Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Buggy Upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I spent much of the winter upgrading the engine and front axle in anticipation of downgrading some road trips this summer.

This thread is the closest I could remember to a thread about travelling and we are leaving in the morning to go on a 10 hour trip through the mountains to see the grandchildren. We have been itching to get away with the Buggy all summer but work keeps getting in the way.

This is not the best time of the year weather wise as we could quite easily get into a snow storm at higher altitudes and there is rain in the forecast. It gets down close to freezing in the early mornings now but midday is often 60 to 70* F if the sun is out. If we leave it much longer we will need skiis on the front and snow chains on the rear!

Pictures to come.

Sorry no trailer this time!

You can always start your own post for your trip........It's not too difficult coming up with a subject...... Rolling Eyes Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Now here is the part I am looking most forward to. The reflections afterward!

#1) So glad I took a tool kit as we had an issue and while I was not able to cure it I at least could check out some possibilities and put my mind to rest that it was OK to continue with the trip!

#2) Warm dry gear!!! I cannot stress that enough! Even though we thought we were good, one more pair of socks, one more sweater and do not ever think mid price range rain gear is good enough. It is not! It leaks and you WILL be miserable!
You cannot overdress, if you get too warm later you can shed some and tuck it under the seat but if you don't have enough... it's not pretty!!

#3) We wrapped our luggage in a tarp to keep it dry - it was dry too but the flapping of the tarp just about drove us nuts! No matter how we folded, tucked, taped something would get loose and flap!

#4) Stop lots and walk around. Big guy, small Buggy and no cruise control made for some awkward moments. The leg cramps like to hit hard in heavy traffic 1/2 way around a tight bend with the sun in your eyes... !

#5) The need for waterproofing the ignition system is real. Even with all new ignition parts when the heavy rain hit it just would not stay firing on all cylinders. The result was a premature fuel stop as we blew through a lot of gas when it was not running well.

Here is to hoping others will share experiances on the road and ideas that work. Thanks for reading and in advance for your comments.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Sorry Clonebug! Would you rather I did? Your trip was here so I just thought to add to it.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

After fighting the addiction for so long.......I couldn't resist....... Rolling Eyes

I had to cave........

I bought another turbo at the Swapmeet yesterday since it was just tooo good to pass up. Laughing Cool

Holset HY35W from a 2003 Dodge Cummins powered truck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This should be able to support my hp demands for a while.

I didn't have a 2018 upgrade plan but I might have to rethink it now...... Wink Cool

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I have some serious doubts that it will be an improvement without some serious displacement and breathing changes. Here is how I see it from a distance and just by observing your results to this point.

The turbo you have on it now originally made 260/270 hp? on a 2.5 liter engine at 1/2 or less of the pressure you are running now. That comes out to 22hp/psi. Right now you are doing 200hp with 1.6 liters for 8.3hp/psi. That and the fact that it takes 24 psi to get where you are tells me that there is a bottle neck somewhere in your design that is limiting your results. Your intake manifold may be seeing that kind of pressure but I highly doubt the combustion chamber is.

My arm chair (yes it is just speculation) prediction is the efficiency of your setup is going to deteriorate big time with a turbo that is matched to a 5.9 liter engine on a 1.6 liter one. Likely no boost below 4K, perhaps match your previous numbers somewhere north of 6K and run into compressor surge and high charge temp issues beyond that.

Prove me wrong. Popcorn
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I just re-read my last post here and I must admit it sounds pretty harsh! I apologize for that clonebug, you proved me wrong about what a stock 1600 will take and I acknowledge that. I admit to being blown away by this project and should have slept on my reply instead of posting in the heat of the moment.

Enjoy this new adventure! Merv

P.S. I still think you're nuts though!! Laughing
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I never said I was going to...... Cool

I'm just tempted to try it. I have a set of 40X37.5mm heads that ended up being junk even though new. I might have them completely gone through with new valves and whatever else is needed.
I probably wouldn't install this bigger turbo without bigger heads and a better intake.....but I'm cheap so we will see.

I'd probably try it just to prove to myself....and the naysayers that it can be done.

The turbine side of these HY35W turbos are the 9R housing and they are designed for very fast spool on the automatic trucks to keep the soot emissions down. The hot side has a very small inlet and from what I have read will spool quite quickly on a gas engine due to the hotter exhaust compared to a diesel engine.
Heat equals velocity.

Whatever it does I bet it will pump some serious air flow.
It's really not that big of a turbo if you look closely at it......but it is a heavy beast though...... Embarassed

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Here is another way to look at it. My Cummins reaches cross over at about 1400 rpm X 5.9 liter displacement = 8,260 liters/minute. Divide that by your 1.6 liter VW engine and you should start boost at 5,162 rpm.

At the other end of the scale my Cummins is red lined at 3300 rpm and makes about 315 hp. 5.9 x 3300 = 19,470 liters/minute. Divide that by 1.6 liters and you will get 12,169 rpm to get that kind of volume through your VW.

That is a pretty simplistic calculation and does not take any variables in volumetric efficiency into account but to me it does show that it is serious mismatch.

Go for it, it will be interesting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: