Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

The sliding door on our Westy isn't flush or square to the body.

Moving the striker pin hasn't brought the back of the door back to flush or lifted the back of the door into alignment. Moving the hinge assembly doesn't seem to get the job done, either.

I replaced the front and back rollers. That's quieted the down the motion on the track. I have the Delrin(?) grooved wheel in the back. That's been a big help in quieting down the sound of the door opening and closing. But pulling the hinge assembly and putting it back in has, of course, left the door out of alignment.

The GW video on replacing the hinge doesn't include re-aligning the door. Bentley isn't clear on the alignment process, either. I need input on how to get the door back where it should be.
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

How I did it was the following procedure-

I measured the difference in height at the body lines on the front and back of the doors, then marked the positions of the bolts holding on the rear and bottom roller bits.

I put a floor jack under each the front and back of the door with 2x4s on them to protect the door. jack them to the point where they're supporting the door, but not pushing on it hard. then, I loosened the lower roller, and lifted it the amount indicated in my first measurements. repeat on the rear roller assembly. tighten everything back down, of course.

then, you'll need to move the striker proportionally, and depending on how far out it is, you'll also maybe need to move the bits on the front part of the door too.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks! I like that procedure!
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

I got all of the "creases" into line. Sight along them and it's a straight line on any line going through the door. But...

The door appears to be rotated counterclockwise. The gap between the doors varies by about 1/8". At the front of the door, the gap's widest at the top. At the back of the door, the bottom is wider. If I get the gaps aligned, the back end of the door will be high, and the front will be low. Or I can raise one end of the door to get the creases aligned at that end. But they won't be aligned at the other end. I can't imagine VW send this Westy out the door like this, but darned if I can figure out what's going on.

Thoughts about what's going on and how to fix it?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

The door hasn't healed itself and gone back to properly spaced seams. Thinking there might be some clue as to a fix, I googled on Westy images. The sliding doors have, of course, parallel seams. A couple of Westys may have a break in the creases, but most don't. I don't think the body and frame are so warped to make it impossible to get the creases and seams right.

I'm struggling for ideas to get things right.
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
The door hasn't healed itself and gone back to properly spaced seams. Thinking there might be some clue as to a fix, I googled on Westy images. The sliding doors have, of course, parallel seams. A couple of Westys may have a break in the creases, but most don't. I don't think the body and frame are so warped to make it impossible to get the creases and seams right.

I'm struggling for ideas to get things right.

Did you get anywhere on this? I have a similar problem, any phots would be legit. I also have to pull the back of my slider out to open it now.

Thanks

Karl

Submariner
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust sliding door - '90 Westy Reply with quote

Yep. I ran a "want to buy" ad, someone had a latch, and all's well. The part of the rests on the pin on the door frame was worn, making adjustment impossible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: