Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancynancy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

Hi. Happy vwing to all. Recently we ungaraged our 73 thing. My father died and my mom didn't care about it so it sat there. Anyway. I knew to get it going we d have to empty fuel tank, tires, etc. Well recently took to mechanic to get it up and running again.
He replaced carburator, cleaned tank, checked brakes and replaced tires. I drove it home and it was awesome. So many memories. It drove fine doing between 35 and 45 (maybe). No issues.
Today, week later I went to take it for a spin. Minutes after the journey began i approached stop sign, downshifting as my father always taught me, letting me foot off the accelerator and the car began to shake. HARD. My cheeks were flapping. I tried my foot easily on brake pedal and it didn't improve so I pushed harder, then it just stopped. I was still moving, but it just stopped. Like nothing ever happened.
It happened one other time during trip but didn't last as long, and not as hard.
I thought motor mount??? But it would happen more frequent. Does anyone have any clue?
Thanks for your time. And thing on.....
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

No "motor mounts" on the Thing. Motor hangs off the transaxle. Transaxle has three mounts. Sounds like a clutch adjustment is needed. Specifically check the "droop" of the Bowden tube.
fancynancy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

Droop. Ok. And what am I checking it for.....
Thank you for setting me straight on the mounts. I didn't think it could have been culprit anyway because it would happen more frequent.
If you have time, could you explain this droop a little more
fancynancy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

Oh...the clutch feels just perfect. I hadn't driven car 8 or 9 years and it let out just as I remember. AND pushing clutch all way in didn't stop it nor did releasing it all together.
I'm taking foe another test drive today with friend in vehicle. Maybe he 'll know. My own personal click and clack. Well no. Just clack today
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

The clutch ca feel fine but still be in need of adjustment or a Bowden tube check. It’s hard to pinpoint from your description. Hopefully another ride will show more.

You’re going to need to spend some study to pick up the basics if you want to thrive in the air cooled world. It’s really fun.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/11-0800.html

AMAC
fancynancy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sporatic Hard core shuddering when let off fuel Reply with quote

I am SO very much looking forward to my future.

My future so cold, I gotta drive a thing.....

THANK you again for the responses and I will get on that adjustment and keep my fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: