Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Fastback?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dayunbao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 73 Fastback with a fair amount of rust. Rather than trying to fix all the rust, I'm thinking about turning it into a Baja/rally car. Does anyone know how much of the typical Baja Beetle conversion parts or procedures would work on a late model type 3?

Thanks!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

Front end is all different. The front suspension should be a set of torsion tubes, so completely different. Rear should be the same.
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

Here is a Baja Fasty for inspiration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a build there here, but all of the pics are lost. Unfortunately the fellow that built the car is no longer with us.

http://www.azbaja.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=3092/finish=15/start=0.html

Most any type 1 Baja rear suspension parts will work in the the rear. The front Type 3 beam is completely different from a type 1 Beam though.

This was the original plan for the build:

"I am lopping off the front clip and going with a one piece that I have to pick up next week. The rear is getting cut right at the deck lid and will be open like a beetle baja. I am going to cut off the frame head and extend the wheels base 5 inches so I will have more tire clearance, a link pin beam will be added too. The rear will get the 3x3s I already have and the 930 CVs. It will also get a bus trans."

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

That is one cool ride!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

That Baja Fasty was done right.... Every time I see I want to build one!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

That was BugZila's T3 Fastback. Nice Car!

Another Baja T3 was built by 57Baja (owner of Kaddieshack) for his son. There is a build on here. Another on the old SoCal Bajas forum, but I don't know if it's available since Tapatalk took over all of the Yuku forums. Btu it should still be available here in the HBBOffroad forums. It was around 2009-10 when he did it.

He got 10" of front wheel travel with the ball joint front end. The front arms are longer than T1 arms so the ball joints let the longer travel work.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

Here is 57Baja's T3 build. He called it "Baja Squared" as it's a Squareback.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360129&highlight
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

this one is in my back yard. complicated story

3" body lift, prerunner for a baja team.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Fastback? Reply with quote

Here is 57Baja's T3 build. He called it "Baja Squared" as it's a Squareback.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360129&highlight
And the build on SoCalBajas:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/socalbajas/57baja-39-s-squareback-build-t174.html
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: