Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty Reply with quote

I took off the lid today to look for a small oil leak and my attention was diverted when I saw this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I eventually traced the problem to this:

It appears a wire from the PS switch fell off and shorted on the intake. I do recall a week ago a belt started screeching louder than normal after an awkward left turn, I smelled an electrical burning smell and saw smoke but just figured it was the belt which made the smell. It was one of those times I knew I should be inspecting the issue ASAP but was in a hurry.

The "good news" is there are no apparent symptoms to this problem yet, the van has been going fine.

How far does that wire run and how much could be burnt? I'm tempted to just replace the whole engine harness with a good used unit but I'm hoping that's excessive.

Make sure the wires to your PS switch are tight, I was aware that one was loose for years but didn't think it could cause an issue if it became disconnected.

-Rob[/img]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty Reply with quote

It's not an uncommon issue. Good luck with the repair.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty Reply with quote

Ugh... BTDT...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

You won't know the extent of the damage until you get in there & have a look.
Yours looks worse than mine, so replacing the entire harness would be a great
option if you know you have a good replacement. I chose to repair mine in
place due to (a) my budget... Embarassed ...and... (b) the multiple wiring changes
in the 86 model year making it challenging to find a plug & play replacement.

Please note the recommendation to (A) add a fuse [7-10a] FI power from the
B+ post in the firewall junction box, and... (B) replace the PS idle boost switch
connectors with INSULATED terminals...PLEASE!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty Reply with quote

yes... for some reasons the PS switch connectors are scary close to the intake manifold... don't ask me how I know since 2 of my vans escaped fire..

for future reference:

- double heat shrink those 2 connectors.

- loosen the big PS hose bolt and turn the switch away from the intake manifold as much as you can.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorted PS switch wire, not pretty Reply with quote

This is a 1990 made in Graz model. Are later model wiring harnesses pretty standard?

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: