Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle "Refresh"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle "Refresh" Reply with quote

A quick background on my journey to buying a Beetle. I was an apprentice at the VW Automotive plant here in Chattanooga, TN. We build the Atlas and Passat currently. On my first day of class, I walked through the doors and saw some incredible cars. Beetles, Squarebacks and Buses from all different years (the 8th Beetle ever produced "KDF Wagen"), along with a beautiful 21 window bay bus. I was immediately hooked and had to have one. I had no prior knowledge (WHAT IS A SUPER BEETLE), but I was diving in. An old man down the road was selling a project for his wife because she could not drive a manual. Advertised as "1970 VW Beetle". I drove by it everyday on the way home for a month before giving him a call. The following Monday, I had the title. I remember him mentioning that while it is a 1970, he has been ordering '71 parts to fit the car. Hmmm, whatever.

Turns out Beetles don't have springs in the front and a spare tire wheel well.

Looks like I've got a flat windshield Super Beetle. WELL THEN.

Anyway, I have owned it for four months now. With the help of everyone on The Samba, I am learning and trying to do it the right way the first time.

I had a thread before, but I would like to start an official build thread for the sake of a timeline.

Previous owner had it painted Porsche Guards Red. I like it personally.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From what I can see, no signs of death foam. The car was bought previously from out Southwest and driven over here.

The next post will be my journey through the engine rebuild, and all of my lessons learned thanks to you guys. Here was the day I bought it, and had no idea just how close I was to an engine fire (See fuel lines).

I have a Haynes, Bentley and Muir book. I'll still get caught asking stupid questions. I appreciate sarcasm and don't mind being reminded that I am an amateur.

This will be as close to stock as possible. I am a firm believer that the engineers who design automobiles do it for a reason.

It will not be a show car. It's a ten foot paint job and the numbers don't match on it. It stays under a car cover to keep it from the elements, but once it is running I will drive it everywhere. This car was meant to be driven.

Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by Deebs on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Wow, what an outstanding starting point for a project. Quite honestly, you don't have far to go to be factory perfect.

Normally I always recommend urethane bushings for the entire front end, however, if it's important for you to have it as factory as possible, rubber bushings are available (Topline sells black urethane impregnated with graphite that LOOK like rubber) but understand you'll need to replace them more frequently.

Good luck
JohnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Get Topline’s urethane bushings. They last much longer and are superior to the original rubber.

I like to keep my car as original as possible., but sometimes you need to get the better stuff.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

In my previous thread, I reached out to you guys after learning how important engine seals were in an air-cooled engine. I posted a picture of my engine bay, and AlmostHeavenWV_VW went out of his way to point out (in great detail) all of my standing issues, along with other longtime Samba members.

I wonder just how long this car went without seals (or front engine tin).

This is why I am thankful for finding this website. This would have been a fire.

After coming to terms that I knew close to nothing about these engines, I gathered myself and put together a list (based on recommendations).
1. Engine seals all around
2. Front engine tin
3. Brosol fuel pump
4. New braided fuel line

This would greatly increase my safety and the overall health of the engine.

My next order of business was removing the engine. If anyone is in the market for the proper jack for the job, I had huge success with this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-st...61282.html
The reason I chose this one was its ability to maintain a low profile while providing an overall high lift height. If you don't have an engine dolly, you can use a creeper if you have one already. Get the engine on the ground, and swap it onto the creeper. This allows it to be as low to the ground as possible while using your jack to jack up one side of the car to slide it out.

My first project was the fuel pump. I can handle this. You can see just how cracked the fuel lines were.

Time to pull the flange out. Sh*t.

This was when I opened up the can of worms. I disassembled the top of the engine to fit a 7/16" tap onto the broken flange. Success! New fuel pump on, feeling accomplished.

While the engine was out I noticed a significant amount of oil on the bottom side.

With the help of you guys, I learned these spring loaded pushrod tubes are for the most part garbage. With new Wolfsburg West tubes in hand, I loosened the cylinder heads to install the new tubes.

Yikes, that looks gross.

After loosening all eight nuts in correct order per the Bentley manual, I pulled the heads to separate from the cylinders. The cylinders separated from the engine case. I became curious, and long story short I pulled all four cylinders to reveal this.

I had a broken top compression ring on my No.4 piston. Dang.
Being ignorant, I ordered a new set of new piston rings. They were quickly returned when a few of you guys (Cusser specifically) told me that if the top end looks that bad, the bottom end most likely matches.

A man two hours away in Georgia rebuilds engines, and posted a long block for $650. A plus was that it was the same engine code for my year (AE). I drove down, heard it run for a few minutes, and felt confident. Maybe it was a leap of faith. (Wish I had pictures of the day I bought the block, sorry.)

I do know for a fact that after he called me two weeks later, he told me that my old engine I gave to him as a core had a half inch of Permatex in the bottom of the case and that he had never seen anything like that in 40 years.

I immediately felt relieved.

With the rebuilt case came new fuel lines. 5mm and 12mm ID braided fuel hoses from Belmetric along with normadrive slotted screw clamps.

The next order of business was getting the engine seals put in. I will vouch also for not trying to slide them. Soapy water and a masking taped screwdriver will be your best bet. I also removed the old cracked tarboard revealing the original paint! I believe it is Marina Blue if anyone can confirm that?

New seals in, I will be painting black over the blue. Unless I can find a way to get the color code for Guards Red. Birthday is the 19th, and I asked my wife for Chris Vallone tarboards Rolling Eyes

For what it's worth, here's a picture of my poor engine sitting in the garage, waiting to breathe new life. Missing is the Bosch AL-82 alternator, Bocar 34-3 carburetor, 3&4 tin and mostly everything else.

Until next time!

Last edited by Deebs on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

That looks more like Sapphire Blue. Marina Blue is a light blue.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

H2OSB thank you! I am taking a welding class at my college now, but am far more superior in mechanics than body. I feel more comfortable following procedures and proper torques than grinding and sanding. l told myself I would spend the extra money on a solid body, and work out the other kinks later.

To you and Tim, I will be going with urethane bushings. I understand that there is better stuff today than there was 47 years ago and that's the obvious choice. To be honest, the front suspension is something I am completely new to. I will need to do my homework on that.

Q-Dog you are totally right. I got the paint codes mixed up and for some reason thought the marina blue was the dark one. It has to be sapphire blue. Almost makes me wonder how it would've looked with original paint...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Sapphire Blue would probably have had an Alabaster (white) interior. Quite a nice looking combination.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71superbeetle/back.jpg

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Sapphire Blue would probably have had an Alabaster (white) interior. Quite a nice looking combination.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71superbeetle/back.jpg

Absolutely, I've seen that table before. My gut is telling me a tan interior with this red, but I would've loved to buff out the blue and seen how it would have turned out.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Deebs wrote:
To be honest, the front suspension is something I am completely new to. I will need to do my homework on that.

You won't have any issues. The first big hurdle is the willingness to work on it. Obviously, with your engine out, you're past that.

If you've worked on the front suspension of most any modern car, the front suspension of a Super Beetle will seem very simple. It uses the barest elements of modern front suspension design. Wise choice to use urethane bushings.

Tim is a great resource for advice on a stock or near stock car. I'm more of a modder kinda guy. I have two Super Beetles, a '73 and '74. Though I've replaced all of the suspension and brakes on the '73, I had always planned to leave the engine alone. I've gone it tuned now and its running so well and it's actually turned out to be very fun to drive. So much so, my usual daily driver Subaru has been sitting, untouched, in my driveway for two months.

H2OSB
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Deebs wrote:

I had a broken top compression ring on my No.4 piston. Dang.
Being ignorant, I ordered a new set of new piston rings. They were quickly returned when a few of you guys (Cusser specifically) told me that if the top end looks that bad, the bottom end most likely matches.

A man two hours away in Georgia rebuilds engines, and posted a long block for $650. A plus was that it was the same engine code for my year (AE). I drove down, heard it run for a few minutes, and felt confident. Maybe it was a leap of faith. (Wish I had pictures of the day I bought the block, sorry.)

I do know for a fact that after he called me two weeks later, he told me that my old engine I gave to him as a core had a half inch of Permatex in the bottom of the case and that he had never seen anything like that in 40 years
!

Yeah, I thought the engine was pretty bad looking but I would have completely disassembled it and soaked it in detergent a few days to see what I had. You never know. Probably an excellent core. Your engine is a good example of what you get when you run spring loaded pushrod tubes. I have found the OEM style Windage Stainless Steel Pushrod tubes or the Racing ones the way to go.

Still missing some tin: Pieces 9, and 10 here Awesome Powder Coat

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Very nice looking Super. A shame that the engine did not receive the attention like the body did; it was BADLY neglected.

On your new engine, have you noticed that the distributor is rotated a quarter turn CW compared to your old one? You can tell by the positions of that pressed-in "dimple" and the distributor cap clips. It'll run like that as long as you make sure you determine the distributor rotor position when the engine is at the #1 cylinder firing position, and fit the #1 spark plug wire into the hole in the cap that corresponds to that rotor position.

Old engine:

New engine:

Those spring-loaded pushrod tubes on your original engine are mainly intended to be used as a temporary repair in case one of the original 1-piece tube either rusts out or is damaged for various reasons. Saves you from removing the engine and pulling the head. But, if building an engine from scratch, the one-piece factory style tubes are best. I also use the stainless steel stock-style tubes (bellows at both ends); just make sure to pull the tubes apart so that the outer edges of both bellows are the distance per Bentley (191 mm per memory).

What kind of pushrod tubes are on the new engine?

You can easily break up the "bulky" look of the all-black bumpers by applying some 3/4" vinyl marine trim tape into the center groove, red color to match the body color, or even a silver color. Don't use red vinyl electrical tape because the adhesive is too weak. The 1973 Super Beetle based SportsBug had black bumpers, and VW applied color tape to the bumper grooves to match the yellow or the blue-silver body color.

BTW those '73 SportsBug steel wheels will fit your '71. They are 5.5" wide with 26mm offset. Those numbers are stamped into the wheels in the flat areas inboard of the lugbolt holes. If you like that style, note that VW made those "sport" wheels in 2 widths and various offsets. To the uninitiated, they appear the same until you check closer. But since none of the sport wheels were offered in '71 yet, you may not want them for yours.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

Still missing some tin: Pieces 9, and 10 here Awesome Powder Coat

I double checked, and have both of my cylinder lower rear air deflectors on. Are you referring to something else by chance? Maybe the heater box tins? I will put those on before putting the engine back in.

Rome wrote:

On your new engine, have you noticed that the distributor is rotated a quarter turn CW compared to your old one? You can tell by the positions of that pressed-in "dimple" and the distributor cap clips. It'll run like that as long as you make sure you determine the distributor rotor position when the engine is at the #1 cylinder firing position, and fit the #1 spark plug wire into the hole in the cap that corresponds to that rotor position.

What kind of pushrod tubes are on the new engine?

Thanks for pointing that out Rome. I made sure to line up my distributor drive shaft with the notch in the drive gear when installing. For what it's worth, the drive gear is completely seated in the case, however I did notice it is not quite perpendicular to the case. From there my rotor points to 5 o'clock. #1 spark plug wire, 4,3,2 in a clockwise direction.

The pushrod tubes look to be the stock tubes with bellows on either end, and they are installed with the seams up. Hopefully these hold up much better.

The vinyl marine trim tape would be a great idea to add some color to the bumpers.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

What a great looking bug you got there.
Me likey.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
What a great looking bug you got there.
Me likey.

Thanks Joey! I've been following your build thread and it looks great. I hope to get the same rebuilt SVDA from vcfvw69 and eventually a Volksbitz Carb rebuild.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

mmmmmm......

Red Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
mmmmmm......

Red Cool

Very Happy Seriously can't thank you enough for the help right out of the gate. Of all the tips you gave me on parts, I'd have to say these hose clamps made me the happiest. Something satisfying about not tearing up new fuel lines...

Oh, bought lots and lots of vacuum caps for the hose/screw combos on the carburetor.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle Build Reply with quote

That is a really nice paint job! I will be following along!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle "Refresh" Reply with quote

My birthday was a week ago, so we will just say there are a LOT of parts on order that I have been waiting to buy. One of those being a new battery (current one is a Group 24 with a dead cell, neat).

Before I buy one, this battery tray was the only weak point I have found so far in the floor pans. It hadn't gone through yet, but I know that everyday I wait is one more day for rust to grow.

I found at my FLAPS for $22.98 a POR-15 kit. I was quite excited because it has been hard to find in local stores. Had everything out of the box to get the job done.

I understand that I may have over-killed the tray, covering non-metal surfaces in the process. Oh well. The structural integrity went WAY up. The stud in the back was already thrashed up so I will figure out a way to remove what is on it. Easier said than done but...

Made sure to put my ground strap bolt in before painting as well. All in all, it is peace of mind.

I had noticed my three wire splice (generator to alternator conversion) was covered in electrical tape, and I finally mustered the courage to undo it to see what was beneath. The guy took three lugs with a screw and a nut through them. This was after I cut them off.

Speedy Jim covers very subtly on recommended splices for this conversion. This was the closest to what he mentioned and was readily available. Normally $34.98 for the 10 pack... on sale for $8.98. A 2 pack was $7.98.

Finished product. 18-10 AWG. Rated to 105C and 300V. More weight off my shoulders.

When I bought the car, none of my back lights worked. While the weather was nice, I took off the right tail light to find... well...

Why did I expect anything more living in Southeast TN Shocked

Ace sells wire by the foot. Had to get creative with the wiring. Substituted white for grey, and an additional black in lieu of no brown wire for ground. It is taped with a G inside the engine bay.

That's better. Both tail lights looked the same by the way. Both fixed.

I tried putting a band-aid (replacement terminal) on my positive battery cable before and it was honestly a waste of $5.99

a 38" 4AWG was $8.49 at Auto Zone. Some may know this, but tie a string through the end of your starter wire before pulling it through to the battery tray. Untie, throw the old cable as far as you can and tie the new one on and pull back through. Be mindful of the grommet.

Went to a swap meet last weekend and found this for $2

Old

New. Cheap fun refresh.

Turns out I have been using an Ignition Coil meant for a Nissan, so I was beyond excited to get this in the mail.

My clutch kit is coming in today. It is a Sachs KF224-01 from Rock Auto. Good? Bad?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1383195&jsn=3

I know you folks like pictures, so I'll have some more up by next week!

Last edited by Deebs on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle "Refresh" Reply with quote

I gotta get the same coil for mine.
That's a good clutch kit. Sachs makes quality stuff. [/b]
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Deebs' 1971 Super Beetle "Refresh" Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
I gotta get the same coil for mine.
That's a good clutch kit. Sachs makes quality stuff. [/b]

Thanks Joey. I read on multiple threads here Sachs' reputation. Actually got it all put in today.

Go on Amazon and search for Bosch 00012. $38.80 is by far cheaper than other vendors selling it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: