Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Footwell Heating System
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

The rear footwell heating system in my ‘64 coupe is obviously missing some parts. The metal tubes under the rear seat bench are there, and the oulet holes in the kick panel are there, however, whatever connects the metal tubes to the holes with whatever type of open/close valve is missing.

Can someone please provide details, pictures, etc. of the missing parts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

This is from my '66 which has mostly the same set up.

If you look inside you can see the flap that clips to the centre pin.

Under the back seat there is a small tube entering the tunnel that leads a bowden wire to the emergency brake. I have better photos .. but can't find them right now.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
This is from my '66 which has mostly the same set up.

If you look inside you can see the flap that clips to the centre pin.

Under the back seat there is a small tube entering the tunnel that leads a bowden wire to the emergency brake. I have better photos .. but can't find them right now.

Nicholas

Thanks! I believe the outlet in your picture is probably the same outlet my car should have. I just checked, and the sheet metal has two small holes on either side of the large outlet hole...likely there to accommodate the two screws holding the outlet in place as in your picture.

Wondering if the flap is manually opened/closed, or is it done remotely by cable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

Via cables... controls located by your e-/parking brake handle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

This photo was recently posted here, and it shows another view that may help you.
c705ncp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

I have a 73 Ghia and have blanked the rear heater outlets off. What a difference it make to heat coming through to footwell and screen.
Robert
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
This photo was recently posted here, and it shows another view that may help you.

My car definitely does not have what looks in this picture to be a bowden tube with a cable going into it.

And, it looks like there is a second tube slip fitted inside the lip of the main underseat steel tube.

Last edited by FL-Frank on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

I don't have any great pics of the area on hand but here's one from my '70 (may it rest in pieces)

it looks like the cable housing design remained largely the same throughout the 60s+ although I know the Y heat exchanges changed design.

I just picked up a pre-70 donor that actually has an extra rear cross member with the bowden tubes, I can snap some pics later. If you need the parts, send me a PM and we can work something out.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

c705ncp wrote:
I have a 73 Ghia and have blanked the rear heater outlets off. What a difference it make to heat coming through to footwell and screen.
Robert

Your controls and vent openings are different in '73. The 60's cars have one heat lever to turn heat on (open the flapper valves on the heat exchangers), and one lever to open the rear footwell vents. With the small front footwell vents that 60's cars have, being able to open the rear footwell vents allows a massive amount of MORE heat into the car. They are essential for the older cars if you want to stay warm.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

If it helps here are pics of both sides from my old '67

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

Found these on here...guess I can start with these Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2142669

Looks like I also need to find the short pipes that slip fit onto the main pipe under the seat. It appears this short pipe (guesstimating about 3” in length) has a flapper mechanism inside of it that opens and closes, correct? Anyone know what this short pipe/flapper assembly is called? And would the same pipe/flapper assembly have been used on bugs from the early to mid 60’s?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
...It appears this short pipe (guesstimating about 3” in length) has a flapper mechanism inside of it that opens and closes, correct? Anyone know what this short pipe/flapper assembly is called? And would the same pipe/flapper assembly have been used on bugs from the early to mid 60’s?
My '66 Beetle has a very similar setup: flapper valves ganged to the control lever beside the emergency brake lever using solid wire cables running through metal bowden tubes. The key differences are that the partition under the front edge of the '66 Beetle rear seat bottom is fiberboard, the bowden tubes are welded to the pan, and the outlet collars are plastic. Also, the bowden tubes on the '66 Beetle are straighter than those on my '71 Ghia. Just eyeballing it I'd say these parts from a Beetle should be readily adaptable to your Ghia with some minor adjustments.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Footwell Heating System Reply with quote

On my '73, the short vertical pipes are welded in. The flappers have a spring clip for lack of a better word, they snap onto the vertical.
I'll try to find them in my parts bag tonight and take a picture.
d
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: