Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me)
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

New to me anyway. In the past I have used shaped foam as plugs to create mold, sometimes plastic parts as well to create a mold.

I thought I would try it a new way that may even save me some time during the process. Manual labor time at least.

So I want to make a smaller version of these to fit in my buggy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I 3D modeled the new smaller sized pods, This is one of them. The dashed lines so where the speaker and cup holder will be. I did the model work in Solidworks.

With the models I created more models of the mold I want to make. The teal colored part is one of the molds.

Then I took the newly created mold model and printed it on my 3D printer. A right and left side. Using PLA material with a fairly high layer height. I wasn't worried about fine detail yet.

Here is one of the finished mold on the printer table.

Here I am covering the printed molds with high build primer so I can smooth them all over the outside. That will be the finished inside of my fiberglass part when I pop it off the mold.

That's as far as I got so far. I'll post more pictures when I have the molds smoothed out. And pictures of the molding process, and final finished parts.

It looks like this will work this way, only time will tell. If it does it will stream line mold making for me for sure.

FYI the pods will be around 12" long by 7-1/2 high at the edge of the flange.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

Seems to me you could have just 3D printed pods and moved on, seems like a lot of extra step(s) to now make molds and then have to layup pods in glass and do grills and cutouts...

Or am I missing something here?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Seems to me you could have just 3D printed pods and moved on, seems like a extra step(s) to now make molds and then have to layup pods in glass...

Or am I missing something here?

Dale

Yeah I could have just printed them and called it finished. 2 reasons why I went this way.

1. The plastics don't hold up well long term with UV exposure, and heat/cool cycles. There are a few plastics that do work better and I can print with them but I wanted to see how this process would work for creating molds. It's a learning exercise for me.

2. With molds I can make more pods quickly instead of the long printing process to produce each part. Large parts take many hours to print. In the draft condition I printed these parts in it still took 12 hrs per mold. Of course it is unattended printing time.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

are these for buggies with sidepods?.is there other places to put them without cutting into side of buggy?.i would like something like this but am not going with sidepods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

Sorry, yeah these will on my car inside the pods. Not sure where you could fit some without pods to hid them.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

I need to make or find some kind of center console that fits.Dale any ideas?.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:

Mock up something in cardboard, and then transfer it to plywood or fiberglass or metal....

Only consol I have seen in a buggy was extension from dash down to tunnel and did not really pay a whole lot of attention on how it was accomplished..

Found this, but in my mind its more for sandrail style buggy...

https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-16-3052-aluminum-b...oles-tall/

Found these through GOOGLE Image Search...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/532058143454117780/?lp=true

Sorry not to be of more help...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:

Try looking here at Len's ride.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426093&start=300
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

Cardboard mock-up is the right idea. Idea
Much easier to re-shape when that "cool" design you come up with doesn't allow your right knee to fit with foot on the accelerator!

Luan plywood is a nice material to work with for final product - ALA you want flat surfaces. It's light, cuts easily with a razor knife, sands well, nice and flat. Cover with 1/8" foam and some vinyl and give it a nice professional look.
Jeff
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Molding Speaker pods a new way (for me) Reply with quote

When using cardboard you do not have to make it all in one piece, Work with smaller sizes and until you get the shape you want and then tape them together. Once you have the layout transfer it to a one piece of cardboard and see if it will work. Tape it all together.
One thing to keep in mind is how to get it in the car one it is made. I hade made a couple designs until I found one that worked for me. I had to make it in two pieces to fit. Make sure your seats are in, made that mistake and had to re-due it.

Good luck
Len
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: