Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorola alternator not charging battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

I have a 1971 Super Beetle convertible. The previous owner put a Motorola alternator in this car. It's the kind that has external regulator. The battery is not getting a charge from the alternator. I checked wiring and it's wired exactly as the diagram I'm posting shows. The charging system light is not coming on with key in the On position. I have tried new bulb, new wire, new socket, and checked fuses, and all still no light. Is it possible that a bad regulator is causing this issue? I have checked everything and no luck. On a positive note, what I thought to be a broken Sapphire radio was just an unplugged connection. Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paranoid56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

check the voltages at each point and figure out where the bad part is.
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

paranoid56 wrote:
check the voltages at each point and figure out where the bad part is.

Is it possible a bad voltage regulator would cause light not to illuminate in the On position?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Maybe maybe-not!

I've got a Motorola Alternator in my 71 Bus. It's kind of a weird thing to have but it has worked well for me and I have rebuilt a couple of them for spare parts etc..No body want's them!
But Yeah, Sounds like the 61 wire is not connected or the lamp socket in the speedometer is bad or something. Got to have that light to start it charging. Check that there are 12 volts to the Alt/Gen Indicator lamp ring contact on the back of the speedometer when the key is on. (Engine not running for this test.) The tip of the socket goes to the 61 wire and that goes to the D+ on the alternator as well as the Voltage Regulator, I use a cheap aftermarket voltage regulator on mine.
This one should work: 1974 VW Beetle Alternator Regulator.

Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Maybe maybe-not!

I've got a Motorola Alternator in my 71 Bus. It's kind of a weird thing to have but it has worked well for me and I have rebuilt a couple of them for spare parts etc..No body want's them!
But Yeah, Sounds like the 61 wire is not connected or the lamp socket in the speedometer is bad or something. Got to have that light to start it charging. Check that there are 12 volts to the Alt/Gen Indicator lamp ring contact on the back of the speedometer when the key is on. (Engine not running for this test.) The tip of the socket goes to the 61 wire and that goes to the D+ on the alternator as well as the Voltage Regulator, I use a cheap aftermarket voltage regulator on mine.
This one should work: 1974 VW Beetle Alternator Regulator.

Thank you for the additional information. Currently, I have the 4-wire voltage regulator. I see the link here is for the 3 wire. My blue wire is not used in the 4 wire voltage regulator, so I am assuming the 3 wire will do the same job?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Currently, I have the 4-wire voltage regulator. I see the link here is for the 3 wire. My blue wire is not used in the 4 wire voltage regulator, so I am assuming the 3 wire will do the same job?

Some of the external VRs had a 3-prong connector, others had a 4-prong... but the alternator only ever used 3 of the wires to the VR. So if on the VR side there were 4 wires, the 4th one (usually blue) was not used. From what I understand this was a dedicated GEN indicator light wire.

A key point with the alternators in Beetles is that the field coil (which controls the charging rate of the alternator) must receive a "tickle charge" so it can begin charging. This comes from the GEN lamp. When the GEN lamp turns ON just before you start the engine it indicates there is current flowing thru the field coil circuit (DF) and then to ground. If the GEN lamp does not light up (loose wire or burn out bulb) the alternator will not start charging. Once the alternator DOES start charging it provides a constant 12v to the DF via the D+. This is WHY the blue #61 wire and the red D+ wire are joined at the VR connector.
It is this 12v coming from the alternator on the red D+ that actually turns the GEN lamp OFF.

What you need to check is if 12v+ from the fuse box is making it THRU the GEN lamp and all the way to the VR.
Disconnect the plug at the VR and at the alternator. With a voltmeter test the voltage at the blue #61 wire at the VR connector, while the ignition is ON. You should get a 12v reading. If you ground this end of the blue #61 wire it should cause the GEN lamp turn light up. If these tests fail it means current is not passing thru the GEN lamp. As mentioned, current flowing thru the GEN lamp is what energizes the field coil and gets the alternator charging.

If you ARE getting 12v at the end of the blue #61 wire then it is likely a problem with the VR or the alternator. Here is a set of tests that can be used on the externally regulated alternators to confirm if the VR is working. See the bottom half where it talks about troubleshooting. The 914 and the externally regulated Beetles with alternators have the same charging system.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_alte...eshoot.htm
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

I had a Motorola internal reg. alt. that when it quit charging there was 1 brush under the 3 screws to the piece that the wire connectors are on the alt.. I replaced that and all was well. Seems like a 12v test lamp to replace the speedo light for testing would work to see if your speedo lamp socket/ground is bad.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

This RockAuto external E695 looks like the voltage regulator that I installed on my 1971 bus with the Motorola Alternator above but mine was a "Standard Motor Products" I think? But 695 rings a bell. RockAuto, Mine just had 3 wires that I matched up color to color with the Original Motorola Connector that I was lucky enough to have. But If the Blue wire on a 4 prong regulator is the lamp wire then it would be cool to wire it up, I had to make a splice into the D+ wire to wire the 3 prong regulator.
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for help. Tested gen light circuit and it's working as it should. Checked D+ terminal and sure enough between 3.5-5 volts was coming through. My understanding is the internal circuitry is messed up as less than 1 volt should be coming through. Looks like I'll be converting to a new alternator, built-in regulator.

Anybody think I could sell the old voltage regulator? What about the generator itself? I'm sure someone could want to rebuild it. I don't want to just throw the parts away.

Thanks again!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Sgt Pepper wrote:
The charging system light is not coming on with key in the On position. I have tried new bulb, new wire, new socket, and checked fuses, and all still no light.

Did the light start working? Where is your voltage regulator mounted?

Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
The charging system light is not coming on with key in the On position. I have tried new bulb, new wire, new socket, and checked fuses, and all still no light.

The light did start working when blue wire was grounded. My voltage regulator is mounted under the backseat, just like a generator one would be.
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

I'd like to credit ashman40 with the information I found in an old post. I wanted to copy and paste it here in case somebody else has this issue in the future. Here is what ashman40 wrote:

For future reference, here are some tests to verify the alt/gen lamp circuit are working. These tests start from the front of the car and move towards the rear.
1) Test for 12v on the black (or green) wire that connects to the bottom most terminal of the speedo. This is the common connection that provides 12v+ to the three indicator lamp bulb holders at the bottom of the speedo. With the ignition ON, disconnect the black wire and test the end of the wire for 12v+. If there is no voltage on this wire, check the fuse at the other end of the wire. Early Beetles did not protect this circuit with a fuse.

2) Test the bulb holder socket of the speedo. Reconnect the wire to the bottom of the speedo. Remove the Gen lamp + bulb holder from the speedo socket, With the ignition ON, test the inside of the three bulb socket at the bottom of the speedo for 12v+.

3) Test the bulb holder. Put the bulb and bulb holder back into the socket of the speedo. With the ignition ON, run a jumper wire between the male terminal on the end of the Gen lamp bulb holder and a good ground. This should cause the Gen lamp to turn ON.

4) Test the Gen lamp circuit. Reconnect the blue wire to the Gen lamp bulb holder. Go to the rear of the car where the other end of this wire is located. If you have a gen with external regulator the blue wire ends at the #61 terminal on the VR. If you have and alternator, the blue wire ends at the D+ terminal on the alternator body. Disconnect the blue wire and with the ignition ON, touch the end of the wire to ground. The Gen light should turn ON.

5) Test the voltage at the D+ alternator terminal. With the ignition OFF, remove the blue wire from the D+ terminal of the alternator. Place your voltmeter probe on the D+ terminal of the alternator. Test this terminal for voltage. If you find a small voltage (<1v) you are okay. If you find any higher level of voltage on this terminal it usually indicates the alternator internal diodes have failed and current coming into the B+ terminal is leaking out the D+. The alternator will need to be replaced/rebuilt.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Did you run all the tests suggested on the Pelican Parts link for 914 alternators? What were your results? Any voltage readings should be done with the engine running at least 2100rpms.

From the link I posted above:
Pelican Parts wrote:
To trouble-shoot the problem, you need to check the various sections independently. Thus the first check: Connect +12 volts from the battery to the DF terminal on the relay board. This is the maximum field current situation, and should result in maximum output of the alternator. Note that this checks the B+ diodes, the alternator windings, and the common diodes. It does NOT check the D+ diodes.

To check the D+ portion of the system, it is necessary to find out if the D+ output can produce enough current to drive the alternator to full output. To do this, short the D+ and DF terminals on the relay board. This will provide the maximum field current to the alternator that the alternator ITSELF can supply (not the battery, as in the earlier check) and so checks the remainder of the circuitry. If this test puts the light out, then the alternator is good, and the trouble is elsewhere. If it doesn't, then the alternator is almost certainly bad, with one other possibility:

In the Bosch system, the size of the charge warning lamp bulb is critical. Too low a wattage bulb will not supply enough field current for "bootstrap" operation to be reliable. The Bosch book that I have states that the lamps must be at least 2 watts for 12 volt systems. If you have replaced your charge warning lamp recently, then too small a lamp may be your culprit.

Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Did you run all the tests suggested on the Pelican Parts link for 914 alternators? What were your results? Any voltage readings should be done with the engine running at least 2100rpms.

From the link I posted above:
Pelican Parts wrote:
To trouble-shoot the problem, you need to check the various sections independently. Thus the first check: Connect +12 volts from the battery to the DF terminal on the relay board. This is the maximum field current situation, and should result in maximum output of the alternator. Note that this checks the B+ diodes, the alternator windings, and the common diodes. It does NOT check the D+ diodes.

To check the D+ portion of the system, it is necessary to find out if the D+ output can produce enough current to drive the alternator to full output. To do this, short the D+ and DF terminals on the relay board. This will provide the maximum field current to the alternator that the alternator ITSELF can supply (not the battery, as in the earlier check) and so checks the remainder of the circuitry. If this test puts the light out, then the alternator is good, and the trouble is elsewhere. If it doesn't, then the alternator is almost certainly bad, with one other possibility:

In the Bosch system, the size of the charge warning lamp bulb is critical. Too low a wattage bulb will not supply enough field current for "bootstrap" operation to be reliable. The Bosch book that I have states that the lamps must be at least 2 watts for 12 volt systems. If you have replaced your charge warning lamp recently, then too small a lamp may be your culprit.

I have not tried the 914 tests but that was mainly because my generator light was not coming on to begin with. To be honest, I have a lot more knowledge when it comes to nuts and bolts than wires and circuits, so I was a little intimidated by that test as well.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Checked D+ terminal and sure enough between 3.5-5 volts was coming through. My understanding is the internal circuitry is messed up as less than 1 volt should be coming through. Looks like I'll be converting to a new alternator, built-in regulator.

Sorry, missed this update. If after disconnecting all the wires you are getting more than 1.0v at the D+ terminal on the alternator then the internal diodes are shorting out. Time to look for a new alternator or have that one rebuilt. If you have a local shop that works on alternators and has a good rep it is probably a better bet than buying a rebuilt one from the FLAPS. It might cost you a bit more but they will probably do a better job than ones built from Chinese parts. If it was most other cars it would be no problem to take back a bad (DOA) alternator and get a replacement. But on Beetles, replacing the alternator can take hours.
If you do go with a unit from the FLAPS, have them test it before you leave the shop. You don't want to go thru the whole process of installing it only to find it was bad.
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

One last question. Is the pedestal for this externally regulated Motorola alternator the same as the one for a Bosch AL82? I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Yes, they are the same. Give you 10 dollars for your (Motorola Alternator and connector and external voltage reg.).. Maybe give you $30 if it turns out to be a good one.
Sgt Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yes, they are the same. Give you 10 dollars for your (Motorola Alternator and connector and external voltage reg.).. Maybe give you $30 if it turns out to be a good one.

I will send you a PM when I remove it and install the new one. I am anticipating it will be within the next month. I am also currently working on some vintage motorcycles, so the bug has taken backseat at the moment.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Yes, No hurry, Glad the new alternator fixed it for you, good call!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola alternator not charging battery Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:

A bit unrelated, but I had to comment on this picture. Those chrome fuel pressure "regulators" are complete Chinese garbage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: