Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Hi, I just pulled the head on my daughters car and I'm not sure how the pistons don't have any marks. The cams turn by hand with a ratchet so the head isn't locked up. Do I dare put it back together without pulling head apart and checking valves? It was raining really hard so she was only going about 15 MPH, would this low RPM have saved the valves, or would it matter? Thanks for any help. I usually spend most of my time in the aircooled section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timming belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Rob Timmons wrote:

You can distinctly see valve impact marks on this piston at 9:00 & 7:00 positions. The biggest problem with a light tap of the valves on a 1.8t is that the valve stems are thin enough that the spring tension will make them look like they are OK but they won’t seal correctly.

More than likely you will have bent at least 6 exhaust and about 8 intake. You really should check the middle intake cam follower on each cylinder as these will also be damaged by the camshaft, you will see little lines hammered into the surface.
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was looking at the center of the pistons comparing them to other pictures I have looked at, I will take a closer look at them tonight.

I do have another head I can put on it, just don't know the past of that motor. I guess I'll have to pull it apart and see. Do you know if you need a special tool to pull the valves out, or can a regular spring compressor pull the keepers of the valves out?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

You will probably need a special spring compressor due to the fact that the springs are pretty recessed into the cylinder head.

As far as the replacement head goes, remove a cam cap off each cam & check for galling of the cam, usually around #3 cylinder. If it's good, you should be able to swap the head. Make sure that the head has the provisions for the EGR valve, some early 1.8t Passat heads did not have these.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

As long as the original head is good, I would fix that one.

There is a lot of unknown history with used parts. It's hard enough to do the job once, let alone a second time.

Yes, the valves have hit the pistons, the damages were pointed out by TDCTDI.
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. Didn't have time to look at it tonight but calling machine shop tomorrow to get an idea of how much if he does it. The other motor I have is in a passat and running but I don't know anything about it. I picked it up for body parts for my others daughters car.
Thanks again,
Rob
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

If the Passat runs & it’s a ‘01 or newer & you want to save the $, yank the head & toss it on.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Figuired I'd check to see what it would cost to fix this one first. That might be the way I go though. I'll pull it and make sure those pistons are clear of any marks just to know.
Rob
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank you guys. I pulled the head on my parts car and finally got it back together and running. Thanks for the input on the marks. You were spot on. once I cleaned the carbon off of the pistons it was very easy to see the marks.
Rob
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Jetta 1.8 turbo. broken timing belt with no piston hits Reply with quote

Nice. Beautiful country up there, so nice they named a country in South America after you

Very Happy

I'm two hours South
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: