Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator and brake light on.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sediltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Generator and brake light on. Reply with quote

Driving on Sunday both generator and brake light came on. Stopped and checked belt all good, had 1 hr. drive home with out problems. Checked generator with meter giving 85+ volts at higher RPMS, replaced voltage regulator (had one) still same problem. I have good blue wire from regulator to brake light.
Any thoughts?
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Generator and brake light on. Reply with quote

It sure sounds like it has to be something in that blue wire that goes to both the generator light and the brake light from the regulator (terminal #61 on the regulator and the light) or possibly a regulator issue.

Measure the voltage on this wire at the brake light with the engine running. I believe the brake light will light up in "test" mode if it isn't getting voltage on terminal 61 just like it would when you turn the key on but the engine isn't running.
sediltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator and brake light on. Reply with quote

My Napa VR had to be polarized ???, I did as instructions now brake light and generator light pulse.

Note, battery has good voltage, car stalls when I remove battery terminal.

Any thoughts.
sediltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Generator and brake light on. Reply with quote

Problem solved, D.O.A. voltage regulator out of box. NAPA junk. only created several days of head scratching, it tested my skills and patience.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: