Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cargo Door Removal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWTortuga336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

Like lots of people, I'm having a really difficult time removing my cargo doors. I'm trying to weld a bolt on to the screw head, but I can't get good weld penetration. Any tips on how to get the bolt securely fastened onto the screw?

A lot of the posts I've read regarding cargo door removal just say "weld a bolt on". Not having much luck with that!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

If the impact driver fails I weld a nut on, the bigger the better so most or all of the screw head shows inside, then there's lots of room to start a good hot drooly bead on the screw head and then herd it over to the nut getting it red hot in the process.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

Before you put a torch or a welder to the screws, try this.
https://www.yardstore.com/short-screw-extractor-screw-knocker-old-man-4
Best tool ever.
Put in a bit that matches the screw, snap it into your air chisel and go. Obviously hit it with some PB Blaster or similar before.

I’m impatient and didn’t want to wait for shipping, so I made my own.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

Be careful using an impact style screw extractor. Wear Eye protection. My father was using one like that at his job and it sheared a piece of the Phillips screw that hit him bullseye center of the pupil. He is blind in that eye now. It was awful, it swole up and looked like a ball the size of a small orange of raw hamburger meat with an iris and pupil in the middle. It freaked me out as a 17 year old seeing my dad's eye like that. Probably one of a million chance but still be very careful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the.fordhams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

The impact story blinding someone was fairly horrific and sobering - sorry that happened to him.

The last door I had trouble with pushed the solution to new horizons. Usually my favorite #4 screwdriver and its 13mm wrench flats break everything free but not this time. If not I have sometimes cut a long 2" x 2" to an exact length then hammer it into place to brace the screwdriver into the screw head, and then turn the 13mm wrench. Nope. The impact screwdriver thing also did not work and I stopped getting mad as the screw plate was getting loose and somehow undoing the impact effect. So we break out the welder but I too could not get enough penetration to make the welded screw or welded nut thing work.

Sooo... ugly as it sounds, I cut an access slit on the inside of the B pillar and peeled back the metal like a can to expose the other side of the rusted up screw. Somehow soaking this in penetrant, working the screw in and out, in and out I eventually got it to move. I had to careful as the impact had made the plate loose so I had to catch the retaining plate from dropping into the rocker.

To make it all good again, I got one of these but the plate is very simple and you could make your own quite easily. And in fact I had to trim this one to fit better.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211809200B

All good, but now I have a slit to reweld on the inside of the B pillar. Not sure if I would do this again.
67 SO42 welding project
03 Eurovan Weekender
08 Touareg 2 V6

WANTED :
Bob King VW dealer Wilmington NC dealer tag surround and any Literature for 03 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

I clean the head off and just built up the weld until I can get vice grips on it. Sandblaster works great at cleaning the rust and paint out of the head. Use a high heat but not high enough to melt into the hinge. May want to practice before hitting the bus.

If the head snaps off you can try again after the hinge is out but it takes a bit more care to not weld the threads to the plate.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

Just started on this adventure on my '64. 6 of the 8 broke free, the two on the bottom front are frozen solid. Already stripped 'em out, so drilling is next.

Does anybody make torx bolts for these?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo Door Removal Reply with quote

Well, I had a very hard time too. Penetration oil like WD40 (or better stuff) did not work, heating and an impact screwdriver neither. I also tried to weld screws with hexagon heads on, but most time I did not get good penetration, because the area is hard to get to or the scew theads broke during turning. In the end, I drilled a small hole into the screw center and used a left-turn extractor. You use it normally with a tap wrench to turn it, but it that got killed too. I welded a nut on it, so I could use a bigger socket. This worked for me, but unfortunately a few scews broke during removal. I now have a few parts still sitting in the theaded plate of the pillar. Is there a good way/place to cut open the pillar and remove the plate (anyone done it and has pictures in a build thead)?
I like to remove the plate to cut new threads into it or if possible just remove what is left from the scews..

That‘s my tool with a good extracted screw (see the damaged threads, maybe that is why it was so hard):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: