Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse lights do not work
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Hi folks. Couple of questions about the reverse lights. I do not think mine have ever worked since I bought my car 12 years ago, I’ve never really dug into the problem. First thing I need to check is if they are working or not (I don’t think so, but I’m sitting in the car when they should be on, so I don’t know🙄) I’m assuming the switch only gets current if the key is turned to accessory or on, correct? That’s the first thing I’m check later.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next I know from reading the 100 post here that this is a pretty common problem? Why? If I understand the black wire runs off the harness and then I’ll seee a black fuse holder on my shroud that has a connector going to the coil. I have that. Then the wire runs out the passenger side tar board up to the switch on the nose come. (Is this visible from underneath the car? (The wires) I don’t ever remember seeing a wire near the transmission, where is it routed?) Then from the other switch a black wire runs back the same path and connects to a “splitter” where a single wire goes to each reverse light. Are these wires visible either? Or are they buried back there? I pretty much know what should be there, but not sure where I need to look for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

If you have not checked whether your vehicles lights are working or not in the past twelve years then I would recommend you surrender your drivers license for the lack of being a responsible driver.

Now, to check them put the vehicle in reverse, turn ignition switch to the on position but do not start the vehicle, get out walk around to the rear the reverse lights will either be on or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Lol. They don’t work. I’m joking.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

It is a simple circuit, power from the positive side of coil when ignition on, power to BU switch, when in reverse switch closes, power to lights. Power wire to switch accessible but from switch to lights once inside the engine compartment that wire vanishes behind the tar board.

Verify the fuse from the coil to the switch is still good. Easy test is pull the wires off the switch, join them together, turn ignition on if the lights work then it is the switch, if not check the bulbs, you can test if power is getting to the bulb socket, verify ground at the socket.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Yes, turn ignition on, put gearshift fully into reverse. If lights are not on, start with basics like checking for voltage at both sides of the inline fuse, and pull the tail light lenses and check the bulb sockets too, with your voltmeter or DC test light.

Folks over the years have screwed up on the connections of the reverse light wiring during engine R&Rs.

Go under the VW, find the reverse switch, see if it has wires, and trace them rearward if they are there. This is a very simple set-up, the reverse switch is simply a continuitity switch, activated when the gearbox pushes the nub on the switch "in" to "close" the circuit. In other words, can be tested in place with ohmmeter function or voltmeter/test light.

If you need to, you can always run new wires forward to the backup light switch and then rearwad to connector.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Not sure if you have a 12v test light or Volt Ohm Meter =VOM. It is so easy to figure out.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

I have a test lamp. I can see the wires going through the passenger side firewall through the hole. I can see the wire coming back also to the splitter. I can’t seem to see it on the trans. Need to crawl under more.....
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

All the way to the front of the trans, switch scews into the nose cone.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Are the wires visible from underneath the car? Or do the wires run on top of the trans? How do you open the fuse holder?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Wires to switch are visible from underneath.

Assuming your fuse holder is the 'VW style ceramic style' like this one seen above the carb in this pic, you should be able to 'unscrew' the holder apart to access the fuse.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

My fuse holder is from a FLAPS & I have to push both sides together and then a small twist to pull apart .

As a long time bachelor ( found someone silly enuff to marry my monkey butt 4 yrs ago ) I have checked my lights monthly for decades by backing up to an empty strip mall. Easy peasy to look in rearview mirror as the lights are reflected off the glass front of the business. Dark-thirty works best.

Hope this helps ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Connie74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Hey, Almost...
Are you sure that the switch that faces to the back is the backup switch? If so, then what the heck is that other one (circled in the diagram) for? I agree, "???".
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Connie74 wrote:
Hey, Almost...
Are you sure that the switch that faces to the back is the backup switch? If so, then what the heck is that other one (circled in the diagram) for? I agree, "???".

Yes, his picture is correct. The reverse/backup light switch is as he has identified it. I just re-wired mine on my 1970 and had it out of the transmission about July.

That switch is a simple continuity switch, activated by movement inside the transmission causing the switch to "close" (complete the circuit) when in reverse. This can be checked in place using a multimeter in the ohms mode, wires disconnected.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Connie74 wrote:
Hey, Almost...

seat belt warning light in later models
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

For clarity....

The VW (ceramic - GBC) fuse holder looks like this:

The wire wraps around the right side of the fan shroud and passes thru the hole in the firewall tin. In this pic from the right side of the engine compartment you can see the sleeved pair of wires passing thru the hole in the tin. The Y-connector in the pic is the return wire splitting into two (L & R).

The two wires dive into the tar paper and run to either taillight where it connects to the blue wire for the reverse lights.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Ok this is the most recent thread on this subject, so I'm hoping for some help as I try and get these '73 Thing BU lights to work.

This is a non-stock set up. I have a double red, gemelli pasta-looking wire that has an inline fuse on one strand. The other strand is fairly permanently attached to the Left taillight 4-way connector. The other end of both of those strands are tight together as if they both attached to the BU light switch. They weren't hooked up at that end when I pulled the engine 2 months ago, in fact there were no wires anywhere near the BU switch and it looked it hadn't had anything hooked up to it for a long time.

One question I have is, does it matter which wire goes where on the BU switch?

Another is, with this setup, is the wire that comes out of the harness near the passenger side with the male spade on it moot? There was no square plastic thingy on it. It looks like it heads toward the front, but doesn't actually go to the taillight housing? Or does it originally go to the switch?

Thanks
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:

One question I have is, does it matter which wire goes where on the BU switch?

No.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Just run new wires forward to the reverse light switch; that's just a contact switch, actuated when put into reverse. The in-line fuse there is a MUST !
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights do not work Reply with quote

Thanks!

Quote:
Easy test is pull the wires off the switch, join them together, turn ignition on if the lights work then it is the switch

It turns out the switch is bad. I'm going to wire up something manually activated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: