Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needing help with motor ID
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have most probably a 1958-1961 B block that I´ve a hard time identifying as the third piece has most likely been replaced over the years.
The third piece shows P 86745 indicating a 1600S from 1960, but the three digit block numbers above the flywheel on the opposite side of the block don´t match the one on the third piece. Further on, the case number is 32619 and shows "1600".
So what I want to ask is, is there another way to pinpoint/identify the block to a certain motor type and year just with the help of the block 32619 number itself?
The motor also carries 502 con rods and has 4 ring pistons, but surely all this can have been replaced back in the days. The lot (incomplete motor more or less in parts) also came with dismantled cast-iron cylinders and 616 04 25 heads.
Can anyone shed light on this mystery?

Thanks,
Dennis
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dennis 356 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 am; edited 3 times in total
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with motor ID Reply with quote

http://www.356a.com
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with motor ID Reply with quote

I sent a query about it to Eric at 356a.com already months ago but never got any reply....

Last edited by dennis 356 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

At the 356a site above you enter the # then hit search or try this.

https://porsche356registry.org/chassis
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
At the 356a site above you enter the # then hit search or try this.

https://porsche356registry.org/chassis

Entering #32619 which is a case number, not motor number, shows an engine from 1953 which is nonsens as a ´53 would I guess be a two piece case.
On the 356 Registry I´m not authorized to access the page as I´m not a member, so I´m screwed again.....
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

i have 4 porsche blocks of my own that i was trying to figure out what they came out of...when i typed the numbers in they all came up as invalid numbers...i think that site is more of a registry for existing cars and engines that have been entered into their database and is of no use for a block that came out of a junk car 30 years ago...
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
i have 4 porsche blocks of my own that i was trying to figure out what they came out of...when i typed the numbers in they all came up as invalid numbers...i think that site is more of a registry for existing cars and engines that have been entered into their database and is of no use for a block that came out of a junk car 30 years ago...

I also have 4 old blocks and identifying them on 356a.com works flawlessly, but it have to be the P ..... numbers, not case numbers......

Send me those numbers and I´m going try from my computer
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

The main case with the 32619 number and 1600 marking would have been a 1959 1600 Normal engine. It would have had an engine number around P*752xx*. You can get a feel for these case numbers from Pellow's book "Secrets of the Inner Circle"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
The main case with the 32619 number and 1600 marking would have been a 1959 1600 Normal engine. It would have had an engine number around P*752xx*. You can get a feel for these case numbers from Pellow's book "Secrets of the Inner Circle"

Yep, I´m suspecting about the same and will see the exact production year once I succeed to split the case and will be able to see the stamp under the cam pulley.

Unfortunately I don´t have the book mentioned, but its of course in my bucket list.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

Case solved now after finally splitting the case and removing the cam shaft gear, where under it showed case being from 8/59 (Normal).

Dennis
tfrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

So close! That third piece is 20 digits away from the one I need --- 86725. They were probably sitting on the factory floor together in late May-early June 1960.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Needing help with motor ID Reply with quote

WOW, increadible indeed !!!

Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: