Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any idea what size tires are on this car?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

I am in need of replacing the tires on my new to me 1960 vw beetle. Stock height now but plan on lowering somewhat in the future. Tires are about 30 plus years old, tread is like new but tires are dry rotted/cracked . Wheels are chrome stock look but wider.
Currently the car has 165/80r15 rear and 155/80r15 front.
Considering 205/70/15 rear 165/80r15 front white walls?
Any ideas what are on this car in the picture?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

I have no idea about tire size on that there bug but it seems to have a narrowed beam. Something to keep in mind when looking at pictures of bugs for ideas.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

If you are planning on lowering the vehicle, 165/80’s are a poor choice for the front. As I mentioned in another thread, you need to look through the lowering thread and get some ideas of how low you plan on going, which will dictate what components you will need to use to properly lower it and in turn what tires will work best. One thing leads to another.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143094
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
If you are planning on lowering the vehicle, 165/80’s are a poor choice for the front. As I mentioned in another thread, you need to look through the lowering thread and get some ideas of how low you plan on going, which will dictate what components you will need to use to properly lower it and in turn what tires will work best. One thing leads to another.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143094

I did find that one thing leads to another, I have read over many threads and looked over many pics. For now I have replaced the 30 plus year old rear tires with 205/65/15 tires which was very close to the 165. As far as the front I am planning on lowering 2-4 inches and using a 145 or possibly a little wider tire but same height.
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

How do you plan on lowering it? 4” drop using just a beam will ride a bit harsh. If you’re doing dropped spindles, they max at 2.5” and it adds width so you may still rub even with 145’s. If you combine a beam and spindles get a narrower beam. 2” usually will work and allows you to run wider lower profile tires. If you want a lot lower get a 4” narrowed beam. If you’re going to try and keep the rims you have you will need most likely a 4” narrowed beam to avoid rubbing. Best thing to do is find a pic of a car that sits how you want and either ask the owner or post it up and ask if anyone has an idea. A lot of people can give you an idea of what you need to get the look you’re after.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any idea what size tires are on this car? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about tires on a coming soon to me 1960 VW beetle, The ones on it look like original 5:50's. It's not been lowered it's very original, I was also thinking of running larger tires in the rear with maybe 165X15's I like Michelin however they don't show 165's .
The thing about a bug is it's nice around town with stock size tires but does better on the highway with larger tires. They don't stop as well though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: