Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Let's hope It's a typo or an oversight. Pray
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I suspect it would be a typo. Once I see the EO I could check the ARB site.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I suspect it would be a typo. Once I see the EO I could check the ARB site.

EO is D-193-132. It's all live on the ARB site. Doesn't look like a typo to me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Almost 3 years but it is done. Magnaflow contacted me this morning to let me know the part is now active and in production. I'll post the new corrected part number later today along with a photo of one mounted on my bus as soon as they send me the sample to test. Since Lyle and I already fitted these there should be no reason they would not fit.

The only caveat I can tell some of you who want one, better start looking for the factory exhaust clamp as they can be harder to locate these days.

edit: new part number is 3391449. It isn't in any of the online catalogs yet but maybe someone like BusDepot Bus Depot will be able to order it and have one shipped. I don't have a price but it is ARB certified as a direct fit for both Vanagon and Transporter air cooled stock exhausts that take a Federal one flange catalytic converter. Should perform better than many others too.

Here is the current late 2017 CARB II executive order showing that Transporters and air cooled vanagons are covered, and this is one can be legally sold and installed in California.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-193-132.pdf

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 am; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Woohoo!!

I have two extra clamps I can list in the classifieds if anybody is searching...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Pretty exciting stuff! Just hope they don’t screw something in the process from drawings to production. Kinda like KlokkerKrap...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

came in today. Looks good. I'll test first chance I get and take some photos. Just from eyeballing it, it should fit as well or better than when we tested- and it looks like the catalyst cross section is larger so that should reduce back pressure, lower temps and make more power. Might have a more mellow sound too I am hoping.

Steve
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Nice!

I am grateful for the effort you put in to make this work Steve.

Robbie - I need one please!
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I read the ARB EO a little more closely and certification begins for model year 1977. Does this mean I cannot use it to comply with a '76?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
I read the ARB EO a little more closely and certification begins for model year 1977. Does this mean I cannot use it to comply with a '76?

Tom - that is likely a clerical error but I can't speak for BAR or ARB. You would have to ask a smog guy how he would interpret it. I'd print the PDF and ask your smog guy what he would do. I suspect worst case is you could say you have a 1977 engine in your bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I might add, if you do a search by car type and model year etc on the ARB site there are a bunch of different universal models from different manufacturers that come up under 1977. Most of those don't even fit in the area of the car alloted for the exhaust. That said, those don't come up under 1976 either so I suspect there is some kind of a flaw in the ARB process for a 1976 VW bus. They may be missing something in their records on it - keep in mind that there are actually 2 different 1976 VW bus emission systems. One is based on the 1975 model year system that is exempt and the other on the 1977 and later system. You may need to get a referee to put a sticker on it that says treat this bus as a 1977. The EO is for a truck and that is the main thing. The bus is treated as a truck and not a car. That is what brought this all about - ARB would not allow us to use the car catalytic converters except on a one by one visit to the referee. Some people were allowed to use car catalytic converters, and some were not.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Edit... Nope! This is NOT it. Sorry for posting this:

And there you have it! Cheaper than when I bought mine from Emico several years ago, too!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/california-42..._10047=Yes

Last edited by Wasted youth on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
And there you have it! Cheaper than when I bought mine from Emico several years ago, too!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/california-42..._10047=Yes

Is the picture just a generic one? Because I don't see a flange on it which means one would have to be welded on.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks generic CAD-flavored crap... and I just read that this P/N has a note that “ Catalytic Converter Universal; 2 Inch; California Pre-OBDII; OE Specifications; Cutting And Welding Required During Installation; C.A.R.B. Executive Order Number: D-193-132 “

Part No. 3391004

So... I goofed! That’s still not the right one! We will have to wait a little more. I misread the updated Part Number. My apologies!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Yeah, it looks generic CAD-flavored crap... and I just read that this P/N has a note that “ Catalytic Converter Universal; 2 Inch; California Pre-OBDII; OE Specifications; Cutting And Welding Required During Installation; C.A.R.B. Executive Order Number: D-193-132 “

Part No. 3391004

So... I goofed! That’s still not the right one! We will have to wait a little more. I misread the updated Part Number. My apologies!

what are you referring to Steve? The cat they made which started this thread fits anything that bolts on with a 3 bolt flange and has the tube that the muffler slides into using the special donut clamp. Technically it would fit a catalytic Beetle BUT it is listed for TRUCKS which is how we are able to use it. Lyle and I test fitted several generations the prototype shells to both my bus and his Vanagon before we were satisfied with the fit. This will not work on the double flanged 1979 and later California bus and air cooled Vanagon. Those models can still be found elsewhere also, and aftermarket weld on solutions are available. This catalytic fits 95% of the buses that need a CARB II cat to smog.

The one in the O'Reily ad is a generic cat that does not have the offset needed. This is what the new on will look like when bolted on. The photos are of the prototype shell bolted in - I haven't had time to install the fully functional one. It is on my to-do list, probably when I replace the heads after retiring Nov 1.

SGKent wrote:
Magnaflow cat shell mounted in 1977 bay to see how it fits. I would think this should fit any 1976 - 1978 all; and 1979 - 1982 Federal air cooled. It is a little tighter fit OD but it does fit and bus owners can pass smog with it - then that is what is needed. I would speculate that the larger core will lower emissions, and reduce back pressure a little, letting the engine run cooler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Right, I screwed up. I mis-read the part number in your thread. So I thought the O’Reilly’s site already had these. PN 3391004 is what they actually have... not 3391449.

I don’t care for most CAD drawings, so I looked passed that. ivwshane asked about the CAD drawing, which prompted me to re-visit this. That’s when I discovered my goof.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Right, I screwed up. I mis-read the part number in your thread. So I thought the O’Reilly’s site already had these. PN 3391004 is what they actually have... not 3391449.

I don’t care for most CAD drawings, so I looked passed that. ivwshane asked about the CAD drawing, which prompted me to re-visit this. That’s when I discovered my goof.

it's unlike you to make a mistake. See that as a friendly comment and NOT sarcastic.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Oh hell! Laughing I fuggup all the time 🤪 !
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Not yet available from Magnaflow according to Planet Magnaflow. Apparently they have no date when it will be in production.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

We will offer this when available. I got my hopes up when Magnaflow showed two on hand, only to be told that they were early production that did not meet QC and weren't actually available, and that there is no firm ETA yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: