Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Firebuggy's buggy.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Another thing throwing me off is that everything I read says that too lean and the car pops/backfires out the exhaust. I am wondering if too rich does the same? That is why I changed from 50's back to 55 idles as I figured I was lean, but it made it worse. Is it at all possible I need 47's or 45's? That seems way to small for the size of my engine, but I don't know?! I can't imagine running 60's as the plugs are black, I have already replaced them once, and the smell of fuel in the exhaust is overwhelming..

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

What is the rpm of the cam? (What cam is in it)

Popping through carbs is sign of being lean. Popping in exhaust is sign of rich.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

W120 cam.
I have only ever heard it once pop through the carb and that was with a mixture screw turned all the way in.

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Start stepping back on main jets Not drastic, just by 5 lower at a time.

Cam is not too big.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

I think joe has sound advice to try.your issues were my issues.CB performance has a sale on idle jets.i think they r at 3.95 each.thats the cheapest I found them.unless someone knows a better place.they r out of .45,s right now.been hoping some come in soon.i been waiting to see a post that u finally got it running smooth!!..mine drove me nuts.i been getting away with new plugs every week or so,after that they get to carbond up and I start popping thru exhaust and blowing clouds of smoke.just like yours. good luck Sean
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

45's it is. I'll get some ordered.
Thanks for the help.

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Just an update...got the buggy running smooth finally this spring. It was the idle jets causing all the grief. Turns out 50's are too lean and 55's are too rich. I ordered 52.5's from Aircooled and boom...smooth idle, smooth acceleration. No more backfiring or smell of gas. So for anyone out there bouncing between the idle jets in increments of 5, try increments of 2.5 and it may work out for you. Smile

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

awesome!!!...good to hear!!….I bet u were so relieved... Very Happy
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

It was great. Put the jets in, set them 1.5 turns out, turned the key, instant perfect idle and throttle response. Of course, I fine tuned them after that. Wink Put on over 200 miles so far. Just taking it easy to see if there are any other lingering gremlins hiding out. Laughing

I should mention, I went back to the following as well...
F11 Tubes, 210 air, 135 mains, 32 venturis and 2 1/4" velocity stacks.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

were those 44 idfs?...I am running 175 air, F11,s, 36 venturis, 135 mains and 55 idle jet.I am at around 800 feet above sea level...I am going to check the color of my plugs soon.i just went to the 55 idle because I had hot looking plugs..
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

40 Idf's.

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Nice pic from the car show tonight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Applause

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: