Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flasher relay question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

The wiring diag for a 65 KG shows a 2pin flasher with the switch and the pilot lamp connected to the same pin. See J1 in the pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since the bulb is connected to ground,does this setup not cause the flasher to ground thru the pilot bulb and be flashing/clicking all the time (even if the lights themselves stay off)?

I have a 3 pin relay with +, switch, and lamp connections. And, the wiring works harness has 2 separate connectors for the blue wire to bulb and the black/white/green wire to switch. Still, I am not able to get the buld to flash with the lamps. I tried an LED first and thinking that was the problem, swapped out to a new regular bulb.

Thanks!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

Re-reading the diag, I think the pilot indicator gets 12V from the fuse and grounds thru the flasher.

Can I use a 3 pin flasher relay for this? Or do I need to find a special 12V version of the original 2-pin 6V relay?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

I suggest a simple duplication of wiring from a model having three terminal relay.
For example, the 61 to 65 USA model that uses a three terminal relay. A 12v unit would be an adequate substitute.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

Actually, I have the US version wiring (that's what I ordered).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And, I've wired it the same way. Is there a special VW flasher relay required or will a standard 3 pin flasher relay work. The common diagrams I've seen for 3 pin relays show ground thru the pilot light. But, that's not the case on the US version wiring either.

I'm using a standard 3 pin relay. It's possible it's defective, but wondering if I need something non-standard.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

You could search the classified advertisements here on the Samba

two pin 12v relays
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127601

three pin 12v relays
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2204821
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1656007
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1911896

Plenty of them out there.

K3, the blinker pilot light gets an earth from the relay and is backed by 12v (or 6v) from the ignition switch (terminal 15/54). The "shell" of the bulb gets 12V and the nipple gets the earth. If your relay does not provide an earth the pilot light won't work.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

sputnick60 nailed it.

The early 2-pin flasher relays ground through their housing - they mount to a bracket on the body and that is the ground connection for the relay.

The pilot bulb is wired to the same terminal as the flasher output. But the pilot bulb gets power all the time via the same source as the oil pressure light & gen. light.

The ground for the pilot bulb is that terminal S on the relay. So when the flasher is "on" and outputting 12v to the turn signal bulbs, the pilot bulb has 12v on both sides and does not light.

When the flasher is "off" and the turn signal bulbs are off, the relay gives ground to the pilot bulb and it lights.

The pilot bulb therefore flashes opposite to the exterior bulbs, i.e. the pilot is lit when the exterior bulbs are dark and vice versa.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay question Reply with quote

Yes, I had come to that conclusion after studying the diag some more. The flaps relay I have work -- does not have a dedicated ground and is plastic shell - so grounds thru switch/lamps. I plan to try Y-ing the pilot light to the switch.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: