Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Solex 32 PBIC on my 1952 engine. It looks like a kit, definitely not homemade. Does anybody know about it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It came with a 2 tips exhaust, could it be some old speed parts?

Thanks

Last edited by ngobet on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Even if the tips are not welded to the muffler in one of the both ways VW did it, it looks professionally done.
Is it a grease nipple on the bakelite between fuel pump and engine case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

yes grease nipple. clever
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

ngobet wrote:
yes grease nipple. clever

It is an interesting idea, but I would not do so. The pushrod for the pump is oiled by the normal engine oil during its run. Grease should only be in the foot of the pump, not in the bakelite distance piece. In this piece, there is a drain hole espacially for keeping the pushrod oiled. This drain hole is on the upper side of the bakelite piece (the part that sticks in the engine case), but not today in the aftermarket repros. So you have to drill it once before you put it in the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Hi,
Very interesting Very Happy
How do the cylinder heads and the manifold look? There was a single carb set made by Okrasa, but I never saw one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Hi,
Very interesting Very Happy
How do the cylinder heads and the manifold look? There was a single carb set made by Okrasa, but I never saw one...

I will check the heads, but the manifold looks original. honestly it seems that changing the heads only for that carb would be excessive.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Yes you're right, that would be too much work except they used the same heads as on dual carb engines and wanted to save one air filter and one carb.
Maybe an Okrasa expert can correct me, but as I'm informed, those single carb systems used a double carb on one manifold, this method is definitely common in the 70s.
Other idea: could it have been a industrial engine before, because there are various setups to increase or to reduce the power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fred Udog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

French market only Wink
I've same on my 51

Fred
ngobet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

vwisgood4you wrote:
French market only Wink
I've same on my 51

Fred

Do you know who made it? do you feel a difference when you drive?
Fred Udog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Not VW for sure ..

French SOLEX carb factory was near 1st VW garage in Paris so maybe some "test" in 1951 and maybe 1952
i drove with since 15 years but not really différence with Og 26 Wink
Do you find it in France ?

Mine :

Fred
Fred Udog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Equipment #146 from Solex :

Fred
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Fred Udog wrote:
Equipment #146 from Solex :

Fred

Just noticed I have the same part laying around... it came with one of my Okrasa engines.
Would you say it was made for VW or is that general part for Solex 32 carbs?
Too bad you mentioned that it doesn't bring any extra power.

Thanks,
Jan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Those solex 32 adapters are clever ..any one in the u.s have an extra one ..i never seen those. Would love to use it for my engine 🤞
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PBIC on 25hp 1952 engine Reply with quote

Hi,

just inspected my adaptor. I thought it was home made, but you can see it was made professionally.
Fits perfectly on a 25hp manifold with 26mm diameter flange hole.
I noticed, that the carb is also slightly different, especially the choke mechanism seems to be different.
The jetting is different, too. The venturi tube is pretty small.

So this part was made by Solex or could it be early Okrasa?
I remember Solex made the 26 VFIS carb with an acceleration pump in a small series. The most important improvement should be the acceleration pump, not the bigger diameter, at least I think so. So Solex also could have sold their improved carbs.

Can upload some pictures if anybody is interested?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: