Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan shroud holes?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

What is the best way to fill the holes and fix the dents in this fan shroud?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Ha! I'm doing the same thing on my shroud right now before I get it powder coated. I'm just going to weld the smaller holes shut, and then make small patches for the larger ones. I'm planning on buying this http://www.harborfreight.com/53-amp-12-in-heavy-duty-bandfile-belt-sander-62863.html to grind down the weld beads. Dents, if you're not powder coating, could just be filled with filler before paint, although they do make a special filler for powder coat I believe.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

The best way is Foil tape.

The problem is that won't impress anybody, so, you should weld them all up.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Can I use a epoxy putty? instead of welding?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

If you cant weld them, then I would dimple the holes in a little and you could use a body filler (tiger hair or something) or epoxy after you clean the area really well. Not sure how well filler works if powder coating.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If you cant weld them, then I would dimple the holes in a little and you could use a body filler (tiger hair or something) or epoxy after you clean the area really well. Not sure how well filler works if powder coating.

Unless you know you're gonna be doing some bodywork down the line, that's a pretty expensive fix.
Dimple the holes and try something like this. Can be smoothed & painted when dry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

Unless you know you're gonna be doing some bodywork down the line, that's a pretty expensive fix.
Dimple the holes and try something like this. Can be smoothed & painted when dry.

That's what I had in mind to use. I hope it works. I can't dimple all the holes because I don't have access to the back side of the holes. Sad

02/76 Beetle sedan
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

You dont need access to the back side to dimple. Place the round end of a ball peen hammer on the hole. Strike the ball peen hammer with another hammer. Done. Oh, remove paint first, so it will stick
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Thats what we are talking about. The holes usually have metal sticking up from screws (rub a finger across and you will see what we mean) and by tapping in on the hole, you will have a little divit that you fill so the repair doesnt stick up and can be sanded flat. Only takes a couple minutes more to do that and it will look much better.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
You dont need access to the back side to dimple. Place the round end of a ball peen hammer on the hole. Strike the ball peen hammer with another hammer. Done. Oh, remove paint first, so it will stick

I'll give that a try when I get chance. Thanks

02/76 Beetle sedan
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

If you do go with the JB Weld, make sure you get it as smooth and flat as possible when you're putting it on. That stuff dries as hard as steel and is a MF to work with once solid!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

You can powdercoat right over JB Weld, I've done it many times cleaning up imperfections on motorcycle frames.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

Hammering on a hammer is super dangerous. I have had metal removed from my body after doing that. At least wear eye protection!!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Quote:
Hammering on a hammer is super dangerous. I have had metal removed from my body after doing that. At least wear eye protection!!

If you cant put a ding on sheetmetal without putting yourself in the hospital, you probably wont make a good mechanic. Doesnt require a sledgehammer
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

Here's photos of the epoxy putty repair in the holes of the shroud. Looks like its going to work out. Thanks for the great tips guys. Very Happy

02/76 Beetle sedan
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Better spray some rattle can primer on it so you can see your flaws now. It's a good start, but it's not 'cherry' yet. Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Better spray some rattle can primer on it so you can see your flaws now. It's a good start, but it's not 'cherry' yet. Wink

I already primer the spots on shroud.What do recommend to fill in the low spots?

02/76 Beetle sedan
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

Use a roloc disc on a rotory tool to sand off the primer. Then use the the same glue or the quick version to build it up and then smooth it out with the same roloc disc.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud holes? Reply with quote

I'd skim some filler on the low spots & then sand the whole flat surfaces down with 120 & 320 grit on an 8" sanding block. I keep using red oxide primer to see if it's flat enough for sealer, paint & clear.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: