Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet project, post some updates! Also, the best thing for rust removal is citric acid powder, look it up. Easy to use, it's cheap, no toxic fumes, and works better than anything I've ever used.
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a break on this project. I'm moving and fixing up an old house. Once settled in, I'll get back on this Smile
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the old house for 5 months and we are moving this month. Because of that, I needed to get this project to rolling status so today I installed a rebuilt tranny I got from Joe Crockett. He had it as a left over from a previous project.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Project_dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking project you got there.
ento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have a had chance to make some progress. Can't wait to see the car finished. I would kill for one like that
64,66,67,68 bug
69,70 bay
61 Ragtop bug, 61 sedan(looking for the vert)
61 RHD Ragtop Semaphore bug fakeAF
64,64 KG
74 thing
55 oval
70 ratrod
73 fastback pignose
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoring an old house is time consuming and expensive. We moved into the new (old) house one year ago this month and have been working on the outside and finishing up inside. Just to show I haven't been slacking here are some photos of the house project.
http://s186.photobucket.com/user/losthillsguy/libr...amp;page=4

I also started the 56 Ragtop project this month after finding a new painter... so I have a lot going on right now.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594131

I need to get the 66 to the new painter I found because the other guy lost interest? Hopefully in the next couple of months we should see some movement.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
Restoring an old house is time consuming and expensive. We moved into the new (old) house one year ago this month and have been working on the outside and finishing up inside. Just to show I haven't been slacking here are some photos of the house project.
http://s186.photobucket.com/user/losthillsguy/libr...amp;page=4

Neat!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60CDNSTD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
I have a question. How many wires goes to the turn signal switch on a 1200a?

Dustin

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1638666

3 wire with a 4th lead coming off one wire. Mine is for sale, link above.
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Tom - and I've taken over this project from Brian!
We have been friends for about 18 years now and this just looked like too cool of a project to pass up. I'm going to just pick away at it and hopefully have it back on the road in two years or so. My main passion is Karmann Ghia type 34s and this my first beetle of the many vintage VWs I have owned. I now own the most expensive VW you could buy - a 68 Type 34 with electric sliding roof and automatic transmission and the other end of the spectrum - the least expensive VW, a 1200a which costs 1/2 as much. (of course this model was $50 or so more with the ragtop option).

Another cool thing that has happened is when I finally received the birth certificate for my T34, it turns both cars where made on he same date! (two years apart).

I post, and keep this thread going.

LHG wrote:
First a little background.
I first heard about this car on January 6, 2009. It was up for sale and the owner wanted it to go to someone who could appreciate what it was and keep it stock. After doing a bit of research and checking out the car I made the 700 mile round trip and bought it on January 10, 2009. What followed was an exhaustive research on the car and what would have been correct for this model.

A classic example of "Rare does not mean Valuable".
It's a rare car, a post 1963 factory ragtop is one of those cars you hear about but rarely see. There are only a handful in the US and maybe less than 20 or so world wide. I can't afford some of the more common expensive cars people seek, so I just call this my Hebmueller Wink Very Happy

I received the Birth Certificate from VW and it confirms that it is a Model 115 which is a 2 door Sedan; Standard Model LHD with sliding roof. One thing I like about this car it doesn't require any explanation about how it was built for this or that special market, or how it happened to come with some odd level of trim. This is just a straight forward, delivered to Germany, stock with no options, 1966 Model 115.

Here is a topic I started to find out more about this model.
1966 European Standard, what was OG
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336263

Why a complete restoration?
In a word, Rust. For a car that spent a lot of time in California, it's pretty rusty. Most of its life was in San Francisco and then moved to near the river bottom in Chico. Rusty heater channels, cancer bubbles here and there and the drivers side pan was toast. It was also repainted on the outside and needed some body work from getting tapped both front and rear.

Fortunately, it still has most of the Standard parts and hasn't been hacked up. I usually wouldn't take on a car with this much body repair but I'm doing it as a labor of love, or just because I'm foolish!

Restoration Guidlines
Here is the cars Birth Certificate.

Here is a list I made a while back about some of the differences between a 66 Deluxe and Standard.

The car has been completely disassembled and most of the correct parts have been obtained... So now let the fun begin!

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
Oliwer Lorenc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Can you show me your right rear wheel arch?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Any updates?
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Lets see -

I've picked up a NOS painted hubcap just to get the correct silver.
Later I found 4 NOS un-chromed hubcaps. So now I have almost everything that needs to be painted.

But, this project is a bit on hold. I picked up a Porsche for my daily driver and have been spending plenty of money there. Also, I have decided to make my other two vintage VWs 100 % finished. I need to take care a few items, nothing big.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Any updates?

What about now? Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

I have a painter lined up, but need to figure out when that can happen.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG wrote:

don't the axle gaiters need re-orientating? the join is where it will get most stress.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finster wrote:
LHG wrote:

don't the axle gaiters need re-orientating? the join is where it will get most stress.

I think that is correct the way it is. (But I'm not sure) That how it was on the car originally.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

The workshop manual calls for the split boot seam to be installed horizontally and toward the rear, though common practice usually dictates putting the seam at 10 or 2 o'clock to help prevent leaks while keeping the seam as close as possible to horizontal. The reason you don't want the seam straight up is so that the boot can flex as much as possible during suspension cycling without putting undue strain on the boot -- having the thick seam straight up stresses the boot and leads to tearing.

reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

I have a question -
A guy I know has a complete 40hp plug and play motor for sale. He's a retired VW mechanic. What should I look for so it would look correct in my 1200A? Or, was it basically the same motor for it's run, or were later ones different than earlier motors?

I have a H block and another complete engine with the correct tin and parts. But I think I'd rather just get a good solid motor like the one that is for sale.

Thanks, Tom

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Tom,

Given your late 66 chassis number you would want to run the air cleaner pre-heat hose to the left heater box same as the late 1300's.

Here is my fuzzy pic of how a late 66 should look:

This is how the front tin looks, and you can just make out the fitting on the left heater box:

Rear tin is unique too, no hole for pre-heat tube. Not exact but something like this:

Of course to be 100% correct the engine should have a D stamped serial number, your friends probably doesn't have that but only the detail nuts will notice that.

Internally late 40's got cam bearings and most other progressive engine refinements but those are hidden from view inside the case.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration:1966 1200A Model 115 Sedan with Sunroof (Ragtop) Reply with quote

Thanks so much -

That does help. Of course the three options I'm looking at now - 2 complete rebuilt motors or rebuild a motor I have using a correct case - none of them have the pre-heat hose in that location! Smile

Would I be forgiven if I didn't get that detailed on the engine?

TR

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: