Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did they paint two-tone buses?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

I am a whopping 6 days into bus ownership, so feel free to slag me for stupid newbie questions.. hopefully I'll eventually be a contributing member of the community. Laughing

I have a '63 subhatch flipseat that was originally blue white / turkis and I noticed something odd on the passengers side headlight bucket in the cab. It was obviously used as a foot rest for many years because they wore completely through the paint. This exposed the various layers of paint and it looks like there is bare metal, primer, turkis, then blue white.

So does this mean they painted the entire bus the lower color then painted it again where ever it was supposed to be the top color?

And when people do full resprays, do they do the same thing or mask between the two colors?

Here's a pic of the bucket, for reference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

If my memory serves me they did paint the whole but the base color and then paint over that for the top color.

When i did my bus i was going to do the same but the amount of additional paint i would have had to buy made me think twice. (SWR is expensive) Also being an amateur painter i always considered myself lucky when my paint job wend down smooth so why tempt fate and do it twice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be a lot more expensive to double paint. But maybe not in a production environment.

And I just noticed -- is that mouse grey between the primer and turkis? Somebody changed there mind mid-build on it?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

i have the same combo (flipseat turquoise over blue white), and you can see how the bus was painted based on what's left of my OG paint :

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
i have the same combo (flipseat turquoise over blue white), and you can see how the bus was painted based on what's left of my OG paint :

Cool. Definitely painted everything the base.

I assume your dash is white like mine?

And do you have any places that have work through the turkis to see what's under that?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Earlier ones were opposite.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673157&highlight=two+tone+paint
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673157&highlight=two+tone+paint

To be clear, they always completely painted two tone buses the lower color first, and then the upper color on top portion of the bus. Prior to the 1962 model year, they painted the dash and cab area the lower color, after that they painted the dash and cab the upper color.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

The two different greys you are seeing is a primer base then a darker grey sealer.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
I assume your dash is white like mine?

And do you have any places that have work through the turkis to see what's under that?

Yes, my dash is white.

I do have place where turkis is gone, but i'm not 100% sure what primer color is under that... i do believe its a gray similar to yours.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

To be clear, they always completely painted two tone buses the lower color first, and then the upper color on top portion of the bus. Prior to the 1962 model year, they painted the dash and cab area the lower color, after that they painted the dash and cab the upper color.

Awesome! Learn something every day here!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
The two different greys you are seeing is a primer base then a darker grey sealer.

And despite their best efforts, these things still rusted in all the wrong places. Laughing

Do people go through the same process when doing a full respray or are modern products sufficient to prime and seal?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

And despite their best efforts, these things still rusted in all the wrong places. Laughing

Do people go through the same process when doing a full respray or are modern products sufficient to prime and seal?

When I do a full respray I do put a sealer on top of the primer. Most true body shops should. Not sure what they do on the newer waterbase paints. I've never used that yet. Hope I never have to.
Cebu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

I had my 67' painted recently. After the body work and primer the lower section was painted then the upper. You can see photos at my blog.

http://vdubuslife.com/blog/?paged=4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Cebu wrote:
I had my 67' painted recently. After the body work and primer the lower section was painted then the upper. You can see photos at my blog.

That's what I expected from VW as well, but apparently they can't be bothered with that. Very Happy

Love that color, by the way. The paint/body work on that look amazing! I've got just a smidge of work to get to that point.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

I’m sure the labor to apply the second color was more spendy than the actual color.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
I’m sure the labor to apply the second color was more spendy than the actual color.

I think it was more that the two-toning was simply to add a second color and not a sealing everything off type of thing.

Question: On a ‘62-later Bus, the dash is the top color. Is it just painted the top color only? Or is the bottom color underneath like it is on the top half of the Bus ?

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

anyone have any pictures of how they masked to paint the second color?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Becker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Probably like this?

Wearing some great masks there...............Sorry Very Happy
A feeling experienced by Volkswagen Drivers.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
Question: On a ‘62-later Bus, the dash is the top color. Is it just painted the top color only? Or is the bottom color underneath like it is on the top half of the Bus ?

Dash - top color over bottom.
Parcel tray - top only

Cebu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they paint two-tone buses? Reply with quote

Thank you. The bottom is paint code titian red. When I had the original upper white color made it looked too dark for my liking so I went with another color called "cool vanilla" from the Matrix Paint System. I recommend spraying a sample on a flat piece of metal and stand outside in the sun to see if the color is what you really want. I went through 6 tries before I got the "white" I wanted. The red was dead on what I was looking for.

Thompson2 wrote:
Cebu wrote:

That's what I expected from VW as well, but apparently they can't be bothered with that. Very Happy

Love that color, by the way. The paint/body work on that look amazing! I've got just a smidge of work to get to that point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: