Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kads or p11
Kads
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
P11
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Looking to find out which dual carb set up will maximize street performance/ daily use. From my own experience kads are hands down the simplest carbs to set up/ fix/ upgrade and are well within budget if you know what you are doing. I want to know if you run a set of equally set up 40 p11-4 carbs would they run better (extract better mileage and or power)? And this includes running early single shaft or later split shaft or in combination later split shaft body with single shaft upgrade (more progressive holes). Since all engine combos react differently, please start with stock 1600 and move up from there and explain where one carb might excel vs the other.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Why compare Solex P-11's to Kads? Is this some sort of vintage build?

If comparing dual Kads to dual Webers (including clones) or Dells (also including clones) I'd say the Kads are simplest but the dual 2 barrel carbs WILL give better power and smoothness once correctly set up.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Hey, the top pic are my carbs!
If you can afford to buy the jets to tune the 40 p11 they will run circles around kadrons.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

P11.

If you can afford to set them up, that is. Better keep them for a Vintage style build though!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Daily driver, - definitely Kadrons! right up to at least 2 liter. Build the engine so that it corresponds well with dual sgl. carbs and get a lot of trouble free miles.

PII´s are a PITA, especially some of the earlier versions and evenmore on smaller engines. Going 1800 - 2000 cc. it gets somewhat better, but still. Expect to burn a lot of fuel before ypou get them dialed in properly.

T
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

I would sell the P11's to some Porsche guy and get a set of Webers just because jet and rebuild kit are goiung to be way cheaper.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I would sell the P11's to some Porsche guy and get a set of Webers just because jet and rebuild kit are goiung to be way cheaper.

If you find the right guy you could likely trade them for dells or webers pretty easily.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Iv come to aquire some p11s in a deal and could not decide if I wanted to rebuild them for a 1600. I haven’t be able to find info on there performance capabilities, mostly been able to find info on how expensive or hard to tune. So I think I will hold on to them till my cads need a fresh build.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

For info on setting them up it might be worth asking in the vintage speed forum, more eyes there.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Castroe wrote:
Iv come to aquire some p11s in a deal and could not decide if I wanted to rebuild them for a 1600. I haven’t be able to find info on there performance capabilities, mostly been able to find info on how expensive or hard to tune. So I think I will hold on to them till my cads need a fresh build.

PII's can handle up to just shy of 160 hp when set up right. They work much better on a little more displacement. Even the widely used 1720 cc in the 356 world is a great improvement for the carbs. 18-1900 cc even better. But they are still a pita to get to run well.
T
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
For info on setting them up it might be worth asking in the vintage speed forum, more eyes there.

Typed in solex and was able to find tons of useful info on the vintage speed forum. thanks
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

This is a weird question... of course a pair of 40PII's will perform better than a pair of Kadrons, they have double the airflow (probably more than double as the venturis are larger).

However, the 40PII's have a lot of drawbacks... Converting split shaft to solid is the best way to go, but it is really expensive. I could have had IDA's for the money that I had invested into mine.

They are also much more complicated than a pair of IDF's or DRLA's.

They also do not fit into a Beetle engine compartment very nicely. They are bulky and the accelerator pump rod is super long, I had to drill holes in my inner fenders for them to pass through.

Mine did make a glorious noise though, they didn't have that chirp that accompany Webers or Dells. And they drove very nicely. But for the average guy, they aren't worth the trouble.

Sell them to a 356/912 guy and buy a pair of Dells or Webers, don't look back.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

The last set of 40P11's were delivered on the 1969 Porsche 912, I don't know if Solex made any more after that. Back then parts were available and they were fairly easy to tune. BUT after all these years the return springs have worn the throttle shaft bores which in turn causes the blades to dig into the throttle bores. I haven't seen a decent 40P11 in 10 years. Theres a guy in Sedona Az. who remanufactures them for $1,600 a set.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
Theres a guy in Sedona Az. who remanufactures them for $1,600 a set.

Dayam! And I thought that $640.00 was a budget buster to rebuild a set of 40 DLRA's.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

Well then for another $1,000 you could have 40P11's Very Happy . The guy in Sedona has machinery set up to do the job. He bores the throttle shaft bores, rebushes them and supplies new shafts and throttle blades. He machines the throttle bores and fits new blades, so you probably wind up with 41P11's. when he's finished they are brand new including reanodizing. If your a numbers matching Porsche freak who usually dislikes outlaws, there's no other choice. I have 5 40P11 in a box if somebody wants a deal Wink .
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex carb battle 40 p11-4 vs kadrons 40/44 Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
Well then for another $1,000 you could have 40P11's Very Happy . The guy in Sedona has machinery set up to do the job. He bores the throttle shaft bores, rebushes them and supplies new shafts and throttle blades. He machines the throttle bores and fits new blades, so you probably wind up with 41P11's. when he's finished they are brand new including reanodizing. If your a numbers matching Porsche freak who usually dislikes outlaws, there's no other choice. I have 5 40P11 in a box if somebody wants a deal Wink .

He did my carbs. I chose to assemble them myself but he did all the work on the bodies. He even took me on a tour of his shop when I picked them up. Excellent top shelf craftsmanship.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: