Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

What a great thread perello. Carry on with the updates, great info.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
new aluminium oil cooler from cip1 is in with the green adapter seals..lets see the outcome

good news. It's not leaking anymore Smile
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
perello wrote:
new aluminium oil cooler from cip1 is in with the green adapter seals..lets see the outcome

good news. It's not leaking anymore Smile

Are you using the venturi's that came with the carbs? They're bigger than what the original Solex cabs came with, and Joe Ruiz has the correct ones. That may help your bottom end.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Are you using the venturi's that came with the carbs? They're bigger than what the original Solex cabs came with, and Joe Ruiz has the correct ones. That may help your bottom end.

But I am using original solex carbs form an okrasa engine.

As I am not using this bus much, I think it needs to do more miles to improve behaviour. However I might experiment with smaller venturis (if they exists) to see what happens.

thanks!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Hello.
Let me get this straight.
- Youre using dual port Okrasa heads on a 1200 displacement engine, or a 1286 cc engine?

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
jays58s wrote:

But I am using original solex carbs form an okrasa engine.

As I am not using this bus much, I think it needs to do more miles to improve behaviour. However I might experiment with smaller venturis (if they exists) to see what happens.

thanks!

Oh ok, I didn’t realize you had original Solex’s. I’d try to put more miles on it and see how it goes after some miles.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Hello.
- Youre using dual port Okrasa heads on a 1200 displacement engine, or a 1286 cc engine?

Hmm not sure as the engine was built by joe ruiz, but i would guess 1286cc as it has barrel shims.

Whats the difference...?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Hello.

T

The Okrasa Kit was designed for the 36hp and 40hp engines. I believe they even made the kit for 1500cc engines.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Apart from about 100 cc´s, - A lot! But when it has barrel shims it is most likely a 1286, which is good, because a 1200 cc w. Okrasa heads can´t pull the skin off of a rotten banana. The 1286 is much better, but still doesnt pull that much torque. It should however "wake up" when it passes about 2800 rpm. If it doesnt you may still have a jetting and or timing issue. Personally I would´nt reduce venturi size. What says Joe about it?

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Apart from about 100 cc´s, - A lot! But when it has barrel shims it is most likely a 1286, which is good, because a 1200 cc w. Okrasa heads can´t pull the skin off of a rotten banana. The 1286 is much better, but still doesnt pull that much torque. It should however "wake up" when it passes about 2800 rpm. If it doesnt you may still have a jetting and or timing issue. Personally I would´nt reduce venturi size. What says Joe about it?

T

Barrel shims have nothing to do with engine size, only the compression ratio of the engine.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

Barrel shims have nothing to do with engine size, only the compression ratio of the engine.

Probably shim was a misnomer , they are really thick spacers.

I bought the longblock only from him, the rest was built by myself. I do agree that jetting will need to be tuned and probably the stock exhaust is not what this engine asks for.

However in general, i read SP engines have stronger low end torque than DP ones..its right?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Probably shim was a misnomer , they are really thick spacers.

I bought the longblock only from him, the rest was built by myself. I do agree that jetting will need to be tuned and probably the stock exhaust is not what this engine asks for.

However in general, i read SP engines have stronger low end torque than DP ones..its right?

Single port definitely makes more low end torque. I’m going to leave my 36 single port just for that reason.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
......you may still have a jetting and or timing issue. Personally I would´nt reduce venturi size. What says Joe about it?

Did I do your carburetors? Even though you have the original SOLEX 32 PBIC's, the throttle shafts maybe worn and bypassing air causing rough idle and hard to balance. What about jet sizes and/or venturi's? If they are the wrong size, you will not get optimum power throughout the entire RPM range.

You have to check and verify/eliminate all the variables first rather than guessing otherwise you're going to be making adjustments that are fine and maybe causing more issues.....

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer Joe!

I will write down the jet sizes I am using to check with you guys, the carbs came from a 40hp okrasa engine, so most probably the jetting is not perfect.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Jetting is 115 main, pump 50, idle 52.5, air correction 170 and main air correction 120

In another thread i read

"Regarding your choice of ventruis, how do you want your car to drive?

Do you prefer to step on the gas at 2K and have something happen? If so, try the 28mm venturis first. If you prefer to let all the other cars pass you by until you finally reach 4K, then go with the 32mm. Given the modest duration of your cam, I suspect that the 32mm venturis may be a bit of a mismatch. Keep in mind that Pre-A Supers came with 26mm venturis for for normal driving, and used 29mm for racing. "

Which makes me really interested to try 28mm venturis...somebody has a suggestion on where to get them?

Cheers
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
Jetting is 115 main, pump 50, idle 52.5, air correction 170 and main air correction 120

Jet sizes for a 1300cc Okrasa engine using Solex 32 PBIC carbs should be:

Main Jet - Gg / 115

Air correction jet - a / 240

Venturi / 24mm

Idle fuel jet - G / 50

Idle air bleed - u / 1.0

Emulsion tube - s / 23

Accelerator jet - Gp / 45

Start (choke) fuel - Gs / 120

The above of course can vary depending on compression ratio, gearing, dist., etc....

Hopes this helps. Cheers

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Thanks Joe!

My setup is then

Main Jet - Gg / 115

Air correction jet - a / 240

Venturi / 24mm

Idle fuel jet - G / 45

Idle air bleed - u / 1.2

Emulsion tube - s / 23

Accelerator jet - Gp / 50

Start (choke) fuel - Gs / 140

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a soruce for smaller venturis, so I will try 22 or 20 inner and see what does it do with low rev torque
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

24 mm venturies should make the engine peak around 4500 rpm (theoreticly) I´d still say that that is just about spot on for a 1300 Okrasa.
IMHO switching to a smaller venturi will most likely not help lower rpm performance. It would be something like swopping to 28 mm PCI´s, and an Okrasa with 28 PCI´s does not run better, it just pulls less hp.
28´s on a 1200 cc is fine, or even a 1286 cc sgl port. That´s about it.

For comparison. A 22 mm venturi would make the theoretical peak around 3800 rpm. (This is of couurse all theory. But it tells a little about how much the airflow is affected by such a swop in venturi size.)

T
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

This is such a great little engine to see in your bus, Beautiful!

Surprised to see you say that Alstrup! It should be able to be jetted a little richer mainly more accelerator pump volume and pump jet size not sure that can be done with those Solex carbs? The thing to try would be the Solex PCIB's 32 carbs Abarth auxiliary venturi booster. The venturi must be too big for the jetting in the carb what with such small valves and displacement. Remember the Porsche 1600N engine only used 24mm ventures.
The 36Horse is so low on compression and all it probably needs a venturi booster. e-bay. Richer Idle jetting would help as "Mr.Okrasa" shows.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

While assembling back I screwed this bad

If someone knows where I can source a spare please message me Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: