Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis vs VIN Number (Help)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilsonsWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

Question

I am trying to figure out the identifiers on my 1980 Vanagon... I am hitting a brick wall. I have read several posts (most on the Samba) but they are making me question things more...

Sorry the post seems long, but I wanted to insert pics of what I have been looking at. Please continue to the bottom as that is where my main inquiry is.

So I am pretty sure I have the correct number for the "Engine Number":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am also pretty sure that the P22 is the Westy setup . . . not sure what the second number in this tag is?

Here is my problem... I thought the VIN was suppose to start with a "W"! Is this not correct? Here is what I thought was the chassis number:

But that number is the same as what is on what I thought was the VIN tag, but this number does not look correct for a VIN:

Any help deciphering here would be greatly appreciated.

1980 Westy Vanagon - Just getting started on the restore!

If you want to see what I am doing to it, I have a facebook page started for the restoration: https://www.facebook.com/wilsonswesty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

They are using A as the year marker in the VIN

w country code vins started in 1983: I think
WilsonsWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

So that is the VIN - well that is a good start and thanks for the input . . . How do I discern the chassis number (or where do I locate it)?

If you want to see what I am doing to it, I have a facebook page started for the restoration: https://www.facebook.com/wilsonswesty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The ISO 17 digit vin system went into effect in the US in 1981. So 1980 MY will not have standard vins which include 1st digit as W for West Germany, and 1 for US etc.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WilsonsWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The ISO 17 digit vin system went into effect in the US in 1981. So 1980 MY will not have standard vins which include 1st digit as W for West Germany, and 1 for US etc.

Thanks! That clears up my concern that it is an incorrect or replacement VIN. Any clue on how to obtain the "Chassis Number"?

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=vanagon+chassis+nu...mp;bih=836
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

WilsonsWesty wrote:
Any clue on how to obtain the "Chassis Number"?

From the Vanagon Forum FAQ:

b) Chassis number: Chassis number is specifically the year digit + sequential production number digits in the VIN. Many times parts are dependent upon your car's chassis number, which is VIN-dependent, often called a VIN-split. An example of this:
To 25-E-11290
From 25-E-11291

The "25" is not always used. The "To E-11290" would indicate the part is for all Vanagons up to 1984 (E) with VIN sequential production number of 11290.

In a 1980 10-digit VIN like yours, the model year is digit position #3, or the letter A. For the 1981+ VINs, the model year is position #10. The sequential production number is the last 5 or 6 digits in the VIN.

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WilsonsWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis vs VIN Number (Help) Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch...
I was so confused.

So in my VIN, the:

25 is the Model (Bus, Camper, all enclosed models)
A is the year 1980
108545 is the production number?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: