is anywhere close to level it has probably been lifted.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:
white74westy wrote:

If your LP tank skid has more than six inches ground clearance, you're lifted.
Looks like your EVC has been lifted already to get the 16" wheels on, the 16" tires won't work without a lift in the front. Look at the top of the rear coils for pucks. The front you'll probably see a lot more thread on the torsion bar T-bars compared to stock height.

Hey Broseph!

Thanks for the heads up. I thought as much, but I figured I would ask. I went out and measured the distance from the bottom of the skid plate to the ground and it is well over 6 inches.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
white74westy wrote:

Lifting these vans seem to really be returning to stock height. By now all of our vans have sagged in the front. Seems like the torsion bars started to sag after a couple of thousand miles. From the factory the front and rear where mostly level. Look at this picture from a brochure of the van new. Notice how level it is and the space between the top of the wheel well and the top of the tire.

This is my van a few months ago. Notice the rake. My van has been lifted an inch and a half or so.

So if your van is anywhere close to level it has probably been lifted.

I got that same brochure in the pack of goodies I got from my buddy when I bought the van.

I think you're probably right about returning things somewhere near to stock. I'm glad to have it done already. I have nothing to compare it against, but I'm considering changing the shocks out...mine seem a little suspect.

Thanks for responding!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: