Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Later EMPI Sportster
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

I've found a magazine article which shows that on the later version, EMPI definitely changed the design of the Sportster windshield hinge to a forward pivot point with no friction knobs and also enclosed the seats. The six page article was in the August 1969 issue of Road Test Dune Buggy and was primarily about the new Imp but also compared it to one of their factory owned Sportsers(with a manufacturer license plate). The article said the Sportster was still in their catalog at that time and was still selling well. It was a great looking Sportster with all the coveted EMPI accessories.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

BL3Manx! Always appreciate what you have found. Love that you take the time to investigate the beloved Sportster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

Nice pics of Sprintstar wheels too.

I've ascertained that the 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 8 inch ones were as they came from the Lemmerz factory in W Germany, but the bigger ones, 10 inch etc seem to have been re-rimmed locally. The 10s I've seen seem to have had the centers machined down to fit into quite agricultural rims; no safety rigdes, 11/16 valve holes and some rather sub standard welding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

Its not easy to see but she has Commandos on her Sprintstars on the back and some kind of radial on the front.

8" is wide enough unless you're going to run some ultra fat implement or sand tire for the dunes. Definitely not DOT

I love the shot with that Sprintstar on the hood, wish it had 5 tread Commandos up front though
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

I had 10s on the rear of my Manx when I first built it, they were so out of true I had to split and reweld the centers. I'll admit they seemed awfully big for the little M12 bolts to hold!

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Later EMPI Sportster Reply with quote

Thanks for the cool info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: